U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 08:01 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,366,973 times

Advertisements

I live near a Costco, but have never bothered going there. Not quite sure what the big deal is.

I see there are 14 of them in the Chicago area. I don't hear much about them though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 02:53 AM

4,832 posts, read 10,888,606 times
So it sounds like Costcos do appear in rural outskirt areas and are not prone to just being in metros.

I think malls are more likely to be found in metros and in cities than malls. It seems Costco can be like a super walmart and be in rural areas.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:48 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,585,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Nassau County in New York did a very smart think years ago. The key in this case is to remember that the county collects a sales tax on some items.

They put a major mall (Green Acres) right next to the western border with Queens. All the way east on the other side of the county, is another major mall (Sunrise Mall) on the border of Suffolk. There are a couple of smaller shopping areas along the borders also.

Thus, Nassau County collects sales taxes from Queens and Suffolk residents crossing the border to shop.
Chicagoland has done this for years, esp. on the Evanston/Skokie/northern city borders.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:50 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,585,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
There are many sheetz in the DC area, but further out
Not in DC Metro. Front Royal, for example, is not considered DC Metro. Yet....

Old 12-02-2009, 02:01 AM

I have been bummed that my area doesn't have a mall yet. The nearest mall is an hour away from back home where I used to live. The nearest mall isn't even that good.

I think the major city in my area could get a mall eventually with Dillards and JcPenneys. Both are tenets that will go in smaller citys.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:24 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,827,348 times
To answer your original question, "where are regional malls being built?". Virtually nowhere. The model is on life-support, with the exception of "lifestyle malls", big sprawling outdoor malls where the stores are only connected by sidewalks, and most drive-up to parking outside the individual stores, as opposed to walking through an indoor corridor.

One of the largest, the northwestern Chicago suburbs:

Algonquin Commons

Costco's tend to be individual standing stores, but attract other businesses either nearby, or even in their own parking lots.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:55 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
To answer your original question, "where are regional malls being built?". Virtually nowhere. The model is on life-support, with the exception of "lifestyle malls", big sprawling outdoor malls where the stores are only connected by sidewalks, and most drive-up to parking outside the individual stores, as opposed to walking through an indoor corridor.
Agreed, thankfully the regional mall concept appears dead. Regional malls are too expensive to build in that it requires vast expensive chunks of land, as well as a few years of labor to build. There is also a reluctance of local municipalities to sign off for fear of traffic congestion, out of control peripheral growth and environmental issues.

The lifestyle center, or updated strip center has been the new model for a few years. Here are some more nice examples:

Shop the Gateway - Premier Shopping & Dining in Salt Lake City, Utah
Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley
Rookwood Commons
About.com: http://www.shopdolphinmall.com/

Old 12-03-2009, 10:03 AM

Well, here is a look at how many of each are in the USA:

http://www.icsc.org/srch/lib/2009_S-...TION_May09.pdf

Costco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

563 Costcos

763 Regional malls + 614 Super Regional Malls = 1377 malls

406 lifestyle centers

Malls have been around longer, so there are more of them than Costcos and lifestyle centers.

I am hoping my area can get a regional mall because we don't have one yet. We only have a 200,000 sq. ft. outlet center. We also have a 140,000 sq. ft. Costco. There a prime retail location for sale that was going to be where Lowe's and Target was going to be built, but now it's up for sale. I think Westfield, Macerich, Simpson, or GG Properties Mall Corporations could buy it and build a mall with JcPenney's and Dillards.

Lifestyle centers can't be built everywhere because by definition it's an upscale outdoor shopping center with high-end speciality stores. You need a lot of population or very high income in area to build them.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:27 AM

6,488 posts, read 16,150,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Not in DC Metro. Front Royal, for example, is not considered DC Metro. Yet....
No, but there are Sheetz locations in Woodbridge, Manassas Park, Chantilly, Leesburg, and Haymarket. Still kinda "far out" but they're encroaching.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM

Does anyone know of any malls planned or currently built?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.