U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City for Well-Educated Singles (24-30)
Atlanta 14 14.58%
Washington, DC 30 31.25%
Charlotte 8 8.33%
Raleigh 6 6.25%
Miami 3 3.13%
San Diego 10 10.42%
Austin 16 16.67%
Nashville 4 4.17%
Phoenix 2 2.08%
Las Vegas 3 3.13%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 10,340 times

Advertisements

fair questions, I guess by well-educated I just mean not a complete bimbo- if anything, I think it entails maturity more than a certain education level. Most importantly, I want to be somewhere that women admire education. I know in Boston, a man's education was a huge draw to women, whereas here in Miami, they'd rather have a lotto-winner with a nice BMW than a doctor or a PhD.

As for what makes a city "best for singles," I just mean that a large number of single women in that age group exist, are accessible (through nightlife, clubs, church, etc.), and the scene of the city is very 20's-30's oriented.

Rawlins, Denver sounds like an amazing city and a lot of what I am looking for. I just have a few concerns that made me not include it on my list:
(1) the weather seems too cold for a Florida boy
(2) I love trees and lush vegetation and I'm worried that I would find things too sparse out west
(3) Most of my family is on the East Coast, I have some friends on the West Coast, Denver is by far the city (that I've considered) farthest from anyone I know (closest is in San Francisco). I like to be able to drive to see at least someone
(4) most importantly, from what I know of the Denver legal market, its very small for such a large city, and they are very insular since so many people want to go to Denver. If you want an attorney position in Denver, I've heard you better have ties to the area.

BUT, despite all these obstacles, I've still considered Denver because it sounds all-around so awesome. I'm hoping a city in the South has a similar mixture of well-educated but also Christian people. I know in Boston, if you were well-educated it almost automatically meant you were liberal and secular (probably the same as Seattle). However, I've met a ton of graduate students from Atlanta who are still very strong Christians, despite their extensive worldly knowledge. Don't know why this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 02:14 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,036,636 times
in my experience, the bmw would get you much further in denver than the phd. actually, the doctorate could be a significant liability without the bmw, it seems - material seems to far outweigh intellect here relative to a boston, like you say. there are not so many available women in denver - male/female ratio higher than 1 by more than most cities it's size. it's a crowd that loves to go skiing and to watch "the team" at the sports bar, or to go to church, by and large.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:19 PM

353 posts, read 378,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fljake View Post
fair questions, I guess by well-educated I just mean not a complete bimbo- if anything, I think it entails maturity more than a certain education level. Most importantly, I want to be somewhere that women admire education. I know in Boston, a man's education was a huge draw to women, whereas here in Miami, they'd rather have a lotto-winner with a nice BMW than a doctor or a PhD.

As for what makes a city "best for singles," I just mean that a large number of single women in that age group exist, are accessible (through nightlife, clubs, church, etc.), and the scene of the city is very 20's-30's oriented.

Rawlins, Denver sounds like an amazing city and a lot of what I am looking for. I just have a few concerns that made me not include it on my list:
(1) the weather seems too cold for a Florida boy
(2) I love trees and lush vegetation and I'm worried that I would find things too sparse out west
(3) Most of my family is on the East Coast, I have some friends on the West Coast, Denver is by far the city (that I've considered) farthest from anyone I know (closest is in San Francisco). I like to be able to drive to see at least someone
(4) most importantly, from what I know of the Denver legal market, its very small for such a large city, and they are very insular since so many people want to go to Denver. If you want an attorney position in Denver, I've heard you better have ties to the area.

BUT, despite all these obstacles, I've still considered Denver because it sounds all-around so awesome. I'm hoping a city in the South has a similar mixture of well-educated but also Christian people. I know in Boston, if you were well-educated it almost automatically meant you were liberal and secular (probably the same as Seattle). However, I've met a ton of graduate students from Atlanta who are still very strong Christians, despite their extensive worldly knowledge. Don't know why this is.
Whew! Well, if you don't pick Denver Atlanta is your best choice by far.

Let me answer your concerns about Denver one by one...

1. The weather is cold in the winter. I won't lie. It's snows A LOT. But there's no humidity and bitter cold weather rarely sticks around for very long. You'll get a few days of weather in the 20s and 30s (a dry, liveable cold) and then it'll push back up into the 50s. Plus, it's always sunny so the cold isn't THAT bad. You can deal with it, anyway.

2.) Foliage is very sparse. You're right. But it isn't Vegas or Phoenix. We do have tree-lined suburbs and green lawns. Wintertime is very brown and for a Florida guy it can be a little weird. But come Spring everything blossoms and--like right now--it's very green.

3.) Denver is, as you suggest, isolated geographically. True. That's one of the toughest things to adjust to. But you're also right in the middle of the country and you're no more than 2.5 hours from anywhere in the country. You'll need to be familiar with the airport, for sure.

4.) Denver is very much about who you know and it tends to be kind of reserved. With that said, you can still get a fine job in the law with your merits. There are LOTS of law jobs here--though you may have to spend a little more time than someone "in the know," I think you'll be able to find the job you're looking for.

Those are all obvious negatives but don't forget about the positives. Denver is a great city for CHRISTIAN singles. It's pretty lame for your stereotpyical promiscuous, partying single--but if you're a serious Christian that leans to the right politically Denver is absolutely your kind of town. There are a bunch of terrific churches in the area, great neigborhoods, and great Christian girls.

http://www.chcc.org/display_page.asp?site_id=1 (broken link)

You also might want to think about Colorado Springs which is like a smaller version of Denver. Denver is a very educated, yuppie, young city but it is also VERY marriage, family, and faith oriented. Those are the things that people really care about and there's a definite pressure to be your run of the mill church-attending family man. That's a very reassuring social pressure, IMHO.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:35 PM

283 posts, read 1,258,675 times
I like Chicago. Chicago should be up there. It has great nightlife great people and to me. Chicago is as exciting as it gets. Plus the best looking brunettes in all of America. Are right here in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. TRust me especially in the Northwest suburbs.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:21 PM

70 posts, read 296,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexi-in-Arlington-Heights View Post
I like Chicago. Chicago should be up there. It has great nightlife great people and to me. Chicago is as exciting as it gets. Plus the best looking brunettes in all of America. Are right here in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs. TRust me especially in the Northwest suburbs.
Chicago is way too cold for me. And not close to any outdoor recreation. And I'm always suspicious of posts that are so grammatically incorrect.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:13 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,299,643 times
Chicago is good for guys....bad for women

but by the way...most girls really do appreciate an educated guy. If you find one that doesn't she's just not the girl for you.

True, southern women get married younger (I think). I know in the upper mid-west they do too. Chicago a lot of us wait a bit longer.....but the ratio favors the men. If you could hanlde the cold I think chicago would be a good one for you.

I'm an educated, 30 year old single woman looking to get out!! One of the reasons is that I feel Denver or SF would be better for me (both personal preferences....and because of the ratio but I am looking west in general....

I dont know about Atlanta...but I would think girls get married young there too. Truly, I think you wont have much of a problem anywhere. Theres going to be great girls everywhere, and someone a little older will appreciate you (I mean, older in Atlanta might be 25, I dont know). Just sayin, I dont think your education will ever be a liability...

Old 05-19-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silviodante View Post
Chicago is way too cold for me. And not close to any outdoor recreation. And I'm always suspicious of posts that are so grammatically incorrect.
Well that would be because I am a mexican

Seriously though if you were to drive outward towards Galena. You would have some nice open space, there is Moraine Hills that isn't too bad for biking. Trust me the Chicago is better than Denver. What makes a city great is the number of people it has and the diversity. At least too me it does.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
Chicago is good for guys....bad for women
Why is it bad for the women?

Old 05-19-2007, 10:24 PM

3,455 posts, read 7,299,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexi-in-Arlington-Heights View Post
Why is it bad for the women?
hard to put into words here....but the major reason is just the ratio. There are more available single women of a certain age, than there are men. So its just a natural thing that tends to work itself out...in the guy's favor.

I personally....just seem to have found that I dont have a lot in common with whats left of the single guys in chicago....it seems like they are either all into sports, all into money, or all into art. I know that is a huge generalization (why I didn't want to go there) but give a girl a break....I'm blamin the ratio....but truly think that maybe the guys I have more in common with have already left to head west or south if they are not married yet. I tend to like the outdoorsy/rugged type (but a Phd is totally a bonus)

Old 05-20-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
hard to put into words here....but the major reason is just the ratio. There are more available single women of a certain age, than there are men. So its just a natural thing that tends to work itself out...in the guy's favor.

I personally....just seem to have found that I dont have a lot in common with whats left of the single guys in chicago....it seems like they are either all into sports, all into money, or all into art. I know that is a huge generalization (why I didn't want to go there) but give a girl a break....I'm blamin the ratio....but truly think that maybe the guys I have more in common with have already left to head west or south if they are not married yet. I tend to like the outdoorsy/rugged type (but a Phd is totally a bonus)
Ah you are in luck. I love the outdoors....but I am still in college majoring in accounting. Which might take me awhile. But after that I plan on staying in Chicago. And I do agree with you on the fact that it's really hard to find a person who likes the outdoors. I don't mean like going to yellowstone and only staying on the roads and consider that exploring the outdoors. Which that oddly enough was a family trip. I mean going out where their is no human in sight but only nature and you. Now that is what I like + stargazing and watching movies.

But nvm you're not in luck.

Last edited by Mexi-in-Arlington-Heights; 05-20-2007 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: forgot something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or