U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:25 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,049,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If I only lust in my heart oes it still count? Too many obligations and restrictions to do much traveling at this point of my life. Maybe later I'll get my chance to explore the places I haven't been yet.
You bring up an interesting point. Does wanderlust mean traveling to different places or living different places? I always think of wanderlust as living. I am thankful that my parents showed me a lot of this country by traveling when I was younger. But now that I've seen so many places, I'd like to get to experience them for more than just a 1 week vacation. There are also places I haven't seen yet that I'd like to get to experience living in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 02:04 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,565,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I have wanderlust but I must admit, I could never do that. I'd want to live in each place for at least an entire year. I feel that you need to live somewhere for a year to really experience it (plus that way you get to see what each season is like).
That would be optimal but not as feasible when you have bligations like a gf/wife. And even friends in an area or two that you want to keep in contact with. If you make roots then continually uproot yourself you are going to be missing some stuff in your life. One month is feasible to be gone at a time, a year? not so much...
I agree with you though and if you are younger this is doable, I've done that route before, lived in a few cities so far but need another angle now.
As a u.s. citizen being abroad doesn't work out so well for a year at a time in other countries b/c of visa issues also.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:45 PM

13,577 posts, read 22,029,861 times
Quote:
I have wanderlust but I must admit, I could never do that. I'd want to live in each place for at least an entire year. I feel that you need to live somewhere for a year to really experience it (plus that way you get to see what each season is like).

I think it takes at least 2 years in a place in your home country to truly experience it, and at least 3 years in a place that is in a foreign country.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:52 PM

309 posts, read 1,114,946 times
Greetings,

When I researched my family - there was personal notes about my 3GGG & they said he had wonderlust.
After his wife died and he sold his only home he knew. I wondered if he wanted to go out and look around the world. Or was his mind slipping? and the funniest part about it was his Drs name was Dr. Batty.
I think we all are somewhat curious what different places are like. God did create a beautiful museum for us to enjoy.
Be Blessed

Old 11-28-2009, 06:50 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,248,832 times
I'm pretty sure that I've always had wanderlust. I enjoy some travel almost anywhere. I've moved around the west some. Now I'm thinking about the next place to move. I just haven't decided upon one place. I'm going to keep on looking around.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:24 PM

4,679 posts, read 10,861,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If I only lust in my heart oes it still count? Too many obligations and restrictions to do much traveling at this point of my life. Maybe later I'll get my chance to explore the places I haven't been yet.
FWIW - please don't procrastinate... if ya've an interest, go do it.

I've always had a keen interest in wanting to experience and see the various cultures, geography, foods, architects, etc. Whenever travel, it will be me for one that is out and about going 24/7 to capture as much as possible. No offense to anyone, but those that sit in hotel rooms during travels just kill me - get out and see this beautiful varied world.

Here is a few of the wheres on my world wide wish list:
Canyonlands National Park - Photos & Multimedia (U.S. National Park Service)
Yellowstone National Park - Photos & Multimedia (U.S. National Park Service)
World of Waterfalls: Visit the world's most beautiful waterfalls
GORP - Patagonia
Stone Forest — Photo Gallery — National Geographic Magazine
25 Wonderful Places To Visit In Your Lifetime! | The Travelers Zone

Old 11-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 19 days ago)

10,483 posts, read 14,316,428 times
Quote:
You bring up an interesting point. Does wanderlust mean traveling to different places or living different places? I always think of wanderlust as living. I am thankful that my parents showed me a lot of this country by traveling when I was younger. But now that I've seen so many places, I'd like to get to experience them for more than just a 1 week vacation. There are also places I haven't seen yet that I'd like to get to experience living in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
FWIW - please don't procrastinate... if ya've an interest, go do it.
I've already done quite a bit a traveling in the states. I used to terrify my folks when I was younger, lone young woman hopping into her car and taking off by herself for weeks at a time, they thought I was crazy.
I've also lived in half a dozen states but I would love to make it more. Working for the same job for ages, raising kids, and buying a house have kind of slowed me down.
Still, when I'm retired, if the money is there, I'd love to try living in the Florida Keys for a while, maybe upstate New York, and the area around Oregon, Washington and Idaho looks like it would be interesting too. Not keen on living in larger cities but New Orleans might be fun to live in, briefly.
Now, if Bill Gates dies and leaves me all his money, all bets are off, you'd never see me again I'd be so busy traveling the world.

Old 11-28-2009, 09:31 PM

631 posts, read 1,394,563 times
Here's a list of the places i'd like to eventually live in for some time:
Denver, Colorado (lived in the burbs for a year while our house was being built, still live within 25 miles of it)
Either Tulsa or Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (family lives in Oklahoma)
Dallas, Texas (there's just something about this place that i absolutely love)
Jacksonville, Florida (i was born here, yet i moved away when i was three. i want to live in the home i never had)

Old 11-28-2009, 10:22 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,455,565 times
Quote:
I do. Even if I like a place, I can't see myself ever living somewhere for more than a few years because there are so many places I'd like to live.

I figured city data would attract a lot of people with wanderlust.

I know what your saying, there is just too much out there to experience and so little time in life, there are responsibilities that get in the way of actually getting out there and experiencing everything this county has to offer.

I want to live in Atlanta, Alabama, West Texas, Iowa, NYC, So.Cal, maybe even up somewhere in northern Michigan.

I wish I could try them all out, some for a couple years and some I could actually settle down in and live for the rest of my life.

If I won the lottery I would have properties in all these states.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:27 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,565,147 times
^hrrmm i'm more into foreign countries... i've done pretty much everything in the u.s. already multiple times. I'm a travel junkie though so...
Youguys talk about responsiblities but I try not to take on responsiblities or even lots of furniture and stuff... try to stay very mobile in case opportunitiy arises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or