U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2009, 09:58 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,997 times
Reputation: 35

Advertisements

I dont understand what is SO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THIS.

94.5% of the population in Atlanta is black or white. Therefore, it leaves 5.5% for ALL populations, which include : Chinese, Japanese, filipino, mexican, native american and korean, among others. Therefore, it lacks a Asian and Hispanic community.

 
Old 12-02-2009, 09:59 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,997 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
LOL! Don't assume anything about anyone.

I've lived in Atlanta most of my life, but spent just about every summer as a kid in June and July in Queens.

I also spent three years living/working abroad split between Tokyo, Mumbai, Manila...with plenty of stops in between.

Maybe you should take your blinders off and stop trying to prove how un-diverse Atlanta is just because you can read numbers off a web page.
It shows in your post.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 10:02 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,513,099 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
I dont understand what is SO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND ABOUT THIS.

94.5% of the population in Atlanta is black or white. Therefore, it leaves 5.5% for ALL populations, which include : Chinese, Japanese, filipino, mexican, native american and korean, among others. Therefore, it lacks a Asian and Hispanic community.
I think it's downright insulting that you aren't even taking my and waronxmas' posts seriously. Read what we have written, think about it, ask us to clarify anything you don't understand, and then make your comments. You cannot, in good faith, make the proposition that Atlanta "lacks... Asian and Hispanic communit[ies]" after having read the statistics that were just posted. You seem to be flat out ignoring them in favor of giving your conceived notion of Atlanta's demographics.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 10:15 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,183,046 times
Reputation: 5707
More recent data from 2008

Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Marietta, GA Metro Area - ACS Demographic and Housing Estimates: 2006-2008

Race alone or in combination with one or more other races

Total population

5,251,899

White

3,120,271

Black or African American

1,669,313

American Indian and Alaska Native

33,307

Asian

234,922

Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander

Some other race

265,558

HISPANIC OR LATINO AND RACE

487,984

Foreign-born population, excluding population born at sea

674,422

Keep in mind these are just estimates, so the numbers will change greatly after next year's census, and not everyone answers ethnic related questions on surveys.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 10:16 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,997 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I think it's downright insulting that you aren't even taking my and waronxmas' posts seriously. Read what we have written, think about it, ask us to clarify anything you don't understand, and then make your comments. You cannot, in good faith, make the proposition that Atlanta "lacks... Asian and Hispanic communit[ies]" after having read the statistics that were just posted. You seem to be flat out ignoring them in favor of giving your conceived notion of Atlanta's demographics.
I have been to Atlanta. I saw very few Hispanics and Asians.

I visit Atlanta on a regular basis, way over 10 times.

Therefore, the statistics just back up what I thought from visiting in person.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 10:18 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,183,046 times
Reputation: 5707
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
I have been to Atlanta. I saw very few Hispanics and Asians.

I visit Atlanta on a regular basis, way over 10 times.

Therefore, the statistics just back up what I thought from visiting in person.
Ok, I don't usually like to do this, but I'm gonna call you bluff on this. Where exactly in Atlanta did you visit?
 
Old 12-02-2009, 10:21 PM
 
183 posts, read 183,273 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
You know when people say things like that, it's like they don't expect to go to cities and find people of different nationalities and ethnicities. There are plenty of cities that have more diversity on a larger scale, but that doesn't mean that other cities are slouching.

This is what we were trying to tell the NY guy but he fails to listen
 
Old 12-02-2009, 10:21 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,997 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Ok, I don't usually like to do this, but I'm gonna call you bluff on this. Where exactly in Atlanta did you visit?
I have been everywhere. All over Atlanta.

Been to a Falcons game, Hawks game, Braves and Thrashers game.

Went out in Buckhead for nightlife. Went to the Hard Rock Cafe. Shopped at Lenox and I believe Phillips or Phips (spelling) malls. Also, ate at tons of restaruants.

Trust me, I have been all over that city. I use to live in the Southeast and my companies headquarters was there. I lived there during my training when my company hired me for 8 weeks. I know the area.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 10:23 PM
 
183 posts, read 183,273 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
^ The city of Atlanta is 94.5% black and white. What is hard for people to understand about it?

: smack::s mack:

he keeps talking about city limits instead of the entire metro
 
Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,513,099 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
I have been to Atlanta. I saw very few Hispanics and Asians.

I visit Atlanta on a regular basis, way over 10 times.

Therefore, the statistics just back up what I thought from visiting in person.
Asian: 234,922

Hispanic or Latino (of any race): 487,984

How on earth do the above statistics back up your experience? I believe you that you didn't see many Asians and that you didn't think you saw many "Hispanics" (though many of the white and some of the black people you saw could have been), but you could have visited a part of town that doesn't have a high concentration of those groups. The statistics tell it like it is. Next time you visit Atlanta, drive down Buford Highway and your experience will be very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top