U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:23 AM

4,028 posts, read 6,397,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus finest View Post
columbus could easily support an nba team.
Yeah, I don't know why they don't have any sports teams when they are the biggest city in Ohio but somehow very overlooked.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 AM

883 posts, read 1,975,669 times
San Antonio could support an NFL team, i remember there was a finding that said SA could support and sustain both an NFL team and an MLB team.

Im for NHL in Houston, we already have AHL and the games were pretty cool, and with Dallas to the north, im sure a natural rivalry would occur. For example, when MLS came to Houston, FC Dallas and the Dynamo quickly developed a rivalry.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:55 AM

235 posts, read 797,554 times
is this list only for American cities ?

if not the cities at the top of the list for each of the sports should be Canadian because of their size.

nhl quebec city, winnipeg, hamilton (all are similar to oklahoma city, memphis for size but have no teams in any league)
nba vancouver (bigger than denver only a hockey team), montreal (close to detroit or boston in size (doesn't even include Ottawa which is only an hour drive from Montreal and has 1.5 million people) and only a hockey team which it supports with the highest attendance)
mlb vancouver (the mlb talent from british columbia rivals mexico)
nfl Toronto (the cfl has made football very popular there. there are lots of nfl fans.)

the calgary, edmonton corridoor has 2.5 million people, has a population that's growing extremely fast. maybe by the next census it will have over 3 million people. the per capita gdp there is almost twice that of the US. could support a team in a league other than the nhl.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:53 AM

1,588 posts, read 3,562,745 times
Some of the cities / metros listed may have the population base, but do they have the disposable income required to support one or more teams?

Old 12-06-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
MLB is tricky. Someone mentioned Charlotte, but we're not quite there yet. We're doing pretty good with our two teams (in terms of support, not performance--separate issue), and adding MLB would be a bit much at this time. Heck, we're struggling trying to get our minor league baseball team to locate to Uptown from the suburbs.
I follow the Bobcats (and the Panthers) and Charlotte does not support them well. Last year the franchise had to discount some seats by up to 50% during the holiday season.

Bobcat attendance numbers (30 teams):
2004 - 05: ranked 28th
2005 - 06: ranked 22nd
2006 - 07: ranked 27th
2007 - 08: ranked 24th
2008 - 09: ranked 26th

Old 12-06-2009, 11:53 AM

2,161 posts, read 3,988,881 times
Really? I know about the Bobcats, but I always thought the Panthers were doing okay.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Really? I know about the Bobcats, but I always thought the Panthers were doing okay.
Huh? I stated I follow the Bobcats (and the Panthers), but my post was obviously about the Bobcats.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:24 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,988,881 times
Okay, sorry a mistake.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:38 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,726,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
nba vancouver (bigger than denver only a hockey team
Ever hear of the Vancouver Grizzlies? Probably won't be another NBA team there for a long while...

Old 12-09-2009, 07:24 AM

21,193 posts, read 30,372,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Birmingham's metro population is closer to 1.2 million in population and isn't the only major city in the South without a major league pro sports team. Austin, Louisville, Richmond, and Norfolk/Hampton Roads, all with metro populations around Birmingham's size or larger, don't have one either.
1.2 million, 1.5 million...whatever the latest geographic encompassing
dictates....it doesn't matter. Also, for the most population doesn't dictate pro sports team placements, rather market share and geography.

Austin won't be considered because it's smack in between Dallas, Houston and San Antonio who already have numerous pro sports franchises.

Louisville is somewhat possible but rather close to Cincinnati and Indianapolis. The NBA would probably be the next league to expand and I can't see them choosing Louisville over Cincinnati's proven support for the NFL's Bengals and MLB's Reds.

Richmond is in the shadow of DC and Baltimore. DC had to fight hard and pull some strings to get the Nationals MLB franchise because the Baltimore Orioles ownership was fiercely opposed to it. Baseball would probably be Richmond's only viable option and that clearly wouldn't happen.

Norfolk/Hampton Roads is a bit of a mirage as the population says "yes", but the reality says "no". A majority of people living in Norfolk metro are military and from all over the US. It's also quite transitional, so geographic loyalty isn't there for most. The Florida sports markets have dealt with that for years and I don't see Norfolk dealing with it as effectively as Miami or Tampa.

Lastly if you look at a map, Birmingham is central to a prosperous area without sports representation.The area from Birmingham north to Huntsville has been booming for awhile. The Mobile area to the south has as well, and you can bet that many would turn their support from a Louisiana sports franchise (New Orleans) to a sports franchise in their home state of Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or