U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 10:47 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Not if you include Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. Then your talking about metro population of over 3 million.
But you can't count Ciudad Juarez. Nobody will care about an El Paso team in Ciudad Juarez. Oh and El Paso is growing but it's not growing that fast. At least not as fast compared to the rest of the sunbelt.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:14 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Had their chance? You mean like Denver, Atlanta, Ottawa and the Twin Cities?
I'm not sure about the others, but the Atlanta Flames of the NHL did not move to Calgary due to lack of interest or low attendance in Atlanta. They were sold by owner Tom Cousins because of his financial difficulties.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:34 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,793,953 times
MLB - Charlotte
San Antonio

NBA - There Are Enough Teams But If So

Tampa Bay (Stadium and Population Reasons)
Seattle (Be Loved City)
or A City In Missouri

NFL

Orlando if the stadium gets built.
Las Vegas
Los Angeles. I Really think L.A. should have one. Big city and they need their own team.

NHL Milwaukee
Salt Lake City

Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,591,643 times
None. All 3 leagues are oversaturated with franchises especially MLB. No city that currently does not have MLB could support it. There are 10-15 MLB cities now that can't support their teams they already have.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:53 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
NFL - San Antonio > L.A.

NBA - Seattle, Fort Worth (don't even mention that other city... ), Las Vegas

MLB - Charlotte, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Vancouver or Montreal?

NHL - Any city besides Boston in the New England area, Quebec, Kansas City, Winnipeg, Seattle or Portland.

Notes:

*I believe San Antonio diserves an NFL team a hell of alot more than L.A. does. L.A. had 3 teams, couldn't keep any one of them. Enough said.

*Fort Worth could hold at least one major leauge sports team even though it's next to Dallas (technically, we have the Rangers AND the Cowboys anyway, but let's not get into that...), and I believe the NBA is our best bet.

*I don't know if Canada wants another MLB team.

*The only Sun belt hockey teams that should stay where they are... the Stars, Hurricanes, Panthers, Kings, and maybe Ducks, IMO.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:36 PM

5,716 posts, read 14,569,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm not sure about the others, but the Atlanta Flames of the NHL did not move to Calgary due to lack of interest or low attendance in Atlanta. They were sold by owner Tom Cousins because of his financial difficulties.
I wasn't degrading Atlanta, just saying that they met the criterion of having a franchise before their current one.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:38 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
NBA - Seattle, Fort Worth (don't even mention that other city... ), Las Vegas
I forgot to mention St. Louis.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:08 PM

19 posts, read 96,019 times
The midwest has MLB teams: Milwaukee, Chicago, Twin Cities, St. Louis, Etc... DesMoines, Omaha aren't large enough and don't have the buisness to support it, plain and simple

Old 01-22-2010, 08:13 PM

19 posts, read 96,019 times
I live in Milwaukee, and the NHL will never come here, especially with the NHL in it's current economic state. Most people don't realize it, but Milwaukee was close to getting the NHL in the late 80s and early 90s many times. The Bradley Center (where the Bucks play) is actually specifically built for hockey because husband of the insanely rich family that donated the money for the BC was a former Blackhawks announder (Lloyd Pettit). He came close to buying the Blues, Penguins, Islanders, and Nordiques. He quit trying because the city was concerned that the Bucks would suffer by having another sport playing during the same season.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:22 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,793,448 times
It would be nice if Columbus would get an NFL or NBA franchise, although I don't see it happening.
Ohio State University has such a huge presence in the city ... and Cleveland has the Cavaliers, Browns and the Indians. Cincinnatti has the Reds & the Bengals. Columbus is a large enough city / metro region to sustain a pro - team, however due to the huge and cult like following of the "Buckeyes", it will likely never happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or