U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 06:11 PM

16 posts, read 28,270 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move with my family, but no clue where to go! I live in a small town in North Iowa, where it's freezing and there's not much to do.

Some things on my wish list:
  • Nice climate (not super hot humid summers, not super cold snowy winters! - 30's or above for winter would be nice, a little snow is ok, but not a ton)
  • Safe for me and my girls
  • Reasonable/low cost of living (houses around 100-120k maybe)
  • Beach &/or mountains nearby would be awesome!
  • Lots of activities for me and my girls
I'm lookin g for a general area right now, and when I figure that out, then a more specific place.

If my friend transfers with his company, we can get all our moving expenses paid, and he's gaurenteed a job, which is a definite plus. It wouldn't have to be near one of the following places, but if it was w/in 30 mins drive, that would be a plus! Some places that my friend can relocate with his company are:
  • Baltimore, MD
  • Boston (Charlestown), MD
  • Aliquippa, PA
  • Norfolk, VA
  • East Chicago, IN
  • Rainier, OR
  • Galena Park, TX
  • Plaster City, CA
  • Santa Fe Springs, CA
  • Sweetwater, TX
  • Shoals, IN
  • Southard, OK
  • Sigurd, UT
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Empire, NV
  • Bridgeport, AL
Thanks so much in advance for any suggestions! We want to move before next school year, and have to get this figured out soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 07:08 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,026,385 times
I would think somewhere in the coastal carolinas.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:26 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,442,308 times
Baltimore - too expensive. Fairly hot/humid.
Boston - too cold, too expensive
Aliquippa, PA - might be too cold
Norfolk, VA - might be too expensive
East Chicago, IN - might be too cold
Rainier, OR - might be too expensive, lots of clouds/rain
Galena Park, TX - might be too hot/humid
Plaster City, CA - very hot, middle of nowhere
Santa Fe Springs, CA - too expensive
Sweetwater, TX - might be too hot
Shoals, IN - might work, but not too near much
Southard, OK - might work, but not too near much
Sigurd, UT - might work, but not too near much
New Orleans, LA - too hot/humid
Empire, NV - might work, a little expensive
Bridgeport, AL - might work, probably a little too hot/humid

That's a start.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:16 AM

21,201 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Baltimore-proper fits all of your criteria except for homes in safe areas from 100-120K.

Check out Montgomery Village, MD. It's a planned community halfway between Baltimore and DC.
You won't find a detached single family house in your price range, though you will find 3 to 4 bedroom, 2 to 2.5 bath,
1400 square foot townhomes for a bit above your range (130K or just under). It's a safe area with very good schools and plenty to do in terms of neighborhood recreational opportunity for the girls, as well as things to do in nearby DC or Baltimore. Montgomery Village Foundation - Welcome to Montgomery Village!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or