Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 07:54 PM

494 posts, read 1,609,601 times

Advertisements

Okay... so.. first off a little bit about myself. I'm a 25 and I currently work in the tech filed (gaming industry more specifically). So far, I've narrowed down the cities to Seattle-Bellvue, Salt Lake City, and Redwood City. I can apply for a job in both Redwood City,CA or SLC with the current company I'm with, Yet after doing a lot of research on Seattle lately, I've fallen in love with the city, and feel like it will have more upside then SLC or Redwood City as far as staying there long term. Also, I kinda really don't want to leave my current company cause I love it that much! What do you think?

What I want out of a city:
Diversity-Seattle and RC offer this, SLC not so much.
Entertainment-It's a wash for all three. I can stay pretty entertained in SLC as I'm an outdoorsy type anyway.
Acceptable cost of living/Long term- Right now I got SLC, Seattle, RC in that order for this catergory. I can see myself living long term in the first two, but not so much RC. SLC is kinda that question mark. If I decide to leave my current company, and I want to remain in the industry, I'll probably be looking at another move at some point if it comes to that.

So right, now, I'm kinda really conflicted between Seattle and SLC, with RC being my backup plan? Or should I think a lil deeper? Or maybe alternatives to what I want?

Also, I know there's been a flurry of, "tell me what I should do threads" lately, so I apologize!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 06:22 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I'm stumbling over your statement regarding diversity. What is your definition of diversity and where do you see Seattle's advantage over Salt Lake City?

Old 12-30-2012, 08:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have family that lived in SLC and while there are still a lot of Mormons, it has become far more diverse over the last decade or two. We have visited there several times and it's nice but not the west coast. Still, it's the one where you would live the most comfortably on the same salary. Unless they pay you more to work in Seattle or RC you will take a big hit with the higher cost of everything in Seattle, and RC would be a real sticker shock.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:12 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
I think it's important that you consider your working environment a little bit more. If one place (esp. between SLC and Seattle) seems more desirable then I would strongly consider taking the position in that community.

Redwood City COL would be really high but it might also be the best place to network since you are in the gaming industry.
At your age this is something you should also consider because you might find a better opportunity with another company or you could do a start up. Seattle would probably be better than SLC in that regard.

However, you picked three really nice places to land. Best of luck.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:21 PM

494 posts, read 1,609,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm stumbling over your statement regarding diversity. What is your definition of diversity and where do you see Seattle's advantage over Salt Lake City?
I kinda typed this up half-asleep, so apologize for the confusion! Purely a percentage thing, I favor the percentages more somewhat in Seattle. Maybe saying "Not so much" was too strong, but it is a diverse area as well like u said, and why I included it.

@Eddie
I think the COL issue is why I'm so hesitant about RC, but as u said, the networking opportunities are defiantly there. As I said though, the issue with seattle, is that if I go there, I'd have to leave my current company and that's where the conflict lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.