U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,727,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus PA View Post
Portland needs a baseball team.
I don't see it happening any time soon. They won a MLS franchise and just the attempt to modify the stadium and move the AAA baseball team has become a complete wreck from all angles.

With the rainy weather MLB would need a retractable roof stadium and I don't see PDX folks wanting to spend that kind of tax $$$ to build some millionaire a stadium.

But from a baseball perspective it would be nice...call 'em the Portland Protestors and add them to the AL West to bring it to 5 teams.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:15 PM

904 posts, read 1,635,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I think you need to take a Geography class. Frankfort, not Louisville, is Kentucky's state capital. And no, Louisville is not nearlly large enough to have a pro sports team.
Obviously it is if the NBA has considered it a few times. They wouldn't waste their time giving the city consideration if they didn't think it was big enough. It may not be the biggest market, but with the amount of basketball fans in the whole state would probably make it work.

And okay, I mistakenly said Louisville is the capital. I don't understand why so many people on this board need to be a d*** about everything. Correct me, no need to be an *****.

Old 12-03-2009, 01:24 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,278,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I think you need to take a Geography class. Frankfort, not Louisville, is Kentucky's state capital. And no, Louisville is not nearlly large enough to have a pro sports team.
Frankfort? That's probably the one state capital I've never heard of before.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:32 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,460,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
Yeah Austin doesn't need a pro sports team at all, there's simply just no point in that with all the UT culture. But as far as baseball goes...Charlotte and Portland NEED teams. Portland would develop a natural rivalry with Seattle and the city needs a legit pro team(NBA/NHL=secondary sport). And Charlotte...well they have the entire Charlotte/Raleigh-Durham-CHapel Hill/Greensboro/Winston-Salem/Asheville TV market to work with. I believe that this is currently the largest television network without a MLB team, and I guarentee that they will land a team fairly soon. The location, size of the city, and natural rivalry with Atlanta is too perfect.

Personally, I would like to see New Orleans and either Omaha or Des Moines get MLB teams. I think there is a need for some sort of midwestern city to get a team..way too much of a geographical gap, and Indy is unfortunately locked by a brand new AAA-ball complex.

Des Moines and Omaha are way too small for a MLB team, they are even too small of a market for the NBA, which could possibly make it in Omaha if given a chance.

but Des Moines does do good with their triple A team, they draw good but its too small to bring in 30,000 a game 80 times a year.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:43 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,335,461 times
Austin and Columbus have the population base to support major league teams, but their respective college sports scenes are just too dominating.

San Diego, Las Vegas, Louisville, Kansas City, St. Louis, Tampa, Norfolk, and Nashville could support NBA teams. You could also add the NC Triad to the list. The Greensboro Coliseum is the largest in the state, but an NBA team would probably consider it "too old." Vegas and Norfolk have the population to sustain an NFL team also.

MLB is tricky. Someone mentioned Charlotte, but we're not quite there yet. We're doing pretty good with our two teams (in terms of support, not performance--separate issue), and adding MLB would be a bit much at this time. Heck, we're struggling trying to get our minor league baseball team to locate to Uptown from the suburbs.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,278,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
MLB is tricky. Someone mentioned Charlotte, but we're not quite there yet. We're doing pretty good with our two teams (in terms of support, not performance--separate issue), and adding MLB would be a bit much at this time. Heck, we're struggling trying to get our minor league baseball team to locate to Uptown from the suburbs.
Apart from Atlanta (FL and TX don't count), the South lacks any MLB teams. So the lack of popularity of baseball in the region, could make future teams in even heavily populated cities unpopular.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:48 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,335,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Apart from Atlanta (FL and TX don't count), the South lacks any MLB teams. So the lack of popularity of baseball in the region, could make future teams in even heavily populated cities unpopular.
I don't think it has anything to do with lack of popularity, but rather lack of population.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:43 PM

3,970 posts, read 11,836,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with lack of popularity, but rather lack of population.
Agreed, there seems to be a lot of emotion on this thread, and that is actually not a bad thing. But it really comes down to revenue possibilities, and the ability of a city to "welcome" professional sports, or in other words, willing to pony up. Unfortunately, many cities (Portland is a good example), are not willing to do this. The cities who really want pro teams are usually smaller or medium population cities that are looking to bump themselves ahead. In most cases, this "bump" is unrealistic and not worth the price. Especially in this economy.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,276,935 times
There are 6 MLB teams in the South: Braves, Marlins, Devil Rays, Astros, Nationals, and Rangers. Baseball is as popular as it is anywhere else in the U.S., but as someone stated earlier, there must be a population large enough to average around 30,000 per game for 80 or so games. The cities that have such a population already have MLB teams.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:25 PM

880 posts, read 2,530,943 times
I would like to see a MLB team in NC sometime in the future. There is just too much space in between Atlanta and Washington DC. As the population of the region continues to grow, I can see one sprouting up in NC in future years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or