Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,897 times

Advertisements

I was beyond surprised when I googled "laid back college towns" that virtually nothing came up. I'm going to be a senior this coming year, and sand is ticking away to which town i'll be living independently very very soon.
My absolute dream towns are Portland, Oregon, Seattle, Washington, and other various towns up and down California. The most obvious, and rather annoying, factor is that they are all life times away; and i'm not sure if I have thick enough skin to break away from my western Massachusetts roots so soon. So, pllllease suggest some towns. I think that Collegeboard and StudentReviews are going to explode if I keep using them.

Some factors to keep in mind:
I'm not a party girl; I'm not a fan of the drink-till-we-pass-out scene.
Also, not athletics. As in the meat-head jocky behavior. I love health and well being, though.
I'd love to walk outside of my dorm and see some independent shops, cafes, people reading books on lawns, etc. I like to astray from the quintessential "hipster" town, but, if i had to coin it that, that's what it would be. But, without the snide hipsters that got a hold of their daddy's credit card.
If anyone knows what Northampton, Ma is - THAT! but, bigger. much bigger. there is only so much to do in a half a mile of stores.
I'm looking at Boston, but I want more of a cozy small town feel and less concrete jungle.
A place where there's more to do then the main street, there are other surrounding cities, and if you drove an hour out you're in the rural country.

Sorry if this is alot, but i tried to include as much as i could.
Thanks in advance !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 12:06 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,172,277 times
Hmm...it's going to be a challenge to find something much bigger than Northampton while maintaining a "cozy small town" feel, I suspect. The first one to pop into my mind was Burlington, Vermont, but I'm not sure if that's big enough for you.

No problem for accessing the countryside because it's all around, although it's a bit isolated in terms of being far from significantly sized American cities. However, Montreal is pretty close, and that's a fantastic city.

Of course, the larger the city, the less of a "college town" it really is - so I'm not sure exactly what point on the spectrum you're looking for.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:20 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
I really like Princeton, NJ. It meets most of your criteria, and is a short train ride from both Philly & NYC.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:42 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,104,352 times
On this Thread, how far south does the "Northeast" extend

Shepardstown, WV---close to DC

Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,897 times
Try Westfield, MA. You can say that's a bigger Northampton I guess, though maybe not much, much bigger. The biggest nearby cities are Springfield, Hartford, and Worcester, some of New England's biggest cities (edit, I skimmed your post quick lol, seeing as how you're from western Mass you must already know that lol). Also, Boston isn't all that far and I'm pretty sure there's a bus service to Boston and NYC too (and back lol). Oh yeah, and you can find plenty of "rural country" close by too if that's what you're looking for.

Last edited by missRoxyhart; 07-12-2010 at 08:43 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 08:33 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Ithaca, New York.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:57 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Ithaca, New York.

I was just going to say that - but there will be a bit of the wholier than thou rich kids weilding their parents credit cards and pontificating on how they are better and more refined while in the same breath relentlessly describing and rationalizing reasons why not to work. not all of em though

Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,047,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I was just going to say that - but there will be a bit of the wholier than thou rich kids weilding their parents credit cards and pontificating on how they are better and more refined while in the same breath relentlessly describing and rationalizing reasons why not to work. not all of em though
Hahaha, my ex-girlfriend goes to school there. I visited the campus a few years ago before she went there. It was great.

It's actually the first college town I think of when I think of schools in the Northeast.

I tend to stay away from her.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,981 times
Madison, WI
Boulder, CO
Ithaca, NY
Charlottesville, VA
Newark, DE
Providence, RI
Princeton, NJ
Middletown, CT
Middlebury, VT
Burlington, VT
Oberlin, OH

Old 07-12-2010, 09:36 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Madison, WI
Boulder, CO
Ithaca, NY
Charlottesville, VA
Newark, DE
Providence, RI
Princeton, NJ
Middletown, CT
Middlebury, VT
Burlington, VT
Oberlin, OH
I forgot Middletown lol, and I lived there for a while. It's another really good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.