U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 01:58 AM

101 posts, read 703,061 times

Advertisements

Just wanna see your opinions

Also which cities/states do you think are best in terms of quality education, really good private schools, least racist, multicultural and "posh" (rich neighborhoods) at the same time? My sister wants to move from Switzerland to the US for a few years and she wants to pick a place where her kids can continue studying a lot of languages (they already speak Spanish, Italian, French, Swiss german and are currently learning high German and Dutch). She doesn't really mind living in a rich area as both her and my brother in law are surgeons.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 02:08 AM

32,388 posts, read 55,214,514 times
least racist?

Well if they are coming from Europe, they'll probably find that overall America is less racist than Europe is. Europeans are far more outspoken about their dislike of people of color. Americans have been trained to be more accepting and tolerant because the US has had civil rights movement. Europe hasnt yet had such a movement.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:10 AM

That's not true. It might be true that there are some racist cities, but in general Europe is much less racist....cities like Amsterdam, Prague, Paris, Budapest, Bucharest etc....it's a different thing that most of Europe is homogenous (in terms of race) but a majority aren't racist...at least not towards particular races - mainly asians (including indians/pakistanis)

Old 11-30-2009, 05:31 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,985,014 times
Connecticut, Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, and Virginia have the highest percentage of millionaires. I think all of those states are fairly diverse or have diverse areas.

Alexandria, Virginia - Affluent DC suburb, looks fairly diverse.

Ellicot City, Maryland - Affluent Maryland town with some well-regarded private school. Looks to be a suburb of Baltimore. It's about 12% Asian by the looks of it and African-American journalist Suzanne Malvaux went to school there.

Greenwich, Connecticut - Highly affluent, maybe whiter than you want.

Honolulu, Hawaii - Has the Punahou school that many politicians, including Obama, attended.

Montclair, New Jersey - Looks pretty diverse and has some respected private school. Possibly poorer than you want.

America's Best High Schools: Hawaii - BusinessWeek

Old 11-30-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreypete View Post
That's not true. It might be true that there are some racist cities, but in general Europe is much less racist....cities like Amsterdam, Prague, Paris, Budapest, Bucharest etc....it's a different thing that most of Europe is homogenous (in terms of race) but a majority aren't racist...at least not towards particular races - mainly asians (including indians/pakistanis)
I think Europe varies like anything. Nations like Luxembourg, Sweden, and oddly enough Poland came out fairly high in "level of comfort with a neighbor of a different ethnicity" going by the Eurobarometer. Italy, Austria, and the Czech Republic came out low. The Czechs also came out comparatively low on being okay with an ethnic minority in charge. Although I grant this is just one study generally Scandinavians tend to come out high in studies on acceptance of ethnic or racial minorities. Meanwhile Italians and Austrians tend to come out low in other things I'd read. Czechs may come out low as well, but I'm not sure if this is a general thing or just due to many of them having negative views of Roma/Gypsies.

http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/a...ebs_296_en.pdf

Old 11-30-2009, 05:54 AM

8 posts, read 31,435 times
I've lived in Northern Va for years and here are my thoughts:

Vienna, Virginia - has all those things.
Chevy Chase Maryland - it's more busy city but may be one to look at as well

Also agree with the first poster about Alexandria, Va. but if I was to pick, it'd be the Vienna area

Good luck!

Old 11-30-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gankaku View Post
I've lived in Northern Va for years and here are my thoughts:

Vienna, Virginia - has all those things.
Chevy Chase Maryland - it's more busy city but may be one to look at as well

Also agree with the first poster about Alexandria, Va. but if I was to pick, it'd be the Vienna area

Good luck!
I'm the total homebody who just goes by statistics and things I read. So yeah, you probably know better picks in Northern Virginia. Plus I like the sound of "Vienna, Virginia" even if it's for a Swiss immigrant rather than an Austrian one.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:26 AM

5,656 posts, read 7,458,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
least racist?

Well if they are coming from Europe, they'll probably find that overall America is less racist than Europe is. Europeans are far more outspoken about their dislike of people of color. Americans have been trained to be more accepting and tolerant because the US has had civil rights movement. Europe hasnt yet had such a movement.
I tend to agree with you...when it comes to people of color, the Russians are some of the worst.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:18 PM

Thanks a lot guys. My sister and I were discussing this afternoon and they (my sister and her husband) have 3 places in mind: Massachusetts (although I'm not sure where exactly) because they have 3 of the best elite prep schools in the country (Roxbury, Philips and something else...I can't remember), Potomac, MD (coz this is where we lived and grew up as kids) or New York (in the Park Avenue/5th street/Perry street/Madison avenue area....which seems a bit too expensive, busy...and I'm not sure so sure about New York's crime rates).

I guess all these places have one or the other elite prep schools with facilities to get advanced language courses. But I shall look into Vienna, VA and see if it meets the requirements. As one of the posters above mentioned, Hawaii does sound like a great option, but it's too far a place to send the kids for schooling.

Regarding racism in Europe...well I've lived in UK, Switzerland, Germany and Netherlands for short periods of time (around 5-6 months..with the exception of UK, where I lived for around 3 years) and am currently staying in the Czech Republic, and I think the most "racist" places were a few of the cities in Germany and Netherlands (Maastricht etc). The Swiss are reserved...not racist per se. And they always seem to welcome rich people. The Dutch are quite reserved too...and very direct to the point; but not racist). The Germans (from the major cities) are quite professional ("reserved" again) but friendly too and I haven't met any racists as such. And currently, in Prague, the people seem quite friendly and helpful. And I've had similar experiences in the 8 other European countries I visited (Poland, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, Belgium, Greece, and Hungary). May be these guys are racist deep inside but they did a good job not showing it out? lol...I wouldn't know.

Thank you guys....do let me know if you have any other great areas which can meet the following criteria:
1) Quality education (preferably a top-notch prep school of some sort)
2) Safe and relatively expensive neighborhood
3) Low crime rate
4) Best place for surgeons/doctors (I guess this is a dumb question...but if you guys do have an idea, please do share)
5) Least racist (I guess I've gathered now that most major cities are fine when it comes to this aspect)
6) All civic amenities

thank you really appreciate it.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:58 PM

Americans sometimes get defensive on the race issue. In the US there's some tendency, particularly among liberals, to treat Europe as ideal on about everything. So people act like Europe's imperialist exploitation of Africa is much more distant in history, or something, than Jim Crow. Then when a younger person realizes the reality that say the French, for example, were brutal to some of their African subjects until the 1950s we feel a bit deceived. I mean I knew that intellectually, but it didn't really "hit me" until I started reading things by people who lived under French rule and are still alive. Then it really dawns on you that for some of these people it's just as "present" as Jim Crow is for some African Americans. And so that can lead to an overreaction. Europeans aren't as racially good as claimed so they must really be horrid. It seems like there's a tendency to either idealize or demonize things we're unfamiliar with rather than seek some kind of middle-position.

Curiously I don't think this is so much about what Europeans themselves say. Europeans themselves fairly often write about colonialism or ethnic issues or whatever. I even read several "soul searching" things on Obama's election and how Europeans treat children of African immigrants. Persepolis was a French movie that involved some criticism of European reactions to her as a, highly secular granted, Iranian woman. I think this is more internal to us and our issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or