U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2010, 04:45 PM
 
Location: Garden City, KS
110 posts, read 232,983 times
Reputation: 61

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
I don't believe Austin is a big enough market for a pro team because The University of Texas will always dominate Austin. But, I could see a team going to San Antonio.

I don't see Orlando getting an MLB either.

My three predictions.....

1) Buffalo Bills move to Toronto
2) Jacksonville Jaguars move to Los Angeles
3) Charlotte receives an MLB team
I agree with you completely.

 
Old 03-28-2010, 11:31 PM
 
1,250 posts, read 2,119,106 times
Reputation: 279
Which professional sports teams are likely or possibly move in the next few years since I doubt any will expand in the next decade and are near a practical cap in number of teams anyway.

One issue that hasn't been discussed is the issue about sunbelt areas and pro sports due to transplants. It makes support of area teams lower than would be predicted, look at the issues of sports teams struggling in Florida with support.
 
Old 03-30-2010, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
1,860 posts, read 4,443,975 times
Reputation: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
Which professional sports teams are likely or possibly move in the next few years since I doubt any will expand in the next decade and are near a practical cap in number of teams anyway.

One issue that hasn't been discussed is the issue about sunbelt areas and pro sports due to transplants. It makes support of area teams lower than would be predicted, look at the issues of sports teams struggling in Florida with support.
This is a great point, I went to a Cavs/Bobcats game last month in Charlotte, and while it was a sell-out, I kid you not that it was about a 50/50 split between Cavs/Bobcats fans. That said, the old adage in pro sports is that winning cures all, and if sun-belt teams win, their communities will rally around them (see the Hawks this season, the Magic the past few seasons off the top of my head). I think it was foolish for the NHL to try to make hockey work in Florida, and to try to have an NFL franchise in JAX is asking a lot of a not very big city. While I'm a Cavalier/Cleveland fan living in the Carolinas, I still pull for the local/regional teams to do well as long as they aren't playing the Cavs or Browns!

I think you'll probably see the Jaguars move from the NFL, could see a bunch of hockey teams move in the next decade (was a huge mistake in my opinion to relocate as many teams as they did out of Canada a while back), and while the Clippers won't move as long as they have their cheap owner, they should move to San Diego to get out of the Lakers limelight.

As for the comment from another poster about Charlotte getting an MLB team, don't see it happening anytime soon, they can't even get the funding necessary to move their AAA minor league team into a downtown stadium from their current facility across the state-line in Ft. Mill, SC.
 
Old 03-30-2010, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
3,093 posts, read 4,139,184 times
Reputation: 3117
Haven't read this entire thread. However I will say in response to a couple of posters...college sports are way better than pro sports. Espescially college football. College ball has more tradition, better rivalries, louder stadiums, better looking stadiums and more history than NFL ball does. College ball predates the first Super Bowl by nearly 100 years. As the northerners like to say on here it has more "history" and "character". Not to mention the players are actually mostly from the area of the team they are playing for. How many Patriots players are actually from Mass? Because I promise you every year at least 92% of UT's starting lineup is going to be from Texas.
 
Old 03-30-2010, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Boston
1,125 posts, read 4,105,522 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Haven't read this entire thread. However I will say in response to a couple of posters...college sports are way better than pro sports. Espescially college football. College ball has more tradition, better rivalries, louder stadiums, better looking stadiums and more history than NFL ball does. College ball predates the first Super Bowl by nearly 100 years. As the northerners like to say on here it has more "history" and "character". Not to mention the players are actually mostly from the area of the team they are playing for. How many Patriots players are actually from Mass? Because I promise you every year at least 92% of UT's starting lineup is going to be from Texas.
I'm glad your a fan of college football. But some of your statements are definitely rediculous and points subjective.

1. Why are you singling out Northerners on this. Fans of Pro teams and College teams are all over the country.
2. No Pro team in any sport has a majority of local players. Franchises are not providing an education, they are providing a salary.
3. Better looking/louder Stadiums? Subjective, but didn't your state just build a 100k seat extremely nice stadium for $1.3 Billion? Plus I'm sure 100k cheering fans sounds just as loud as any other 100k group of screaming fans.
4. This is an 'apples to oranges' comparison.
5. Maybe your opinion is based on the fact that Austin doesn't have a pro team?
6. Oh and finally, learn to spell.

Last edited by nate14ri; 03-30-2010 at 08:07 AM..
 
Old 03-30-2010, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Austin, Texas
3,093 posts, read 4,139,184 times
Reputation: 3117
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate14ri View Post
I'm glad your a fan of college football. But some of your statements are definitely rediculous and points subjective.

1. Why are you singling out Northerners on this. Fans of Pro teams and College teams are all over the country.
2. No Pro team in any sport has a majority of local players. Franchises are not providing an education, they are providing a salary.
3. Better looking/louder Stadiums? Subjective, but didn't your state just build a 100k seat extremely nice stadium for $1.3 Billion? Plus I'm sure 100k cheering fans sounds just as loud as any other 100k group of screaming fans.
4. This is an 'apples to oranges' comparison.
5. Maybe your opinion is based on the fact that Austin doesn't have a pro team?
6. Oh and finally, learn to spell.
1. When did I single out northerners? I know there are a ton of northern college fans (Ohio State anybody). Please tell me where I did that?

2. That's my point

3. That's my opinion, college stadiums are generally more pleasing architecturally.

4. Not sure what comparison you are talking about

5. You don't know where i'm from. You know where I currently live. I'm a University of Texas student. I could be from Houston or Dallas for all you know (btw, there are a lot of students here that grew up in Dallas and are Cowboys fans who agree with me). And maybe your opinion is based on the fact that the New England area can't pump out sufficient football talent on its own.

6. If you are going to criticize my spelling at least point out what I mispelled. And while you're busy trying to make me look like a fool, you could have at least used a question mark when you asked me why I was trying to single out northerners (which I wasn't. read the post again).
 
Old 03-30-2010, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Boston
1,125 posts, read 4,105,522 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Haven't read this entire thread. However I will say in response to a couple of posters...college sports are way better than pro sports. Espescially college football. College ball has more tradition, better rivalries, louder stadiums, better looking stadiums and more history than NFL ball does. College ball predates the first Super Bowl by nearly 100 years. As the northerners like to say on here it has more "history" and "character". Not to mention the players are actually mostly from the area of the team they are playing for. How many Patriots players are actually from Mass? Because I promise you every year at least 92% of UT's starting lineup is going to be from Texas.
1. Bolded - Where you single out northerners. That opinion does not apply specifically to "Northerners".
2. Thats why you can't compare one league better than other. Its not an equal comparison.
5. Just like YOU said. How do you know where I'm from? Just my current location is in New England.
And FYI Boston College plays in the ACC and has done well.

6. Also, I think its funny your in college and still don't know what you spelled wrong in your original post.

Last edited by nate14ri; 03-30-2010 at 09:10 AM..
 
Old 03-30-2010, 09:04 AM
 
Location: Austin,Tx
1,691 posts, read 3,094,041 times
Reputation: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
I don't believe Austin is a big enough market for a pro team because The University of Texas will always dominate Austin. But, I could see a team going to San Antonio.

I don't see Orlando getting an MLB either.

My three predictions.....

1) Buffalo Bills move to Toronto
2) Jacksonville Jaguars move to Los Angeles
3) Charlotte receives an MLB team


I would have never thought OKC would have gotten a pro Basketball team but they did when someone from there bought the Sonics and moved them there and OKC is about the same size as Austin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Aztex_FC

Last edited by bgrn198; 03-30-2010 at 09:23 AM..
 
Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 AM
 
1,588 posts, read 3,564,671 times
Reputation: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Haven't read this entire thread. However I will say in response to a couple of posters...college sports are way better than pro sports. Espescially college football....
College football would top the NFL once it has an actual playoff system set up so a legitimate champion can be crowned. Until that happens, college football remains a popularity contest.
 
Old 04-01-2010, 11:11 PM
 
Location: ☀ ѕυnѕнιne ѕтaтe ☀
1,417 posts, read 2,796,094 times
Reputation: 244
Jacksonville will NOT BE moving from the NFL. Only pro team moving from Florida in near future is RAYS if they do not get a new stadium. They may move to Orlando to try and keep the team in Florida. These owners do NOT want to relocate to California.. For What Reason???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top