U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 10:33 AM

37 posts, read 72,586 times

Advertisements

We're feeling adventurous and are considering moving anywhere but here (here being Orlando, FL). We're both city folk looking to get back to the urban lifestyle... museums, great restaurants, walkability etc... So.... tell me about your big city.... the population density, demographics (and race relations), night life, public transportation, traffic, jobs/industries, friendliness, school system etc.... anything that makes your city terrific or perhaps not so terrific.

Thanks! I'll look forward to reading these
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 11:10 AM

1,034 posts, read 3,874,022 times
I am a California native who moved to Phoenix, AZ in 2004. I wasn't one of the many who bought homes or investment properties and then left after the first summer. I really like AZ and all it has to offer. Phoenix is a large city. My commute to downtown is about 15 miles. Coming from California, I think everyone here is fairly friendly. I especially notice this at my grocery store where everyone says hi. I think the restaurants in Phoenix and surrounding areas are supberb. Especially the mom and pop places. My husband and I rarely eat at chain restaurants unless it is a quick stop at In-N-Out Burger or something. Road trips are simple. Sedona, Prescott, Flagstaff, Payson, Jerome, Tuscon, are all within a few hours or less. I work in health care so my job has been secure but I do know several people currently out of work and struggling. Housing prices have fallen considerably, but I prefer to rent. I'd say the population is somewhat diverse, but not as diverse as past studies show. Many AZ Hispanics relocated to other states when we enacted the employer's sanction law to fine any company who hires illegals. The weather is a challenge for many. Summers can easily surpass 115 degrees F and while many say, "it is a dry heat", that isn't always true. The monsoon season brings high humidity with the heat and can last for the better part of the summer. Winters can be cold. Last night was about 40 degrees F with a high expected today of 50 degrees. Mild compared to the mid-west but cold for sun-loving Arizonans. The sun shines almost daily which I love.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:53 PM

37 posts, read 72,586 times
so uh... how does someone delete a thread they started or is that not possible?

Old 12-09-2009, 10:11 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,253,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B2O2C View Post
so uh... how does someone delete a thread they started or is that not possible?
Send a request via a moderator by direct mail and tell us what you'd like to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.