Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best City for Well-Educated Singles (24-30)
Atlanta 14 14.58%
Washington, DC 30 31.25%
Charlotte 8 8.33%
Raleigh 6 6.25%
Miami 3 3.13%
San Diego 10 10.42%
Austin 16 16.67%
Nashville 4 4.17%
Phoenix 2 2.08%
Las Vegas 3 3.13%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 11,430 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating from law school soon, and am looking for a place to settle down. Being still single, a place where I can meet single women is a very important factor. Because of career aspirations, I need to be in a relatively large city. Also, I can't stand the extreme cold (from Florida), so the Northeast and Midwest are out.

I am not only looking for a place where the number of single females is greatest. I am also looking for a place where girls are still single in the 24-30 age range, but also are (1) relatively well-educated, (2) Christian or at least generally moral in character, (3) not gold-diggers (as a future attorney, I'm going to have to do my best to avoid these).

So, I know a place like Miami has tons of single females my age, but I feel like it would be hard to find a well-educated one who values a man's intellect, ambition, etc. more than his clothes/car.

On the other extreme, I know smaller places, especially in the South, women that match my criteria either (1) get married real young or (2) prefer a more all-American, military type guy to a very well educated one (I need to maximize my assets).

So, what do you think would be the best place to meet quality single women interested in quality single men in the 24-30 range? Any personal experience is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 07:30 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,626,112 times
Atlanta would be a good city to check out. Many large companies have relocated there and Atlanta has a great singles scene as well as a great place to raise a family. The cost of living is low and the job market is booming. Plus you have a great downtown area and Atlanta has some top-notch suburbs. I really don't see many negatives about relocating there.

My second choice would've been D.C. but it has a rather high cost-of-living and doesn't have as nice of weather as Atlanta.

Old 05-17-2007, 10:41 PM

353 posts, read 499,581 times
I voted Atlanta--I've heard lots of really good things about it.

But if I were to recommend a city for you I'd say Denver. Denver has one of the highest educated populations around, has been rated a good city for singles, and is very Christian/family values in character (I mean, after all, Focus on the Family doesn't park themselves just south of Denver for no reason!). I mean, the great thing about Denver is that it is great for singles and Christians/values-minded folks. Typically, a great singles city is like NYC or LA where it's totally gauche to be a person of faith. But Denver's got mountains in the background, a vibrant cultural scene, and lots of stuff to do on dates--YET, the Denver community is centered around faith and family-formation. I'd seriously consider it if I were you.

I'm a young guy--20s, evangelical, and married--and I find Denver is just splendid. It's a perfect fit. I know LOTS of Christian singles here and in Colorado Springs and they're getting hitched all the time. I assume you're looking for marriage and Colorado seems to be fairly marriage-minded so I'd check it out.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:22 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,805 times
I didn't see Seattle.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:42 PM

373 posts, read 1,847,059 times
I agree about Seattle. Seattle is a highly educated city with lots of young people. Folks tend to get married later there, anecdotally speaking. However, it is not a city that imposes religion or moral absolutes on folks, so you'd have to meet people on an individual basis to assess their religiousness. I don't think you can stereotype religion in Seattle.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:05 PM

Are you saying that you DON'T want people who marry young? I find that people in the south and west--at least in Colorado--do in fact marry quite young. There's a lot of reasons for that, of course, but it's the way it is. Still, there are plenty of decent women out there no matter what state you live in.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:46 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,175,992 times
Definately Seattle. More highly educated singles than most other major cities. I believe it has more singles than any other major city except San Francisco.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:53 AM

12 posts, read 14,264 times
Its the same here in wisconsin. People get married so young,maybe its because of lack of things to do or is it a midwest thing.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:45 AM

Problem with Seattle is that it's really a pretty secular city. You'll find lots of young single folks but most of them will be into lifestyles and values that don't always jive with traditional Christianity.

That's why I mentioned Denver as a good choice. Denver is sort of a conservative, religious version of Seattle. If you're single, Christian, looking for marriage Denver is a better place to go because it is more marriage-oriented and there are fantastic Christian communities.

With that said, even in the most liberal cities if you find a good church and sort of put yourself out there, get connected, etc then you're likely to find a spouse with good values--even in Seattle.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:52 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,279,535 times
what's "well educated"? a college degree? seems too vague - a college degree, e.g., can mean someone makes better informed decisions with curiosities and more exposure, or that they went on an all expense paid vacation for 4 or so years, got drunk lots and love football more now.

what's "good for singles"? variety in available people? lots of cheezy bars to try to hook up from?

by the way, denver is not necessarily "good for singles" or necessarily full of "well educated people". it's a relatively uniform crowd, with plenty of people that may have degrees but might not be very "well educated", and male heavy. if you can get into the crowd and deal with the male bias, it might be ok, but not much to turn to relatively if those don't fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.