U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 02:43 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,010,378 times

Advertisements

This map is pretty interesting too:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 03:24 PM

357 posts, read 1,252,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
That map is crazy. It says that there's a county on Long Island that has 75% adherents and that my county in TN has 35-50% adherents. I wouldn't doubt that about my county, but I highly doubt it about that county on Long Island.
Those "adherents" on Long Ilsand are most likely Italian-Americans who still identify with their Catholic background, but don't attend church regularly or think about God all that much.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:39 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,488,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
i thought it would be fun if each person could post a map of the USA showing any trend or theme, political, ecological, social, legal or otherwise

I'll start with a map of marijuana laws (no, i don't smoke)

http://andrikyrychok.files.wordpress...ates-20081.gif

and a map of the religion i follow, Pentecostal Christianity

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...entecostal.gif
Like it how Florida is the strictest state in the country about marijuna

I assume the grey states mean they follow federal law only?

Old 11-28-2009, 04:14 PM

7,606 posts, read 9,461,621 times
Quote:
Those "adherents" on Long Ilsand are most likely Italian-Americans who still identify with their Catholic background, but don't attend church regularly or think about God all that much.
Very true. I also think that a better result would have been obtained if the question was worded, " In what religious denomination were you raised"?
I know that more and more people are "lapsed Catholics", agnostics, etc, but asking about their background would really be much more informative.

Old 11-28-2009, 04:22 PM

3,644 posts, read 9,010,378 times
I thought the adherents were based on church membership. I know that's how thearda.com does it and it basically has the same results as the maps. It's probably not from a survey.

EDIT: I checked, they are from the same source. This is how they get the number of adherents:

Quote:
Members include only those who are designated as “full members” by the congregation. Congregational "adherents" include all full members, their children, and others who regularly attend services or participate in the congregation. When religious groups reported only adult membership, the following formula was used to derive the number of adherents: The total county population was divided by the total county population less children 13 years and under (derived from census), and the resulting figure was multiplied by the confirmed members. Using adherents allows for more meaningful comparisons between groups that count children as members (e.g., Catholics) and those that don't (e.g. Baptists).
http://www.thearda.com/mapsReports/RCMS_Notes.asp

So as far as Catholics go, it's not just people who identify as Catholics, it's people who are on a church roll somewhere. I don't know how often rolls are updated. I know they have the same problem in Baptist churches though. My brother is still counted as a member of a Baptist church even thought he only went there one time.

Last edited by Smtchll; 11-28-2009 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-28-2009, 06:36 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,982,118 times
See how U.S. religious landscape has changed in nearly 2 decades - USATODAY.com

That map goes by state though and is part of an article. A notable difference is Montana and Wyoming. In the ARIS/USA Today Map Montana comes out 21% no religion and Wyoming 28% without a religion. Mississippi is the lowest for "no religion", but North Dakota has the second lowest percent and South Dakota has a lower percent than Kentucky. However a good deal of religious come out as Catholic and "Bible Belt" type terms usually involve Protestantism as they believe in Sola Scriptura.

On a different vein another thematic map I find interesting is the "personality map of the United States." Not saying it's valid, but it's fun. North Dakotans are listed as agreeable, extroverted, low in neuroticism, and highly closed off. Religious and closed off, sounds like a dream state for me! (I am more open online than in life, but even then I almost never tell anyone online where I live or my last name)

The United States of Mind - WSJ.com

Then the government has a list of thematic maps. The following is of Native Americans, as it includes Yupik Eskimos, by state.

United States: American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2000

Old 11-28-2009, 06:53 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,251,135 times
Quote:

Yeah, hardly anyone on Long Island is religious. My husband said that first map probably has to do with how many churches there are, and obviously there are quite a bit since the density is pretty high here.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:00 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,867,215 times
Interesting one this is: http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...ics/elazar.gif

Old 11-28-2009, 07:02 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,982,118 times
They list that part of Long Island in red, but if you look at the guide red means "50.1-75%." Wikipedia does list the majority of people in Long Island as belonging, at least nominally, to some religion. A place in the US with 52% claiming some or any religion does not exactly imply to me it's super-religious.

If anything I think it's lighter colors that are odd. I really didn't think there were many places in the US where less than 35.1% of people belong to any religion of any kind. Although they are only studying "149 religious bodies" and I don't know what those entail. Considering Alaska and Hawaii maybe they're not counting the religions of indigenous peoples or Buddhists.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:11 PM

20,855 posts, read 35,982,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
That one source, Valapraiso University, is neat.

Like North Dakota seems to be one of the most "religious" states in the country with more people in some religious body than Tennessee by the looks of it. The coastal part of the Pacific Northwest, perhaps unsurprisingly, looks the least religious.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo.../adherents.gif

Neat source, thanks.

I can't think of a map at the moment though.
I love the Valpo maps. I went to school there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.