U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:33 AM

2,701 posts, read 4,671,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I don't know if most people out here would agrees with you the Blazers aren't a legit pro-team. Really, the NBA is considered a secondary sport? Maybe back east MLB is much bigger than the NBA with teams like the Red Sox and Yankees. But, I know very few people of my age(29) who follow baseball--it's bigger in parts of California more so than in the Northwest, but even most of the people I know in Seattle aren't that interested in the Mariners. Football and basketball have been the number one and number two sports for as long as I can remember--a common reaction around World Series time from people I know is--who cares?

Anyhow, if Portland by some incredible longshot ever got an MLB team, all the transplants from California, Ohio, Michigan, Chicago, Boston, and New York would probably just end up rooting for their hometown teams against Portland.
Very good point about the "secondary sport" thing. In all reality baseball has fallen to secondary status- NBA is a dominant sport nationwide and even worldwide, it has grown in popularity so much while baseball has waned. NFL and Basketball are the new #1 and #2 sports, with baseball being in 3rd place overall. Of course there are still specific markets where baseball is "IT", such as New York, Boston, Chicago, etc- but it's no longer this way nationwide.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:56 AM

77 posts, read 167,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Very good point about the "secondary sport" thing. In all reality baseball has fallen to secondary status- NBA is a dominant sport nationwide and even worldwide, it has grown in popularity so much while baseball has waned. NFL and Basketball are the new #1 and #2 sports, with baseball being in 3rd place overall. Of course there are still specific markets where baseball is "IT", such as New York, Boston, Chicago, etc- but it's no longer this way nationwide.
I think the idea of the NBA being more popular than MLB depends on where you live. Here in Wichita, there are not a lot of people who follow the NBA, even though there is a team two hours away in OKC. Most people I know here are college hoops fans and couldn't give a hoot about the NBA (thanks to KU's tradition). That said, I can't say that it's not more popular in other places.

Oh, and the idea of Wichita supporting an NBA team is a joke. We can't get people to support the other professional franchises here (independent league, no less). Plus OKC has a team, and Kansas City has an arena just begging for one.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:56 PM

2,701 posts, read 4,671,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I guess that depends on where you are at. College Football is far more popular in the South than it is in the North. IMO, The elite college football programs and games have better rivalries, better atmospheres, better traditions, better shows. Now the level of the NFL is far greater than college football and there is no denying that.
I agree with you on this! And I must add my home state of Nebraska into this- Nebraska is a place with INCREDIBLE atmosphere and tradition, a stadium that just roars from beginning to end for a game. And go to a big game there, against a top ten team or a rivalry? Forget about being able to hear anything at all until long after the game is over. This type of atmosphere there and at many other venues across the country are what make college football far better than NFL. I know NFL has better talent, but that's about it.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:21 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,313,558 times
The next city for a Major League Baseball Team (in the American League) should be Fargo, North Dakota.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:26 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,108,472 times
I'd kinda like to see San Antonio get their own NFL team, but I don't know if American football would get supported enough down there. That plus Texas has two major teams already, the Cowboys & Texans.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:00 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,794,514 times
Orlando should get a baseball team. Only due to we had minor league baseball in and out of the city, and spring training is major and there are many ball parks. makes sense. And Since baseball attracts the Latino culture I think we could support one with our large Puerto Rican population.

NFL in Orlando, Would love to see, probably WONT happen since 3 other cities in our state have NFL teams along with Atlanta, Baltimore, Nashville, New Orleans, Charlotte, Houston, And Dallas all have NFL teams in the Southern region. Yeah wont happen LOL.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:34 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,117,296 times
I still wonder about viability of sports teams in places like Florida with a high transplant population. It shows up in cases in the Atlanta area where team support is very fair-weather due to this.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:39 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,050,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCity View Post
I don't believe Austin is a big enough market for a pro team because The University of Texas will always dominate Austin. But, I could see a team going to San Antonio.

I don't see Orlando getting an MLB either.

My three predictions.....

1) Buffalo Bills move to Toronto
2) Jacksonville Jaguars move to Los Angeles
3) Charlotte receives an MLB team
Is Jacksonville struggling to keep the Jaguars? This is my first time hearing about it if it is so.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I still wonder about viability of sports teams in places like Florida with a high transplant population. It shows up in cases in the Atlanta area where team support is very fair-weather due to this.
Well the teams still stay and do well. Maybe exept Jaguars which would be the LEAST transplant city of the 4. I mean they are still here. Never moved. So....

Old 04-03-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Is Jacksonville struggling to keep the Jaguars? This is my first time hearing about it if it is so.
Yeah not enough Fans really. Most of the time Florida has these fans issues when it really in reality is a stadium problem. I mean Florida's structure are not world class and kept up their older and in need of renovation or to be rebuilt.but to answer your question whatever the real reason, yes the Jaguars are. But it is all talk, their has been no real decisions made about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or