Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:42 PM

101 posts, read 763,552 times

Advertisements

so from what seems to be the general consensus, I gather Chicago/LA/SF/DC and NYC (as long as I can deal with the gangstas) top the list?

I do know that DC, MD, and Northern VA are quite open to these relationships, but I'm not so sure if I want to pursue my residency there...just because I've lived there long enough to get bored.

Well thanks a lot guys. At least now I know the cities to consider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 08:41 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I think pretty much any big city would be fine. Minneapolis, for example, doesn't have a huge Indian community (although certainly present, and I know several interracial Indian/American couples), but it's certainly open to interracial relationships. I think you're unnecessarily minimizing your options by only concentrating on the cities listed above. I'm having a hard time thinking of any city where it would be an issue, actually. Some places will have more than others, of course, due in large part to sheer demographics, but I don't think Indian/American couples are all that unusual.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:07 AM

517 posts, read 1,318,883 times
Fremont,Ca (The Bay Area). Very Large concentrations of Indians.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:30 AM

152 posts, read 221,504 times
NYC , Portland , Phoenix AZ

Old 11-30-2009, 11:06 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,163,011 times
Socio-economically driven

Have many colleagues who are Indian-Americans in their 20s-30s who are Harvard/Stanford alums and whose fathers came to US in '60s-'70s for engineering grad school at Stanford or Berkeley or MIT (and many of these early immigrants married non-Indians way back then).....a culturally, socio-economically very different crowd than less well-educated, often more recent, more "ethnic" Indian immigrants (and their kids) in places like Fremont or Edison or LI or OakBrook or Houston

Old 12-01-2009, 04:56 AM

Actually hsw, those are the sorts of places that I'm looking for. I want to choose a place where there is a quite an Indian population but areas like Fremont just don't cut it for me. New Jersey is another one...these areas either have way too many less well-educated Indians (usually having small businesses here and there) or have too many engineers...which really can get frustrating after living in that area for some time.

I think that's the main reason why California (especially around the Bay-area, Sunnyvale, Fremont) and New Jersey are pretty much out of my list. I am definitely considering the following areas:

1)Boston, MA (because they have a quite a few Indians and more importantly this city has tons of hospitals and medical universities - considering I'll be done with my med school in a short time).

2) Columbus, Georgia - great medical facilities and seems to be the city for physicians...although I'm not too sure about the Indian population here (I think it's almost non-existent)

3) Michigan...not sure which city

4) Potomac, MD - this is where I grew up...but I do want a change, so this is my last choice.

5) Lincoln, Nebraska - seems to be great (this is where my uncle ended up marrying one of the locals and he always tells me how nice the people are)....but it just sounds like the middle of nowhere...so I have to do a little more research on this city.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:17 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Actually Im going to go out on a limb here but I think a city with not that many Indians is better. In my experience having lived in India(Bangalore) for a while, Indians(like many other cultures btw) tend to frown upon marrying outside their culture.

An Indian that marries out will probably get strange stares and raised brows by people of their ethnic group.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:45 PM

LOL you couldn't be more correct!

But there have been about a dozen interracial relationships/marriage within my family (including extended family), I don't think it matters to me as much. My maternal great grandmother herself is English and married an Indian man during the colonization era. And it's something that has passed down the family (my mom marrying an Indian man) and likely will.

But can I ask you a question? Do you think societies with a not a lot of Indians is actually ideal to go looking for interracial relationships? I mean I do have an uncle who married a white lady in Nebraska of all places...which doesn't strike me as being overtly tolerant (but I've learnt that I'm quite wrong). I have one other uncle, married to a Swede who grew up in Wisconsin all her life and my aunt (from the paternal side) is engaged to a guy of Latin American origin (Chile) but is from Michigan. All these areas (except for Michigan) seem to have low Indian populations.

I wonder what it could be? The phD degrees? or the fact that most of them are either doctors or lawyers or engineers?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:20 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Shreypete, just go live your life.

You yourself have proven that Indians can marry outside their ethnic group in a plethora of different places within the US (Nebraska says it all, and only validates my stance).

Find somewhere you like, and just go.

In my experience, being in area where there is more of "my ethnic group" has proven to be more of a hindrance as opposed to being a benefit. Being around one's own group only breeds conformity and an unwillingness to break out of shells and over barriers.

You are human, and IMO are free to live wherever you please within these United States.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Actually Metro Detroit & Ann Arbor have a pretty large Indian population. Maybe not as big as Chicago/NYC/SF, but still, pretty significant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreypete View Post
LOL you couldn't be more correct!

But there have been about a dozen interracial relationships/marriage within my family (including extended family), I don't think it matters to me as much. My maternal great grandmother herself is English and married an Indian man during the colonization era. And it's something that has passed down the family (my mom marrying an Indian man) and likely will.

But can I ask you a question? Do you think societies with a not a lot of Indians is actually ideal to go looking for interracial relationships? I mean I do have an uncle who married a white lady in Nebraska of all places...which doesn't strike me as being overtly tolerant (but I've learnt that I'm quite wrong). I have one other uncle, married to a Swede who grew up in Wisconsin all her life and my aunt (from the paternal side) is engaged to a guy of Latin American origin (Chile) but is from Michigan. All these areas (except for Michigan) seem to have low Indian populations.

I wonder what it could be? The phD degrees? or the fact that most of them are either doctors or lawyers or engineers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.