Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City for Well-Educated Singles (24-30)
Atlanta 14 14.58%
Washington, DC 30 31.25%
Charlotte 8 8.33%
Raleigh 6 6.25%
Miami 3 3.13%
San Diego 10 10.42%
Austin 16 16.67%
Nashville 4 4.17%
Phoenix 2 2.08%
Las Vegas 3 3.13%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:05 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgb123 View Post
hard to put into words here....but the major reason is just the ratio. There are more available single women of a certain age, than there are men. So its just a natural thing that tends to work itself out...in the guy's favor.

I personally....just seem to have found that I dont have a lot in common with whats left of the single guys in chicago....it seems like they are either all into sports, all into money, or all into art. I know that is a huge generalization (why I didn't want to go there) but give a girl a break....I'm blamin the ratio....but truly think that maybe the guys I have more in common with have already left to head west or south if they are not married yet. I tend to like the outdoorsy/rugged type (but a Phd is totally a bonus)
yes. come to denver. you'll love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 02:06 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Thumbs up Washington!

... although I'm biased as a recent transplant. I'm no longer single but there are tons of single twentysomethings here due to the job market. However, you do get all four seasons here. If you prefer a short winter, I would suggest Atlanta (based on personal visits) and Austin (mostly based on hearsay from right here on City Data ). All three appear to be at least moderately progressive liberal cities but I'll let the OP be the judge on how important that is to him.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:25 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,004 times
if you ever get a chance and feel inclined, take a look at this:

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet...rvlet?_lang=en

some of the numbers here seem to explain a bit (inluding your excitement over the dc singles situation, in part)

Old 05-23-2007, 02:08 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,243,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Problem with Seattle is that it's really a pretty secular city. You'll find lots of young single folks but most of them will be into lifestyles and values that don't always jive with traditional Christianity.

That's why I mentioned Denver as a good choice. Denver is sort of a conservative, religious version of Seattle. If you're single, Christian, looking for marriage Denver is a better place to go because it is more marriage-oriented and there are fantastic Christian communities.

With that said, even in the most liberal cities if you find a good church and sort of put yourself out there, get connected, etc then you're likely to find a spouse with good values--even in Seattle.
Do you mean most are gay and lesbian? I can guarantee you most single Seattleites are not gay and lesbian.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:59 PM

353 posts, read 503,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Do you mean most are gay and lesbian? I can guarantee you most single Seattleites are not gay and lesbian.
Ha! No, I didn't mean to insinuate that. I know that Seattle has a very vibrant, growing gay community--larger than Denver's, to be sure--but I'm well aware that most people in Seattle are not gay. Liberal? Yes. Gay? Probably not. lol.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:58 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,461,528 times
DC if you dont count the COL

I like Atlanta, but Im a bit wary of how the Thug culture seems to be taking over.

horrible commutes too!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 PM

24 posts, read 72,690 times
Default beware of seattle

Seattle is a tough market for singles. People who relocate here are constantly complaining about how remote and difficult to "get to know" people are - both females and males.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:43 PM

77 posts, read 271,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanjr23 View Post
Its the same here in wisconsin. People get married so young,maybe its because of lack of things to do or is it a midwest thing.

There's plenty to do wherever you are.

That being said..... yeah. lack of things to do.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:05 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,920,195 times
Austin has an amazing job market right now. It's truly booming. There are lots of young professionals. Aside from that, it's a really vibrant and alive city. I visited in the summer and loved it.

I find it funny that Vegas is on your list. There are tons of people in your age range here, but the vast majority are really into the club scene. If you're into that, this place is a gold mine. If not, you probably won't have much luck.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:07 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,575,260 times
I would have thought the research triangle would get more votes in the poll?
The demographics suggest that area of NC has a younger population than the national average with a relatively low percentage of the population over age 65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.