U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 10:16 AM

82 posts, read 133,792 times

Advertisements

Hi i am a single mother of teens and my mom lives with us. I am currently in Md and am looking to find an area that is affordable and safe. Haha I know right? Don't work so don't need to be close to a city. Actually don't go out much at all. My income is limited. looking for something in the 600.00 range. Have been in this area most of my life so am not familiar with a lot of areas. i have been just looking at random places but you still don't know about the area. If anyone has any suggestions on some places to look into I would appreciate it. I would like to buy but can not qualify so that's why I need a rental. Thank you, Steph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 01:11 PM

56,593 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithnolife View Post
Hi i am a single mother of teens and my mom lives with us. I am currently in Md and am looking to find an area that is affordable and safe. Haha I know right? Don't work so don't need to be close to a city. Actually don't go out much at all. My income is limited. looking for something in the 600.00 range. Have been in this area most of my life so am not familiar with a lot of areas. i have been just looking at random places but you still don't know about the area. If anyone has any suggestions on some places to look into I would appreciate it. I would like to buy but can not qualify so that's why I need a rental. Thank you, Steph
What are you looking for in terms of weather, jobs, schools, location, etc.?

Old 12-02-2009, 02:16 PM

2,293 posts, read 5,587,039 times
There's lots of safe great places in Kansas but the job market is horribly slow. If you are on disability, that might be a different story. Try the Kansas forum.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:52 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,713,753 times
A number of smaller towns in northwestern PA, western and central NY have cheap rents without rampant crime. Heck, even Cumberland, MD. Just beware if you do move to a small town, you won't live anonymously, and you won't be welcomed if you bring urban habits and tastes. If a number of others have moed there before you you might be targeted with resentment aimed at the bad apples in the first wave.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
A number of smaller towns in northwestern PA, western and central NY have cheap rents without rampant crime. Heck, even Cumberland, MD. Just beware if you do move to a small town, you won't live anonymously, and you won't be welcomed if you bring urban habits and tastes. If a number of others have moed there before you you might be targeted with resentment aimed at the bad apples in the first wave.
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe smaller cities like Cortland, Ithaca, Geneva, Auburn, Corning, etc. might be perfect. You could possibly find something in bigger areas like Syracuse, Utica-Rome or Rochester too.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:57 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,366,193 times
North Carolina for the most part is affordable and safe, plus your odds of finding a job will be higher than looking in rural places/small rust belt cities in NY or PA.
Living in a place where your children can stay active with community activities and not get into trouble because of a lack of options is a nice perk too.

Example:

Chapel Hill, NC

Home of the University of North Carolina and one of the best public school systems in the country. The city is very walkable and also offers FREE service on its city buses. Its safe, clean and has a great standard of living. Chapel Hill, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The city is lacking in the ghetto/urban flavor that is pervasive in much of the Northeast which you'll find refreshing. Despite the fact its in North Carolina, not country bumpkin, which is a popular misconception. People are very friendly and welcoming of newcomers since most of the town is from somewhere else, mostly because of the University. Jobs are actually somewhat available in the area should you need one. Two bedroom apartments in nice apartment complexes are available at $600 per month or less. You can find three bedroom apartments in well kept up student oriented apartment complexes for less than $600 also. Look on Craigslist. Good luck!

If you have more questions, feel free to ask here. I lived in the Chapel Hill area for 7 years and loved it!
I currently live in Philadelphia and understand what you're trying to get away from.

Last edited by kyle19125; 12-06-2009 at 06:09 AM..

Old 12-06-2009, 07:25 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,063,407 times
http://www.city-data.com/city/Chapel...-Carolina.html

Chapel Hill looks beautiful, but it isn't really affordable. The COL index is nearly at 100.

Since employment isn't a concern, you may want to check out Kansas, like someone already stated. Also look at Missouri, Oklahoma, Neb, etc.

Just choose a city~for instance Muskogee, OK. Google "Muskogee, Ok detailed profile". It'll bring it up like this and the COL will be right above the links that lead you to this forum.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Muskogee-Oklahoma.html

Any time you can find a cost of living index in the 70s or very low 80s, you'll find rent to be in the area you're talking about.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:06 PM

1,915 posts, read 4,607,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe smaller cities like Cortland, Ithaca, Geneva, Auburn, Corning, etc. might be perfect. You could possibly find something in bigger areas like Syracuse, Utica-Rome or Rochester too.
I drove through upstate NY a few years ago, stayed in Utica, and found the Utica-Rome area a disaster in terms of urban blight. Scary to drive around in a lot of areas, in particular the core of Utica. Not sure it would be considered a safe city to live in.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I drove through upstate NY a few years ago, stayed in Utica, and found the Utica-Rome area a disaster in terms of urban blight. Scary to drive around in a lot of areas, in particular the core of Utica. Not sure it would be considered a safe city to live in.
It depends on where in Utica. You are probably referring to the Cornhill section, which looks like it could use more care and lighting. Same somewhat with the neighborhood near the brewery and old psych ward. There nice neighborhoods/areas of the city of Utica like North Utica, South Utica and East Utica around Proctor High. It is very nice by the Zoo and Parkway ave. as well. Rome has a few spots where it could be nicer, but for the most part, there isn't anything to worry about with Rome. Besides that, the rest of the area is nice. Especially New Hartford, Clinton, Yorkville and Whitesboro. NY Mills is fine too.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:17 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,713,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I drove through upstate NY a few years ago, stayed in Utica,
That's like going to Oscar Night and staying in Compton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or