U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2009, 03:04 PM
 
4,925 posts, read 9,786,207 times
Reputation: 3268

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Articles like this are always full of gibberish, but this might take the cake.

"Greater concentration of PhDs than it does Baptist churches?" What does that even mean? More PhDs than Baptist churches? A bunch of PhDs living together on one block? How is PhDs per Baptist church or vice versa a remotely relevant statistic?

Gibberish.
Literary license, not gibberish. Relax--just playing upon the perception of Alabama being thick with Baptist churches.

Huntsville isn't a surprise to those in tech, defense and aerospace industries.

When you're here, don't apply stereotypical assumptions to the guy with a chew in the beat up pickup with a gun rack in the window...good odds it IS a rocket scientist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2009, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,677,591 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
From the page on Huntsville: "You should probably leave the rocket scientist jokes at home when visiting Huntsville, Ala. The chances are good (1 in 12, in fact) you’ll meet one here. In a state beset with educational challenges, this mid-size city (pop. 396,000) is an anomaly, a figurative brain soup where intellectual capital is a commodity..."

You're right, it could have been explained further. But do the other places you mention have 1 in 12 rocket scientists? Highly doubtful. Also San Jose and Portland have expensive housing, and the high costs and tax structure aren't the most business-friendly. And I think Austin has already seen its heyday and is now dealing with insufficient infrastructure problems, and possibly a housing shortage within a few years.
San Jose and the Silicon Valley will be the center of the IT field for a long time and although the may not have that many rocket scientist, they have their share fair of doctorates and intellectual who have and will continue to change the world (Google, Apple, etc.). But I kind of hinted this before, but I guess it would be kind of a boring article to list two tech hubs on the West Coast would be kind of boring.

As for Austin, it seems like people have been complaining about infrastructure problems sense I can remember and it hasn't stopped the rapid growth. I do know you can find a large number of people with PhD's in Austin. I know they had a thread on the Austin forum describing Austin as "Hi, I'm Dr. Michaels, and I'll be your waiter the evening..." or in other words, there are a lot of over educated people living in Austin. haha! It's a pretty funny thread. I'll post a link.
Hi, I'm Dr. Michaels, and I'll be your Waiter this evening...

But, Austin is in Texas (like Houston), and I think they're going to write about two Texas cities.

Either way, I realize that Huntsville has a bright future, but I don't think the article did a good job on why it was chosen over many other cities, not just San Jose, Portland, and Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 AM
 
4,925 posts, read 9,786,207 times
Reputation: 3268
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Either way, I realize that Huntsville has a bright future, but I don't think the article did a good job on why it was chosen over many other cities, not just San Jose, Portland, and Austin.
I have lived in the San Jose area, and in Oregon and now near Huntsville...I think it may be because Huntsville seems to be a little more diversified than those other places. Not just IT, but NASA. Army missile defense headquarters. Untold numbers of defense contractors. Aeronautical research. Avionic reasearch. Meterological research. Second largest research park in the nation. A rapidly developing bio-medical technology and research center.

Perhaps another reason for the listing is that the Huntsville economy hasn't been hit like much of the rest of the nation and as such is positioned better to take off. For much of the last couple of years, Huntsville has been named by various publications, surveys, etc., as the #1 (or within the top 10) economy for this or that. Building is still continuing and housing values haven't taken the hit that much of the nation has.

If you are a techie, Huntsville is a good place for work. If you're not a techie, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2009, 08:22 AM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,819,735 times
Reputation: 11141
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Huntsville has been discovered by the Indian diaspora, full stop. Enough said. Buy now, thank me later.
Huntsville reminds me of the Research Triangle area of NC 30 years ago (size). At that time, most would have laughed at the prospects of the Raleigh area. Not too many are laughing now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2009, 09:31 AM
 
Location: NC, USA
7,088 posts, read 13,051,388 times
Reputation: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
"Houston became the No. 1 municipal purchaser of green power in the nation, with 25 percent of the city’s total electricity load coming from wind energy. (Texas leads the US in wind-energy production.)"

Who would have thought.
LOL, this isn't too surprising, Texas is well known for producing a lot of wind. It's about time they put it to good use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,677,591 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I have lived in the San Jose area, and in Oregon and now near Huntsville...I think it may be because Huntsville seems to be a little more diversified than those other places. Not just IT, but NASA. Army missile defense headquarters. Untold numbers of defense contractors. Aeronautical research. Avionic reasearch. Meterological research. Second largest research park in the nation. A rapidly developing bio-medical technology and research center.

Perhaps another reason for the listing is that the Huntsville economy hasn't been hit like much of the rest of the nation and as such is positioned better to take off. For much of the last couple of years, Huntsville has been named by various publications, surveys, etc., as the #1 (or within the top 10) economy for this or that. Building is still continuing and housing values haven't taken the hit that much of the nation has.

If you are a techie, Huntsville is a good place for work. If you're not a techie, not so much.
That makes sense I suppose. It doesn't sound like a very diverse economy, but I guess a town that size doesn't need one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2009, 11:41 AM
 
4,925 posts, read 9,786,207 times
Reputation: 3268
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
That makes sense I suppose. It doesn't sound like a very diverse economy, but I guess a town that size doesn't need one.
Well, I TRY to make sense, not always successfully!

I guess it's diverse in that their money streams come from not just gov't or not just private sources. It also thus far has been successful in the sense that generally when democrats are in office, the defense budget gets cut that the NASA budget has increased...this may be coming to an end.

However, the med/tech portion has been a nice addition over the last 10 years or so. ANY town, regardless of size needs a diversified economy...they don't always have one, but they need it!

Last edited by skinem; 12-08-2009 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2009, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,677,591 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Well, I TRY to make sense, not always successfully!

I guess it's diverse in that their money streams come from not just gov't or not just private sources. It also thus far has been successful in the sense that generally when democrats are in office, the defense budget gets cut that the NASA budget has increased...this may be coming to an end.

However, the med/tech portion has been a nice addition over the last 10 years or so. ANY town, regardless of size needs a diversified economy...they don't always have one, but they need it!
Med as in medical? I haven't read/heard anything about a medical industry in Huntsville, but that would be a very good industry for the city to invest in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2009, 01:24 PM
 
12,825 posts, read 20,157,976 times
Reputation: 10910
The SF Bay Area is in a secular structural decline (not unlike most of urban California) and neither biotech nor so called "green jobs" will ever substitute for the highly energetic high tech industry combined with old smoke stack industries that fueled progress here during the period 1950 - 1990. That was the Golden Age and it's gone forever. Many are in denial about it. But look realistically what's left of high tech. No way do a smattering of software companies, a few niche "storefronts" outsourcing HW design to China, and, a would be "green" car company (producing mere dozens per year) equal what was here 20 or 25 years ago. Sell now, thank me later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top