Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:08 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times

Advertisements

What are the determining factors to build a regional mall in a city? What type of cities do malls usually chose?

What about to build a Costco?

I noticed there is at least one Costco per county in Metropolitan Statistical Area.

I also noticed that there is always going to be more than one Costco in a Metropolitan Division that is apart of a big MSA.

Also, Micropolitan areas usually don't have Costcos.

Am I wrong about the Costco factor? Are there Costcos in as many micropolitan areas as MSAs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 11:58 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
What are the determining factors to build a regional mall in a city? What type of cities do malls usually chose?

I noticed there is at least one Costco per county in Metropolitan Statistical Area.

I also noticed that there is always going to be more than one Costco in a Metropolitan Division that is apart of a big MSA.

Am I wrong about the Costco factor? Are there Costcos in as many micropolitan areas as MSAs?
Driving from the northern outskirts of Seattle to the Bellingham on I-5, I think you run into 3-4 Costcos in between and not counting (metro) Seattle itself. There seems to be one in each county- and I'm talking about pretty rural "micropolitan" type areas such as Skagit County or Whatcom County.

When I lived in Southern CA, Costco is also very accessible- but not like in Western WA- I guess as Costco is headquartered there.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:42 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
I looked through some of Costcos locations in Washington. It seems one is even in a rural non-incorporated community. It appears Costco will be in micropolitan areas with at least 100,000 population just so they have a pressence.

I have another question now. Are malls ever built in rural non-incorporated communities? If Costcos can be built in rural communities, can malls also?

Old 11-30-2009, 05:16 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,332 times
Search from Detroit
Detroit search Costco warehouse

Old 11-30-2009, 06:10 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
I hope this discussion is not limited to CostCo. I wonder about the super/expanded gas station businesses that are not found in high density/high population areas, but are located in much smaller populated areas. An example would be [URL="http://www.sheetz.com/main/locations/search_popup.cfm?searchID=state"]Sheetz[/URL]. They are not in DC Metro, Philly, etc. They skirt the bigger cities/areas. Even tho' Sheetz does has some sort of wholesale buying/exchange because in Fairfax City (part of Northern VA-DC Metro), there are lots of tankers with the Sheetz logo on them driving about..

Old 11-30-2009, 06:16 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
Looks like the three primary metro counties, Oakland, Macomb, and Wayne, each have a Costco.

If we are looking for a metro that does not meet the OP's criteria, how about Indianapolis. The only two Costco's are in Marion County; none in the suburban counties. Add to that the fact that both Costcos are in northern Marion County; the southern reaches of Indy-metro have a 45 minute drive to their nearest Costco.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:41 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
I hope this discussion is not limited to CostCo. I wonder about the super/expanded gas station businesses that are not found in high density/high population areas, but are located in much smaller populated areas. An example would be Sheetz. They are not in DC Metro, Philly, etc. They skirt the bigger cities/areas. Even tho' Sheetz does has some sort of wholesale buying/exchange because in Fairfax City (part of Northern VA-DC Metro), there are lots of tankers with the Sheetz logo on them driving about..
There are many sheetz in the DC area, but further out

Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
I have only seen one Costco in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex!

Old 11-30-2009, 07:26 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Default Where are regional malls built?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post

Nassau County in New York did a very smart think years ago. The key in this case is to remember that the county collects a sales tax on some items.

They put a major mall (Green Acres) right next to the western border with Queens. All the way east on the other side of the county, is another major mall (Sunrise Mall) on the border of Suffolk. There are a couple of smaller shopping areas along the borders also.

Thus, Nassau County collects sales taxes from Queens and Suffolk residents crossing the border to shop.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:42 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Nassau County in New York did a very smart think years ago. The key in this case is to remember that the county collects a sales tax on some items.

They put a major mall (Green Acres) right next to the western border with Queens. All the way east on the other side of the county, is another major mall (Sunrise Mall) on the border of Suffolk. There are a couple of smaller shopping areas along the borders also.

Thus, Nassau County collects sales taxes from Queens and Suffolk residents crossing the border to shop.
I saw that when I was in New York. I though that was Smart on the Queens side of Nassau County to put a Mall and Walmart that close to NYC City limits
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.