U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the ideal size for a college town?
Small and very rural (example: Pullman WA) 5 11.90%
Small but near a city (example: Storrs CT) 10 23.81%
Small city/ big town (example: Eugene OR) 10 23.81%
Mid sized city (example: Tucson AZ) 11 26.19%
Large city (example: Minneapolis) 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 02:57 PM

9,896 posts, read 21,179,064 times

Advertisements

There is a huge variety of towns & cities that are home to public universities in the US. Some schools are in very rural areas hours from any city (like Washington State in Pullman or Mississippi State in Starkville), others are in the core of their state's largest cities (like Minnesota in Minneapolis or Washington in Seattle) Then you have the tweeners, small cities like Tuscaloosa AL or Athens GA which are 1 hour or less from a large city.

What is the best size for a college town/ city??? What was your college experience like and how did the size/ location of your college town influence it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 04:26 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,407,692 times
Tuscon has a larger population than Minneapolis.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:08 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,761,104 times
I loved going to school at TA&M. College Station was not very big (about 70,000 people) but close to a large cosmopolitan city (Houston is about 90 miles East).

Old 12-01-2009, 05:57 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,587,131 times
Tiny dot on the map, very rural, far from any major city. The whole town revolves around the university. Think Upland, Indiana or Alma, Michigan.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:58 PM

11,906 posts, read 32,974,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Tiny dot on the map, very rural, far from any major city. The whole town revolves around the university. Think Upland, Indiana or Alma, Michigan.
Yes, I LOVE those kinds of college towns, where the entire town lives and breathes their local college. Other towns like this that I love:

Oxford, Mississippi
Hanover, New Hampshire
Boone, North Carolina
Middlebury, Vermont

While I adore the university where I currently work (the University of Tennessee) and even though U.T. sports dominate the local media, we're still a university with 28,000 students in a CSA of over 1 million. When the students go home for the summer, almost no one notices or cares.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,008,329 times
I have a feeling we have different meanings of "very rural." The college town I went to was the size of Pullman, but I'm not sure I ever thought of it as "very rural."

To me I'm not sure any college town is "very rural", except maybe one of those in New England. Although looking it up Peru State College might be close as the town is smaller than the college and is in a majority-rural county. Hiram College is in the Akron metropolitan area, but Akron appears to be over 25 miles away and town itself has around a thousand people.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Hiram-Ohio.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Peru-Nebraska.html

Old 12-01-2009, 08:31 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,641,421 times
I like an actual college town where the town revolves around the college. A size of 30-50k population seems about right. Being within an hour of a major city is a plus

Old 12-01-2009, 08:39 PM

5,861 posts, read 14,072,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I like an actual college town where the town revolves around the college. A size of 30-50k population seems about right. Being within an hour of a major city is a plus
To me, that is the DEFINITION of a college town. Boston and Philadelphia have multiple colleges in them, but they are not college towns. Seattle and Minneapolis have a huge universities in them, but they are not college towns. West Lafayette, Bloomington, State College, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Amherst, Chapel Hill, Tuscaloosa, Bryant Station, Iowa City, Urbana---now those are college towns.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:42 PM

5,861 posts, read 14,072,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I have a feeling we have different meanings of "very rural." The college town I went to was the size of Pullman, but I'm not sure I ever thought of it as "very rural."

To me I'm not sure any college town is "very rural", except maybe one of those in New England. Although looking it up Peru State College might be close as the town is smaller than the college and is in a majority-rural county. Hiram College is in the Akron metropolitan area, but Akron appears to be over 25 miles away and town itself has around a thousand people.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Hiram-Ohio.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Peru-Nebraska.html
I can think of lots of them: Yellow Springs, OH, Morris, MN, Stevens Point, WI, Indiana, PA, Kirksville, MO, Plattsburgh, NY, Valdosta, GA...

Old 12-01-2009, 08:49 PM

11,194 posts, read 22,419,385 times
I was born and raised in Iowa City, but moved away after college (3rd generation), and the older I get the more I absolutely respect being raised in that awesome and educational environment.

I'm obviously biased, but I loved growing up in an area that was SO wrapped around a major University. There was a ton of the cultural advantages, the fact the city is tied for #1 in the % of population with a college degree, low crime, very liberal/progressive, small enough there's no traffic, extremely low unemployment, respect, fun, etc.

When I was born around 1980 it was 30,000 students and 50,000 full time residents. That's increased now to 30,000 students and 100,000 residents. I actually appreciated the city more when it was smaller. Now that the area has grown more, it seems to be taking on a life of itself that's pushing the University to a smaller play in the day to day life.

I think really small areas than that have smaller colleges that aren't as "full blown" on everything a "College town" can offer, while huge college areas like Austin and Columbus can easily have the "college" factor drown out by the hundreds of thousands....or millions...of people who aren't dealing direclty with the College/University.

My thread on Iowa City pictures if anyone's bored or cares to take a look:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/iowa/...here-some.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.