U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2009, 07:56 PM
 
183 posts, read 183,043 times
Reputation: 50

Advertisements

There is a long arguement that Atlanta is not Diverse in the entire metro. People seem too think that Atlanta is only black and white because we dont have chinatowns like the old northeastern citys and this is from people that dont even live day to day in Atlanta No we dont have those kinda things But does that make Atlanta not diverse??/ We have ethnic corridors here. I just want everyones opinion on this topic. I also found and article I want you guys to read and look at too concern diversity and ethnic areas in ATLANTA!!! THANKS



International Atlanta | Article from KNowAtlanta Magazine

 
Old 12-02-2009, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Spain
1,855 posts, read 4,290,151 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
There is a long arguement that Atlanta is not Diverse in the entire metro. People seem too think that Atlanta is only black and white because we dont have chinatowns like the old northeastern citys and this is from people that dont even live day to day in Atlanta No we dont have those kinda things But does that make Atlanta not diverse??/ We have ethnic corridors here. I just want everyones opinion on this topic. I also found and article I want you guys to read and look at too concern diversity and ethnic areas in ATLANTA!!! THANKS



International Atlanta | Article from KNowAtlanta Magazine
Atlanta is probably about as diverse as one would expect a metro of its size to be. It's definitely below New York and Los Angeles (and Houston), but I don't think it's appropriate to call Atlanta "black and white".
 
Old 12-02-2009, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in the universe
2,161 posts, read 3,989,785 times
Reputation: 1434
I think that anyone who thinks that any major city is composed of only one or two ethnic backgrounds really needs to take a trip around the country.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 08:52 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,858 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I think that anyone who thinks that any major city is composed of only one or two ethnic backgrounds really needs to take a trip around the country.
Then explain why 94.5% of their city population is black or white. It only leaves 5.5% open to all other ethnicities.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 08:55 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,172,167 times
Reputation: 5697
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
Then explain why 94.5% of their city population is black or white. It only leaves 5.5% open to all other ethnicities.
What happened to you "staying out of this"
 
Old 12-02-2009, 08:58 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,172,167 times
Reputation: 5697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I think that anyone who thinks that any major city is composed of only one or two ethnic backgrounds really needs to take a trip around the country.
You are right. There isn't any major city in the country where it's just one particular group of people and don't have a diverse set of persons from other cultures/countries/ethnicities.

Too often people get caught up in raw numerical numbers and places like a "Chinatown" to prove how diverse a place is. Attention people: That's not what makes a city diverse.

If you want to see a non-diverse city, go to any major city in Asia, Africa (outside South Africa) or eastern Europe. Now that is non-diverse
 
Old 12-02-2009, 08:59 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,858 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
What happened to you "staying out of this"
I will. I just want people to know the facts about the population for the ethnciiteis in the city of Atlanta. After that is posted then I won't post.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in the universe
2,161 posts, read 3,989,785 times
Reputation: 1434
You know when people say things like that, it's like they don't expect to go to cities and find people of different nationalities and ethnicities. There are plenty of cities that have more diversity on a larger scale, but that doesn't mean that other cities are slouching.
 
Old 12-02-2009, 09:09 PM
 
Location: The Greatest city on Earth: City of Atlanta Proper
7,909 posts, read 12,172,167 times
Reputation: 5697
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
Then explain why 94.5% of their city population is black or white. It only leaves 5.5% open to all other ethnicities.
Again, you are looking just at the city. This is the real deal from the 2003 census estimate (WOEFULLY out of date):

ACS: 2003 ACS Tabular Profile for Atlanta, GA MSA -- Table 1 (http://www.census.gov/acs/www/Products/Profiles/Single/2003/ACS/Tabular/380/38000US05201.htm - broken link)

RACE
One race
4,341,636
White
2,759,037
Black or African American
1,283,613
American Indian and Alaska Native
9,947
Asian
169,272
Asian Indian
55,100
Chinese (except Taiwanese)
29,897
Filipino
12,716
Japanese
5,303
Korean
33,663
Vietnamese
41,018
Other Asian
32,444
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander
15,171
Some other race
155,451
Two or more races
60,700
Two races including Some other race
12,254
Two races excluding Some other race, and Three or more races
51,535
Hispanic or Latino (of any race)
347,768

REGION OF BIRTH OF FOREIGN BORN
Foreign-born population with region of birth reported
534,937
Europe
71,792
Asia
144,643
Africa
50,697
Oceania
2,602
Latin America
276,378
Northern America
12,301
 
Old 12-02-2009, 09:17 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,858 times
Reputation: 35
^ The city of Atlanta is 94.5% black and white. What is hard for people to understand about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top