U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:58 PM

20,849 posts, read 35,952,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
So would you say there is not 150,000 population within a 20 minute driving distance, but there is within a longer driving distance?
Concord is served by interstate 93 as well as interstate 89. I would say that the regional mall is accessible for at least 110,000 of the county residents at a travel time of 35 minutes or less. The county is large in terms of square miles, though.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 12-21-2009 at 09:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 09:56 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,892,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Concord is served by interstate 93 as well as interstate 89. I would say at that the regional mall is accessible for at least 110,000 of the county residents at a travel time of 35 minutes or less. The county is large in terms of square miles, though.
Thank you for bringing up this mall. It is a perfect example of how smaller populations with higher medium family income can get regional malls.

Still, I think my area will chose the the lifestyle center option because it's a new trend. I really hope for a mall, but I know it won't happen.

I don't like lifestyle centers because their format can differ so easily. Some are very upscale, some are very small, some have department stores, and others have so huge and just have high-end specialty stores.

There is no way to tell if the lifestyle center in my area will have a Dillards or Sears, or either at all. We only have JcPenney's next to Wal-Mart. People for years have been asking for a Macy's or Dillard's in the area, and with a medium family income of $60,000 and a nearby small city with $70,000 medium family income it's very possible. I wanted a mall because we would get a Dillard's wi th a Sears or a Macy's with a Sears, and a wide selection of stores and not just upscale stores. I also like the traditional food courts in malls versus the collection of fine dining restaurants in lifestyle centers.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:26 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,892,252 times
Going back to Costco, are their any other examples with Costcos being in the middle of no where and being in countys that do not have malls?

Old 12-29-2012, 11:05 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,003,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Agreed, thankfully the regional mall concept appears dead. Regional malls are too expensive to build in that it requires vast expensive chunks of land, as well as a few years of labor to build. There is also a reluctance of local municipalities to sign off for fear of traffic congestion, out of control peripheral growth and environmental issues.

The lifestyle center, or updated strip center has been the new model for a few years. Here are some more nice examples:

Shop the Gateway - Premier Shopping & Dining in Salt Lake City, Utah
Welcome to The Promenade Shops at Saucon Valley
Rookwood Commons
About.com: http://www.shopdolphinmall.com/
Randall Park Mall is a good example of what happens when a regional shopping mall is like, 90% of that suburb and has its own zip codes, and then fails. It should be in a textbook as an example for city planners to learn from.

Randall Park Mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look up the images on Google search. Your heart aches ...

https://www.google.com/search?q=rand...w=1480&bih=887

The good days, when the mall initially opened ...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-lFT3fLD3YZ...6c3b6b2c3d.jpg

In comparison this shot from the mall across the lot at one of the hotels in the area.

http://davidhansen.org/centennial/ra..._mall_2011.jpg

Only to end up as this

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3461/...3e43b9f748.jpg

Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,003,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
There's a big one under construction in New Jersey. It's called Xanadu Meadowlands. Xanadu Meadowlands

It will have a large retail component and a sports/entertainment component which includes North America's first indoor ski area and the Pepsi Globe, North America's largest ferris wheel. The building itself looks pretty ugly, IMO.
It has been renamed to American Dream Meadowlands. Shame, I liked Xanadu better. Apparently it will have a 26 screen movie theater, indoor park, etc.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:07 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,542,136 times
The last regional scale mall "built" here was the rebuild of the Town and Country Shopping Center in San Jose into Santana Row, which incorporates a lot of housing as well as upscale stores. I think it's been a couple of decades before that, I'm a little hazy on when Stoneridge Mall in Pleasanton was built.

Regional malls were generally located to have good freeway access. An ideal location is near where two major freeways intersect. The intersection of two freeways in a reasonably affluent area can be a major development node. In the Bay Area, you've got the 101/92 interchange in San Mateo and the 880/237 interchange in Milpitas. A different type is the urban mall, like San Francisco Centre (their spelling) in Downtown San Francisco, anchored by a Nordstrom. It was developed in the mid-1980's.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:33 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Does anyone know of any malls planned or currently built?
To answer an old question, yes. There is a Target being installed in downtown Portland right now. It's in an old defunct mall that went out of business a few years ago that formerly housed mostly local shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.