U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:05 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,389,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Americans sometimes get defensive on the race issue. In the US there's some tendency, particularly among liberals, to treat Europe as ideal on about everything. So people act like Europe's imperialist exploitation of Africa is much more distant in history, or something, than Jim Crow. Then when a younger person realizes the reality that say the French, for example, were brutal to some of their African subjects until the 1950s we feel a bit deceived. I mean I knew that intellectually, but it didn't really "hit me" until I started reading things by people who lived under French rule and are still alive. Then it really dawns on you that for some of these people it's just as "present" as Jim Crow is for some African Americans. And so that can lead to an overreaction. Europeans aren't as racially good as claimed so they must really be horrid. It seems like there's a tendency to either idealize or demonize things we're unfamiliar with rather than seek some kind of middle-position.
Thomas, you speak words of wisdom, as per usual. Like you say, liberal attitudes towards Europe tend to oscilate from idealization as a liberal paradise on earth to horror towards percieved political incorrectness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 10:07 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,352,716 times
Agree, EU is hardly a socio-economic monolith, much like US is incredibly heterogenous, even within same urban region

Europe is economically and intellectually dominated by London/Frankfurt/Munich/Geneva/Zurich...sort of like US is dominated by Manhattan/SiliconValley/Dallas/Houston/BevHills/Chicago

But even in SV or NYC regions, it's a very different socio-economic world on SF Peninsula vs EastBay suburbs...or Manhattan/Greenwich vs LI/NJ suburbs

Would consider Woodside CA or Greenwich CT as arguably world's smartest, most economically powerful suburbs of global epicenters....much of culture of world's leading suburbs is defined by where titans of world's most lucrative, IQ-intensive industries choose to call "home"

Old 12-01-2009, 10:53 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,507,917 times
In my opinion, some of the nicest places to live outside of a central city are:

Brookline, MA

Cambridge, MA

Greenwich, CT

A few different towns in Westchester County, NY:
-Rye
-Larchmont
-Bronxville
-Scarsdale

Several towns in northern NJ:
-Westfield
-Scotch Plains
-Chatham
-Madison
-Millburn/Short Hills

A few towns on Long Island:
-Roslyn
-Great Neck
-Garden City
-Manhasset

Chevy Chase, MD

Parts of Arlington and Alexandria, VA

Palm Beach, FL

Coral Gables, FL

Miami Beach, FL

Beverly Hills, CA

Santa Monica, CA

Laguna Beach, CA

Pasadena, CA

Since I have lived in Brookline, MA I will post some pictures.. let me know what you think! I used to live in Europe (Spain) and find Brookline/Boston/Cambridge to be one of the most European areas of this country. When I lived in Brookline I had plenty of American neighbors as well as Spanish, French, Italian, Swedish, Turkish, South American, and Asian ones. It's a very culturally diverse place and has good public transit (by way of streetcar and bus) and good public and private schools. Many professors, doctors, and lawyers make the area their home, so your sister and her family might really like it.

...And a few pictures from Boston, which borders Brookline:

Old 12-04-2009, 05:59 PM

56,674 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreypete View Post
Just wanna see your opinions

Also which cities/states do you think are best in terms of quality education, really good private schools, least racist, multicultural and "posh" (rich neighborhoods) at the same time? My sister wants to move from Switzerland to the US for a few years and she wants to pick a place where her kids can continue studying a lot of languages (they already speak Spanish, Italian, French, Swiss german and are currently learning high German and Dutch). She doesn't really mind living in a rich area as both her and my brother in law are surgeons.

Thank you
Here some neighborhoods in my area:
Strathmore (Syracuse City neighborhood)

Strathmore

Berkeley Park(on East Side of Syracuse near syracuse University)
Berkeley Park Properties 1

Sedgwick, a neighborhood on Syracuse's North Side
SEDGWICK FARM NEIGHBORHOOD ASSOCIATION

Other places would be Fayetteville, Manlius, DeWitt's Orvilton neighborhood, Onondaga Hill, Skaneateles and Cazenovia.

Here are some good private schools in the area:
Manlius Pebble Hill School
Christian Brothers Academy -- Syracuse, NY

There are some very good school districts like Fayetteville-Manlius, Jamesville-DeWitt, Skaneateles and Cazenovia.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:02 AM

101 posts, read 702,884 times
wow crisp444, those are awesome pics. I think my sister will love them. Some of the pics (#2nd, 3rd, 11th and 16th) remind me of Switzerland..I think my sister is looking for neighborhoods and houses just like this (with a more European architecture.) Thanks for posting up those pics.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,678 times
Default Boston vs. NYC for doctors

This is an interesting question and is fun to think about.

I have to agree with crisp444 that the best combination of what your sister and her family are looking for can be found in the Boston suburbs (Brookline, Cambridge, Wellesley). I am a surgeon and I trained in Boston while living in Brookline. For various reasons, I now live and work on the UES of Manhattan. While the UES also offers all of the criteria you laid forth (and it is safe), Boston just offers more options for doctors, especially those coming from abroad. Boston is one of the medical meccas in the US. There are several large, academic hospitals around the Boston area, as well as smaller private ones, and your sister and her husband would have no problem finding a job with a great working environment. Boston also has a thriving intellectual culture that is supported by the many local universities. Getting your children in great schools and after school activities (such as language tutoring, etc) is still somewhat expensive, it is certainly doable. Also, if they are used to living in Switzerland and are into skiing, then Boston is relatively close to the ski resorts in Vermont and NH. which make it perfect for weekend getaways. Of course, in the summer you have the beaches on the cape and the islands.

Since this board is not afraid of offering blanket generalizations, then I'll add that doctors are generally more respected in Boston than in NYC and its surroundings (Greenwich included). While there is a lot of wealth in Boston, I really feel your perceived value to society is based on your intelligence and how you use it to improve the lives of those in your community. In NYC, it is much more about the money, ie, how much you got. In fact, working as a doctor on the UES can sometimes make you feel like you work in the service industry for the financial folks. I would imagine the same holds true for Greenwich. This may be something to keep in mind since you were curious to know what the best cities for doctors are.

Along those lines, I would not assume that money would be no problem in NYC for two surgeons who want to live on Park Ave, 5th Ave, or Perry St, send their kids to private schools, participate in high end after school/weekend activities, and have nannies to help with the kids since two parents are going to working as you posted earlier in this thread. Unless they have family money, or a significant nest egg that they are willing to spend during their time here, i think they'll find that living in NYC on two surgeons' salaries will still be great, but that you might have to make some financial sacrifices in order to offer your kids the type of education and lifestyle I'm sensing is important to your sister and her family.

Hope that helps. I should put in a disclaimer that my comments may have been influenced by the great pictures crisp444 posted of my former neighborhood, and the nostalgia they provoked.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,507,917 times
Great post, lvg88! I live in Brooklyn Heights now but absolutely adored Brookline/Boston and would consider moving back if a good opportunity to do so were to present itself. I must add that if the OP does choose to move to the NYC area yet wants to be outside of Manhattan/brownstone Brooklyn, the best town for her sister and family would probably be Larchmont, NY. It is an affluent little town right on Long Island sound (in Westchester County) with a Metro North line that goes to Grand Central Station in about 35 minutes. The architecture consists mainly of 70-100 year old tudors and colonials on tree-lined streets. There are a few pedestrian-friendly shopping streets and some tudor-style apartment buildings near the train station. There are a lot of French nationals living in Larchmont due to the French-American School there. Out of the suburban towns near here, that is probably the one that reminds me the most of Brookline.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:41 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,513,072 times
If your sister's family is looking for a upscale suburban town outside of Boston, they may want to look at Hingham or Cohasset. They're two beautiful towns on the South Shore. Both have Commuter Rail connections straight into the city, and Hingham offers both highway access and a Commuter Boat to the city. They've both got great schools, and nice beaches. They're both extremely safe in terms of crime. If these are too expensive, they may want to look at Norwell or Scituate (my town). They're right next to Cohasset/Hingham and share many similarities but also offer lower-cost options.

Hingham

Thanks

Close to Boston...

Cohasset Village

Cohasset Harbor

Thanks

Beautiful homes...

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

Beautiful rocky coast

Old 01-25-2010, 12:03 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,691,036 times
Charlottesville, Virginia

Jefferson, Texas

Old 02-01-2010, 01:06 AM

101 posts, read 702,884 times
Hey there Ivg88, thanks a million for the advice. You're quite right about Boston being the mecca for physicians of all sorts. My sister and her family have ultimately moved to Boston. They didn't find NYC much to their liking as it wasn't what they wanted for the kids. They were looking for a less crowded place, which was on par with NYC in terms of the facilities available (not just for kids but for them too).

So, they're currently living in Weston, which is such a beautiful town. I really love that place although I'm back in Europe now so it sucks. And the kids are going to The Cambridge School of Weston. Do you happen to know any better primary schools (for kids) in the area? We just came across two really good ones (one that I've already mentioned and the other - The Meadowbrook School)

If there's a better school, I would like to know 'cause I'm sure the kids can still transfer while it's early. The tuition fee doesn't really matter as long as they have a solid yet creative program for little kids (preferably offering language courses). We were thinking of hiring a private tutor for French and one for German/Dutch.

Thanks a lot again. I really appreciate everyone's posts here. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or