U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 12:29 PM

47 posts, read 188,479 times

Advertisements

Bloomington, Indiana is the first city that crossed my mind. There are four seasons, with spring beginning in March, summer heat strating in May and it is in the 60's-70's until November. But, it does not fit your criteria of being in the mountains, you will find hills. They also do not get a lot of snow, you will get cold winters with about 10-15 inches of snow total. What you will get is the extreme weather in the spring. LOTS of thunderstorms and tornado warnings. Inidiana University has a beautiful campus filled with large limestone buildings, and as college towns tend to be, a pretty liberal town.

I also thought of Amherst, MA which has University of Massachusetts Amherst, Amherst College and Hampshire College. Amherst is situated in the mountains of Mass. You will have 4 distinct seasons, lots of snow. Amherst is a beautiful town that also has a pretty large artist community. It reminds me a lot of Burlington VT. Like all of New England, it can get hot and muggy in the summer, with a couple weeks of weather in the 90's, but avg. temps in typically in the 80's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 03:02 AM

29 posts, read 79,858 times
University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin. Large University, plenty of snow and it's the State Capitol. I lived in Madison and loved it (except for the snowy winters). However, it appears you are looking for snow. Madison is only 90 miles from Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.