Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:58 PM

594 posts, read 1,193,233 times

Advertisements

Is the French taught in U.S. High Schools/Colleges Quebec/Canadian French or Standard France French?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 08:01 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,007,099 times
Je pense qu'il est français standard...

But I could be wrong. Sorry if some of my sentence is wrong...I havent used French in quite a while.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:09 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,441,820 times
It's standard French--I've never personally heard of Quebecois being taught outside of Quebec or Eastern Canada.

Even when I lived in Canada, albeit in Edmonton, Alberta which is in Western Canada, we were mandated in public schools to take standard French, not Quebecois French. The difference between Quebecois French and the French spoken in France is proabably slightly greater than say the difference between American English and British English. I've heard that European French speakers can understand most of Quebecois French when spoken formally, however the accent and slang(a lot of Anglicisms have made their way into the language) can make it difficult to comprehend.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 PM

594 posts, read 1,193,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
It's standard French--I've never personally heard of Quebecois being taught outside of Quebec or Eastern Canada.

Even when I lived in Canada, albeit in Edmonton, Alberta which is in Western Canada, we were mandated in public schools to take standard French, not Quebecois French. The difference between Quebecois French and the French spoken in France is proabably slightly greater than say the difference between American English and British English. I've heard that European French speakers can understand most of Quebecois French when spoken formally, however the accent and slang(a lot of Anglicisms have made their way into the language) can make it difficult to comprehend.
But for example, if I knew good Standard French, and maybe move to Quebec, would I be able to understand their french without problem? Or do I need to take quebec french classes?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,460,981 times
One French woman I knew said she found Quebecois French hard to understand. Although I'd think if you know French it shouldn't be too hard to get Quebecois French.

Anyway yeah so far as I know schools teach France/French.

Old 12-02-2009, 09:20 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,880,968 times
In my high school in Maine, the French that was taught was Standard French, but with many side lessons on Quebecois and "County" French (Many people in the St. John River Valley and elsewhere in Aroostook County, Maine speak a dialect of French that is not textbook French and sometimes not even Quebecois French!).

Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,718,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
In my high school in Maine, the French that was taught was Standard French, but with many side lessons on Quebecois and "County" French (Many people in the St. John River Valley and elsewhere in Aroostook County, Maine speak a dialect of French that is not textbook French and sometimes not even Quebecois French!).
So true! I spent almost 20 years in the County and most of the French speaking people I knew that went over to Quebec City came back and said that they knew how I must have felt when I first moved there. "They were speaking the words and some I knew, some I didn't, I didn't know WTH they were saying over there!" was the general statement. Aroostook County French is a very odd mix of French, Quebecois, English, and "County" rolled into one dialect. Most people will have some English and some French in the same sentence. Get them excited and who knows what is going to come out for words. It could be all French, all English, even a compound word that is spoken half French half English. Whatever language has the word that best fits, is the one used for that word.

Most High Schools teach Standard French in the US though to answer the OP's question.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:05 AM

2,257 posts, read 8,137,138 times
When talking about "standard French," you need to consider grammar and pronunciation separately. Every French teacher in the U.S. is going to teach standard French grammar (which is "standard" across the French-speaking world), but their pronunciation may vary depending on where they're from or where they learned French.

In my experience, the vast majority of French teachers in the U.S. were educated in standard European (Parisian) French and thus imitate Parisian pronunciation. However, there is always a chance that you may have a teacher from Canada or some other part of the French-speaking world with a noticeably different accent, but they usually try to "reduce" it to an extent. After all, the vast majority of the French learning materials used in U.S. curriculums are based on standard European French.

In Quebec, speech varies dramatically by register (i.e. the French spoken in news broadcasts vs. by working class people). If you have only heard European French before, you will struggle at first to understand Canadians and it will take time to adapt. Just imagine if you had only ever studied the Queen's English and then suddenly took a trip to Arkansas. It won't take that long to understand the accent as used on the news, in academic contexts, or by public figures; what's more difficult is learning all the expressions and contractions used by people in everyday life.

A good way to introduce yourself to the Québécois accent is to listen to kids' shows. This is a good site, an archive of radio shows in which kids phone in questions like "Who invented the alphabet?" or "How do geese know where to fly?"

Regardless of whether you're taught French by a European or a Canadian, it's going to take a long time before you can travel to a French-speaking country and understand most of what's being said. Reading will come more quickly for most people, in which case it doesn't matter which accent you've been hearing. If you've only been studying French for several months or so, most of the basic expressions you'll know won't sound that different in France or Canada anyway.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:18 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,829,480 times
I teach a bit of both. I also do some Belgian French (80,90 etc) There's no standard curriculum for French in my district and I think it's useful. When I was in college, my lower level classes were mostly standard with a bit of Quebec/Belgium/etc thrown in... The upper level classes were more specialized. There were two courses about Quebec, taught in french, and taught by a québécois.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:01 PM

92,088 posts, read 122,294,404 times
At my high school, it was standard French.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.