U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:34 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,603,698 times

Advertisements

Houston: Best city for health care professionals. Large Indian population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,535,491 times
I'm Indian myself, and I would say the best cities for what you are looking for are New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Houston in that order. There are lots of Indian communities in those cities. Indians are very visible in every big city here, and there are plenty of interracial Indian couples everywhere as it is becoming more and more common. Although NY, Chicago, SF, LA, and Houston have the most, you would find what you are looking for in places like Philadelphia, DC, Boston, Dallas, Charlotte, Atlanta, Seattle, San Diego, Austin, Tampa, etc. The Indian community is growing fast in every major city in America, and as that happens, there are more and more interracial couples and people who are open to that.

However, I will say this. The Indian community here can sometimes be very deeply rooted like many other ethnic communities in America. I find that communities that have a very high concentration of Indians such as Edison, NJ and Schaumburg, IL have Indians that are less open to the idea of interracial dating as they grew up with lots of other Indians, causing many, not all, of those families to stick to more traditional roots. You'll see more interracial dating with Indian Americans in city and suburban neighborhoods where the Indian Americans are more spread out, but still a very visible minority. Good luck, and feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Old 12-01-2009, 10:31 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,421,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreypete View Post
LOL you couldn't be more correct!

But there have been about a dozen interracial relationships/marriage within my family (including extended family), I don't think it matters to me as much. My maternal great grandmother herself is English and married an Indian man during the colonization era. And it's something that has passed down the family (my mom marrying an Indian man) and likely will.

But can I ask you a question? Do you think societies with a not a lot of Indians is actually ideal to go looking for interracial relationships? I mean I do have an uncle who married a white lady in Nebraska of all places...which doesn't strike me as being overtly tolerant (but I've learnt that I'm quite wrong). I have one other uncle, married to a Swede who grew up in Wisconsin all her life and my aunt (from the paternal side) is engaged to a guy of Latin American origin (Chile) but is from Michigan. All these areas (except for Michigan) seem to have low Indian populations.

I wonder what it could be? The phD degrees? or the fact that most of them are either doctors or lawyers or engineers?
Sure. Why not? I have Indian friends in Minneapolis, but there's not a huge Indian population. Most of my friends have dated people of different races or ethnicities, and many of them have married someone of a different ethnic background. I'm not Indian and I don't know about the Indian community itself (the biggest issue my friends seem to have faced is the pressure to have traditional Indian weddings), but from the point of view of non-Indians I don't think most people would blink an eye. I wouldn't let fear of a limited dating pool limit your choice of city.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:17 AM

13,403 posts, read 21,205,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
I'm Indian myself, and I would say the best cities for what you are looking for are New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Houston in that order. There are lots of Indian communities in those cities. Indians are very visible in every big city here, and there are plenty of interracial Indian couples everywhere as it is becoming more and more common. Although NY, Chicago, SF, LA, and Houston have the most
!
As of 2007, these are the largest Indian Communities in the US:

Born in India, 2007
New York 289,980
San Francisco 134,995
Chicago 108,911
Los Angeles 85,577
Washington DC 78,445
Philadelphia 50,583
Dallas 49,669
Boston 45,688
Detroit 41,884
Atlanta 41,081
Houston 40,862
Miami 13,032

Dallas' Indian community went up almost 10,000 between 2005 and 2007. Right now DFW has the fastest growing Inidan community in the US.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:56 AM

658 posts, read 1,622,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Actually Im going to go out on a limb here but I think a city with not that many Indians is better. In my experience having lived in India(Bangalore) for a while, Indians(like many other cultures btw) tend to frown upon marrying outside their culture.

An Indian that marries out will probably get strange stares and raised brows by people of their ethnic group.
That may have been the case 10 years ago, but now it hardly raises any eyebrows these days. Out of all the family friends, about a half of the children have married non-Indians. Most Indian families in the US who have assimilated here don't really have much objections, which is much different from people living in India.

To the OP, you should be fine residing is just about any major city in the US, although I would say you might find more Indian/American couples in cities with higher concentrations of Indians.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:20 PM

56,660 posts, read 80,952,685 times
I know in my area, you will see many Indians near the Syracuse University area and adjacent neighborhoods especially the Outer Comstock neighborhood. You will see quite a few interracial couples in those neighborhoods as well and the Upstate Medical Center in close by in the University Hill part of the city. You will find quite a few in other NY cities like Ithaca and Corning due to Ithaca having Ivy League Cornell University and Corning being where Corning Incorporated is located, which has a strong engineering presence in that area.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:38 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,687,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
As of 2007, these are the largest Indian Communities in the US:

Born in India, 2007
New York 289,980
San Francisco 134,995
Chicago 108,911
Los Angeles 85,577
Washington DC 78,445
Philadelphia 50,583
Dallas 49,669
Boston 45,688
Detroit 41,884
Atlanta 41,081
Houston 40,862
Miami 13,032

Dallas' Indian community went up almost 10,000 between 2005 and 2007. Right now DFW has the fastest growing Inidan community in the US.
I'm assuming these are just city populations because I know for a fact Houston area has a bigger Indian population than that.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:46 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,205,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'm assuming these are just city populations because I know for a fact Houston area has a bigger Indian population than that.
No these are CSA area populations. These are foregin born Indians only. These numbers do not include Indians born in the US.

I know you know Dallas well enough to know that theres not near that number in Dallas proper. The Indians here are all in the Northern Suburbs.

DFW does have the fastest growing Indian community (for now). Thats always subject to change.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,789,199 times
In California most people I know view Indians as white. Maybe even whiter than white.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:00 PM

225 posts, read 263,374 times
NYC and northern NJ by far have the largest representation of Indians and other South Asians in the U.S. The NYC metro area has over 620,000 South Asians, mostly in Queens, Hudson, and Middlesex counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.