U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:56 AM

314 posts, read 765,693 times

Advertisements

I want to move down south. Not CA, I am thinking of Arizona or Nevada.
Anyplace in the desert (Around cactuses etc. ).
I'm in my young 20's, and would like it if there were things going on if you know what I mean?

1) A city with at least 150,000 people.
2) No rain (or very little)
3) Liberal & Open minded people
4) Culture

Right now I'm looking at Tuscon or Phoenix, what do you think?

And of course, rent should not exceed $1k/month, so any neighbourhood tips would be nice too.

Last edited by stolpioni; 12-01-2009 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:26 AM

1,034 posts, read 3,873,477 times
Tucson housing prices will be less, but jobs will be more difficult to find and night life will be minimal. The party scene near Phoenix is in Scottsdale and Tempe. You could maybe rent an apartment for $1K depending on the area. The culture part has me stumped though; we lack that in most parts of AZ.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,449,250 times
$1k is more than enough to get a very nice apartment in most of phoenix - could even look at renting a house

that could maybe get you into a small place in either downtown or near old town scottsdale as well

culture means different things to different people - i think the phoenix metro has a lot of great cultural opportunities, you just need to dig for them and be willing to drive as they are spread out amongst the various neighborhoods and cities

Old 12-01-2009, 08:32 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,489,297 times
With your criteria you only have a few options...Phoenix (some suburbs), Tucson, Albuquerque, Las Vegas and El Paso.

You can probably toss Phoenix if you want a very liberal place ( they did elect Sheriff Joe) leaving you with the others.

El Paso is very sunny, very dry and in Texas (no state income tax). It is a democratic city, but not exactly liberal. It is also across the river from Juarez, though El Paso itself is very safe. El paso has some good culture and entertainment, but it is very isolated.

Albuququerque is probably the most liberal of the cities that fit your criteria, and it's also in the most liberal of the desert states (Arizona and Texas are red, Nevada is swing). It's a nice city, I'd recommend it based on your criteria.

Las Vegas has the highest foreclosure rate in the country, and the economy is suspect. But it does have the most entertainment and nightlife of the desert cities.

Don't know much about Tucson.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:49 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,060,420 times
Tucson, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Reno

Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,844,378 times
Not sure I would consider Reno as a "desert" city. Arid, yes. Desert, not really. More of a "mountain valley" city with cold, snowy winters, and hot, dry summers. Nice location, however, only an hour away from Tahoe.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:13 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,060,420 times
I was reluctant to include Reno but it meets the population criteria so I was just throwing it out there. Winters aren't much colder than Albuquerque.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:38 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,537,556 times
I'd say Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Las Vegas would be good fits.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:52 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,466,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
With your criteria you only have a few options...Phoenix (some suburbs), Tucson, Albuquerque, Las Vegas and El Paso.

You can probably toss Phoenix if you want a very liberal place ( they did elect Sheriff Joe) leaving you with the others.

El Paso is very sunny, very dry and in Texas (no state income tax). It is a democratic city, but not exactly liberal. It is also across the river from Juarez, though El Paso itself is very safe. El paso has some good culture and entertainment, but it is very isolated.

Albuququerque is probably the most liberal of the cities that fit your criteria, and it's also in the most liberal of the desert states (Arizona and Texas are red, Nevada is swing). It's a nice city, I'd recommend it based on your criteria.

Las Vegas has the highest foreclosure rate in the country, and the economy is suspect. But it does have the most entertainment and nightlife of the desert cities.

Don't know much about Tucson.

New Mexico is more of a swing state, its not as liberal as people make it out to be, like you said about El Paso, its more democratic, I would say the out of staters are liberals though but the New Mexican ways are more conservative, Northern NM is more blue and Southern NM is more red. It must have been George Lopez here with the Obama campaign that won most over.

anyways its far from an Oregon, Washington or Mass if that is what anyone is in search for. NM voted in Bush and voted in a Republican mayor for ABQ this year, and NM has a good chance at a republican Gov. for 2010.

all of the desert cities would be good choices though, if you want more of a true cactus type desert feel then Tucson is your place.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:55 AM

314 posts, read 765,693 times
Ok thanks, I am really into Albuquerque now..but I gotta ask, does it has this big city feel like other big cities like Seattle, Miami, New York etc? Or is it like I heard, a big small town?

I wanna be able to go to a restaurant at 3 a.m. at a tuesday without problems, is that possible there?
Which southern cities are like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.