Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 04:44 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,721,598 times

Advertisements

I am curious to see the general opinion of how the four primary desert states (Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah) compare and contrast to each other. In addition, let us know what your initial impressions were in regards to how you initally perceived each particular state before and after you visited or lived in them.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 02:22 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,796,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I am curious to see the general opinion of how the four primary desert states (Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah) compare and contrast to each other. In addition, let us know what your initial impressions were in regards to how you initally perceived each particular state before and after you visited or lived in them.

Thank you!!
I love rural Nevada. US-95 is a beautiful drive. I have yet to visit Utah, but am looking forward to it someday. Haven't seen much of Arizona off the freeways, mostly just greater Phoenix. New Mexico is pretty though.

I see Arizona as being the most typically "American" of the four in its vibe, if that makes sense. New Mexico has the distinct Native American, Spanish, and Mexican flavors. Utah is heavily Mormon. Nevada, outside of Las Vegas... What do you think of that is iconically American in Nevada outside of LV?

When I think of the U.S. I think of its various regions, including the Desert Southwest. Then I think of the stereotypical desert scenes with saguaro cacti and the Grand Canyon, and those are both in Arizona. I also think conservative and suburban. I know it's stereotyping, but that seemed to be the truth when I've visited. It's like taking Anytown, USA and plopping it down in a pretty desert backdrop.

The Desert Southwest is beautiful, whether you're in NV, AZ, or NM, and probably UT too. That's my perception.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:19 AM

26,909 posts, read 43,427,444 times
Arizona: Some pretty areas, largely seen as a spillover from overcrowded SoCal, country clubs/resorts, lots of retirees, large expanses of suburbia. My experience was similar to my preconceived notion.

Nevada: Outside of Las Vegas and Reno seen as desolate/mostly uninhabitable, very arid. Pretty much holds true. Las Vegas does seem less glitzy/tacky than imagined overall. Reno/Lake Tahoe area is beautiful!

Utah: Unquestionably the highest inconsistency between reality and perception of the four states in my opinion. Salt Lake City has become pretty sophisticated, has quite a bit to offer and is in a stunning setting with the mountain backdrops. There aren't Mormons standing on street corners trying to convert you and one doesn't have to order alcoholic beverages in a brown bag through a window. Southern Utah is wonderful, especially the Zion National Park/Bryce Canyon area. Springdale and Moab are nice resort/vacation towns that are unexpectedly sophisticated and fun to hang out in.

New Mexico: Overall my second favorite after Utah. I had imagined much desert/white sand which does hold true for the most part. It would have been my favorite of the four states had Albuquerque not been so disappointing. I liked the old section but the rest of the city seemed very one-dimensional and just blah. Santa Fe is nice but very expensive and a bit elitist. Taos is more down to earth and has a bit more of laidback vibe, plus nowhere near as expensive. The Navajo reservation is not to be missed.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:45 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,721,598 times
Thank you backdrifter and kyle19125 for the beautiful responses. So in fairness, I think I will scribble down some of my initial impressions as well...

Arizona: I always pictured it as a Florida in the desert, if that makes sense. I pictured resorts/spa's, and a significant Native American influence. In addtion, Phoenix always is the first thing to come to mind followed by the Grand Canyon when I think of Arizona. I really like Phoenix, not so much the endless sprawl of the city, but for its ammenities.

Nevada: I guess maybe the complete opposite of Utah with somewhat simular scenery.

Utah: I always pictured Utah to have a midwestern type of vibe in the desert. I love the Great Salt Lake and have always thought the people to be friendly.

New Mexico: I always pictured vast deserts. Indeed, the unique culture of New Mexico is quite interesting.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:18 AM

171 posts, read 324,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Arizona: Some pretty areas, largely seen as a spillover from overcrowded SoCal, country clubs/resorts, lots of retirees, large expanses of suburbia. My experience was similar to my preconceived notion.

Nevada: Outside of Las Vegas and Reno seen as desolate/mostly uninhabitable, very arid. Pretty much holds true. Las Vegas does seem less glitzy/tacky than imagined overall. Reno/Lake Tahoe area is beautiful!

Utah: Unquestionably the highest inconsistency between reality and perception of the four states in my opinion. Salt Lake City has become pretty sophisticated, has quite a bit to offer and is in a stunning setting with the mountain backdrops. There aren't Mormons standing on street corners trying to convert you and one doesn't have to order alcoholic beverages in a brown bag through a window. Southern Utah is wonderful, especially the Zion National Park/Bryce Canyon area. Springdale and Moab are nice resort/vacation towns that are unexpectedly sophisticated and fun to hang out in.

New Mexico: Overall my second favorite after Utah. I had imagined much desert/white sand which does hold true for the most part. It would have been my favorite of the four states had Albuquerque not been so disappointing. I liked the old section but the rest of the city seemed very one-dimensional and just blah. Santa Fe is nice but very expensive and a bit elitist. Taos is more down to earth and has a bit more of laidback vibe, plus nowhere near as expensive. The Navajo reservation is not to be missed.
Don't know where you visited in Phoenix except perhaps Sun City.

If Vegas is less tacky than imagined, then Phoenix is less of a retirement haven than imagined. Phoenix is one of the youngest cities (average age) in the US. It's full of a lot more younger people than retirees. Also, Phoenix may seem like it's vast suburbia; however, it's actual urban area footprint is much more dense than most other cities in the US.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:37 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,987,001 times
Arizona- I see AZ as a kinda like a FL in the desert also, retirees,palm trees,resorts,spas and a booming population and a sprawling one. I also think of cactus and red rock cliffs and it is pretty much the way I thought it was going to be when I visited.

Utah, dont know too much , I have only been to Moab, I dont really like Moab, Im sure SLC is nice though but I picture a big mormon cult type community but I know its not really like that, at least Im pretty sure.

Nevada, Ive only been to Vegas, its a typical sprawling desert city with a famous street that attracts tourists from all over, its unique in that way, the rest of NV I picture to be so remote that nothing survives out in the middle of nowhere and very few people per sq mile.

New Mexico, of course has the Spanish,Indian,Mexican,and Anglo culture mix, all four areas of the state are different, from forests,plains,deserts and red rock cliffs. I see NM as the lone child in the US, kind of forgotten, kinda like the Mississippi of the West. Rough poor state that people seem to look over for its neighbors.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:31 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,552,008 times
After moving to Arizona 5 years ago and traveling alot around this part of the country, I have learned that the desert is not the desert is not the desert.

Arizona's desert has much suguaro and organpipe cactus. The northern part of the state, while still considered desert, is higher in elevation, has high mountains, cooler in temperature and much more green in many areas.

Nevada is sparse open desert and NOTHING and lifeless for miles and miles. Not much cactus compared to AZ.

Utah is more rocky and 'red'. Pretty mountains in northern utah.

New Mexico is very similar to Colorado--plains in the east and mountains in the west, and desert in the south.

All these states are very different from each other. As I said....the desert is not the desert is not the desert.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:07 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,626,980 times
Nevada would have to be my least favorite. I'd like to see Las Vegas and possibly Reno at least once, but beyond those areas, Nevada just strikes me as an unattractive wasteland with scenery that is undoubtably inferior to that of the other states. Nevada has no Grand Canyon, no Zion or Bryce, no Carlsbad. Not just my least favorite desert state, but in my bottom five states overall.

Utah - Probably a bit more bland than the other two, but I'd love to see all their stunning national parks and Salt Lake City seems interesting.

New Mexico and Arizona are both very interesting states; I plan to visit sometime next year. I would probably slightly prefer Arizona, but that perception can change once I have the opportunity to experience both.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:14 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,552,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Nevada would have to be my least favorite. I'd like to see Las Vegas and possibly Reno at least once, but beyond those areas, Nevada just strikes me as an unattractive wasteland with scenery that is undoubtably inferior to that of the other states. Nevada has no Grand Canyon, no Zion or Bryce, no Carlsbad. Not just my least favorite desert state, but in my bottom five states overall.

Utah - Probably a bit more bland than the other two, but I'd love to see all their stunning national parks and Salt Lake City seems interesting.

New Mexico and Arizona are both very interesting states; I plan to visit sometime next year. I would probably slightly prefer Arizona, but that perception can change once I have the opportunity to experience both.
Just wait til you experience it like I have. I've lived here for five years and have discovered what its really like as an insider: it sucks. It may have some pretty scenery but: the schools are the single WORST in the country in graduation rates, spending per pupil and ACT/SAT scores; the air is really bad; illegal immigration gone ammock; very meager social services; ranks 49th in unemployment benfits; the single WORST state budget; biggest state budget deficit; the most jobs lost per-capita of any state; overcongestion of traffic; and very very few jobs available for the overpopulation (6.4 million); nothing but minimum wage jobs and almost no industry and production of goods and services to create a higher standard of living. That is the truth.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:51 PM

8,544 posts, read 10,063,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Just wait til you experience it like I have. I've lived here for five years and have discovered what its really like as an insider: it sucks. It may have some pretty scenery but: the schools are the single WORST in the country in graduation rates, spending per pupil and ACT/SAT scores; the air is really bad; illegal immigration gone ammock; very meager social services; ranks 49th in unemployment benfits; the single WORST state budget; biggest state budget deficit; the most jobs lost per-capita of any state; overcongestion of traffic; and very very few jobs available for the overpopulation (6.4 million); nothing but minimum wage jobs and almost no industry and production of goods and services to create a higher standard of living. That is the truth.
I think we're heard enough of your pessimism. Is there a spam flag?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.