Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 03:20 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Oh, and college sports ****ing suck.
Go to any Notre Dame, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Auburn, UCLA, Oregon, Florida, LSU, or Texas game and you will see that college sports are ****ing awesome.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:02 PM

150 posts, read 127,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Go watch a rivalry game such as A&M vs UT, Auburn vs Alabama, Oregon vs O State, Ohio State vs Michigan then get back to us

Having experienced both college and pro a number of times, the intensity, atmosphere and spirit at a high level college game dwarfs that of any NFL game .... and I love the NFL

That being said..... I think that the Hampton roads should get a pro team of some kind, although I don't know which sport would be best for them
The talent level is too depleted, I will pass.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
SWV SWV started this thread

445 posts, read 1,337,348 times
Omg, I knew this thread was going to turn into a war!

Old 12-02-2009, 05:47 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
Go to any Notre Dame, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Auburn, UCLA, Oregon, Florida, LSU, or Texas game and you will see that college sports are ****ing awesome.
The individual games may be exciting but there is no proper organization to the system. Football is especially bad in this regard. No conference should have power over another and no judges should determine who is better than whom.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:33 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Oh, and college sports ****ing suck.
haha ROFL. that's a good one...Who is this guy?

You must be Canadian. IMHO College football and basketball are actually more "exciting" than the pro sports. The vast number of teams, and lack of parity also makes it great. If you don't live in a city or state with a pro team you're out of luck, but every single state has at least one college with a Div. 1 basketball team and usually a D1 FBS or at least a FCS football team. On top of that, many sports are bigger at the college level than they are at the pro level, such as lacrosse (in the Northeast anyway) and womens' basketball.

To answer the original question I think LA should have a football team (USC doesn't count).

Also, I think some cities shouldn't have pro teams. For one DC needs to get rid of the Nationals since we didn't need them in the first place and they suck so much that your average little league team could beat them. The Orioles are the true Balt-Wash baseball team (even though they also suck, but with style).

Secondly, why do Southern cities have hockey teams? Ice hockey in Florida is wrong on several different levels. The US will never share Canada's strange obsession with the sport. The "National Hockey League" is so heavy with Canadian teams that the divisions are all screwed up. Texas is in the "Pacific" and DC is in the South?!

Also, the growing popularity of soccer is good, but the sport still needs to be appreciated more. There needs to be more stability in the MLS. It's also weird that there are no soccer teams in the Southeast (Texas being SW), yet they have hockey teams.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:55 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,665,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssa luvs mojitos View Post
NFL Team: L.A.
MLB Team: Portland
NBA Team: New York haha
NHL Team: Milwaukee
Agree with 3 of your 4. Portland has basically told MLB to "f-off". Nobody will support a major league stadium, and the focus is on building a new minor league stadium for their minor league team. Even that is under serious debate. You have to understand that Portland, generally, doesn't define themselves as being major league. Many simply don't want that. Unique among cities of that size.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:21 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
As for MLB, I think an NC city would be a front runner, fallowed by San Antonio, Nashville, Memphis, Jacksonville (if they lose the Jags), and Orlando. I know SA REALLY wants another pro team, it has a bigger market than any of the others mentioned (except for NC), and its fan base would also include Austin, Central Texas, the Hill Country, and South Texas. Although, personally I don't think there's enough of a demand for pro baseball in Texas to support 3 teams. I would rather see the Rangers and the Astros win a World Series or two before we add another team. Although in Texas, football is king, and i think the state could definitely support another NFL team. But Texas is a HUGE market and growing fast, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the state add few pro teams in next ten years.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:37 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
As for MLB, I think an NC city would be a front runner, fallowed by San Antonio, Nashville, Memphis, Jacksonville (if they lose the Jags), and Orlando. I know SA REALLY wants another pro team, it has a bigger market than any of the others mentioned (except for NC), and its fan base would also include Austin, Central Texas, the Hill Country, and South Texas. Although, personally I don't think there's enough of a demand for pro baseball in Texas to support 3 teams. I would rather see the Rangers and the Astros win a World Series or two before we add another team. Although in Texas, football is king, and i think the state could definitely support another NFL team. But Texas is a HUGE market and growing fast, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the state add few pro teams in next ten years.
I think San Antonio would be more of a front runner for an NFL team actually, but within a few years, it could be ready for MLB. The only thing is that I can't see anywhere getting an MLB team yet.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:21 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Agree with 3 of your 4. Portland has basically told MLB to "f-off". Nobody will support a major league stadium, and the focus is on building a new minor league stadium for their minor league team. Even that is under serious debate. You have to understand that Portland, generally, doesn't define themselves as being major league. Many simply don't want that. Unique among cities of that size.
Yes, Portland is the largest metro without two major league franchises and it will probably remain that way for a while. We could've had a shot at getting the Expos, but MLB probably would've gone for DC even if there was a serious demand in Portland for baseball--which there wasn't.

Considering how much debate has surrounded the PGE Park debacle and just bringing Major League Soccer to Portland, I can't see us landing another franchise soon. People in Portland seem to be content with just having the Trailblazers--and the rest of Oregon is happy with the beloved Ducks for football(and to a lesser extent the Beavers). And with the fact that Portland might even lose the Portland Beavers AAA baseball team to a surrounding suburb(and with the lackluster local support of that team)--Major League Baseball seems like a longshot.

We might have a better shot at getting a hockey team..the Rose Garden is still a decent venue and lots of NHL and NBA teams share an arena. But this city likes to think small--your average resident or transplant is more concerned with local quality of life than trying to compete with bigger cities.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:58 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I think San Antonio would be more of a front runner for an NFL team actually, but within a few years, it could be ready for MLB. The only thing is that I can't see anywhere getting an MLB team yet.
I think it would be hard for Texas to really support another NFL team. Houston was able to do it because they had previously had the Houston Oilers from 1960-1996, so when the Texans came in 2002, there were already many people in Houston who weren't fans of the Cowboys who needed a new team to follow. The Cowboys have one of the biggest fan bases in the NFL and are so dominant in Texas outside of Houston that it would be hard for a new team to spring up in San Antonio (or Austin) and build a fan base out of people who are already die hard Cowboys fans. It would be like Wisconsin getting another NFL team, or Pittsburgh getting another NFL team. I just can't see it working out.

I had previously stated that I think Austin should get an MLB team, but I think San Antonio could sucessfully support one too. An MLB team in either city could build a pretty big fan base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.