U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 01:01 PM

9 posts, read 16,205 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to visit your nation for sometime now, but I don't know which state to visit, Im a student and I'm still quite young so it probably wont be for a good few years yet, although I hope to do it when I'm about 23 Anyway I'm looking for a state that matches up to these more or less....

I like the wilderness, camping, mountain climbing, swimming and generally just being outdoors I would like it to be warm and sunny because were I am from you dont get much sun lol

I wont be travelling alone my friends will be coming with me I would like to spend sometime in the USA, Do I need a visa, Im from the UK, I dont want to emigrate as I would miss my home lol but anyway if you have any suggestions thanks and if you need to know any more just ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 06:18 PM

9 posts, read 16,205 times
No one have any ideas? I was told to ask here, this is the reason I joined this site

Last edited by Seany Boy; 12-09-2009 at 06:35 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 06:33 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,325,910 times
I think your best bet would be to visit California. There are several great cities to visit, good weather and beautiful scenery.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:38 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,055,052 times
California.

New York (Hudson River Valley, Adirondacks, Catskills, NYC and Long Island) in late spring/early summer would also be an excellent choice.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:50 PM

7,166 posts, read 9,952,281 times
Default California or New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seany Boy View Post
I've been wanting to visit your nation for sometime now, but I don't know which state to visit, Im a student and I'm still quite young so it probably wont be for a good few years yet, although I hope to do it when I'm about 23 Anyway I'm looking for a state that matches up to these more or less....

I like the wilderness, camping, mountain climbing, swimming and generally just being outdoors I would like it to be warm and sunny because were I am from you dont get much sun lol

I wont be travelling alone my friends will be coming with me I would like to spend sometime in the USA, Do I need a visa, Im from the UK, I dont want to emigrate as I would miss my home lol but anyway if you have any suggestions thanks and if you need to know any more just ask
"I like the wilderness, camping, mountain climbing, swimming and generally just being outdoors I would like it to be warm and sunny because were I am from you dont get much sun lol"

I would recommend California first for several reasons. To begin with, you have the spectacular scenery of Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks in California's Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Second there is a hiking trail through these mountains called the Pacific Crest Trail. However I am not sure how hard this trail is or how experienced you and your friends are. I suggest you read up on it or ask around.

If hiking through the Sierra Nevada looks a little tough for beginners I would then recommend the Appalachian Trail in the Eastern US. This trail goes from Georgia to Maine (with Georgia being alot warmer than Maine lol). Down south you might want to check out Great Smoky National Park or other nearby areas, but I am not expert on the area.

Up north in the SUMMER, you can check out upstate New York, which is already pretty popular with some of your countrymen. New York has a good trail system in the US with the Appalachian Trail, Long Path, North Country Trail etc. Also, the Adirondack State Park is similar to your English National Parks in ownership. Lots of forests, lakes (over 3000) and mountains in a land area the size of Wales. I think you guys would like that!

Old 12-09-2009, 11:30 PM

13,856 posts, read 23,033,179 times
The Southwest seems to have many sunny places and parts of it are mountainous.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/c474.html

I thought I heard Colorado had some fairly sunny places, but I don't know if it's particularly warm.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:24 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,903,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
"I like the wilderness, camping, mountain climbing, swimming and generally just being outdoors I would like it to be warm and sunny because were I am from you dont get much sun lol"

I would recommend California first for several reasons. To begin with, you have the spectacular scenery of Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks in California's Sierra Nevada Mountains.
You could find these same qualities in the Pacific Northwest during the summer, since you'll be visiting and probably not for longer than 3 months. Summers in the Northwest are the best in the US. Sunny, warm, not humid at all, beautiful, and spectacular scenery. Great cities and the best recreation and wilderness in the country. Real mountains for climbing, rivers and lakes for swimming, forests for camping...

You won't need a visa, but just an ETA (electronic travel authority) if you are staying less than 3 months and not wishing to work. If you want to stay longer or work at all, it gets a lot more complicated and difficult.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:21 PM

577 posts, read 1,141,332 times
Quote:

Anywhere from San Diego along all the way up north to Seattle during summer time will surely put a dent to your heart. One word "Beautiful"

Old 12-11-2009, 02:18 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,824,997 times
Quote:

The Pacific Northwest is often referred to as God's Country.

Here's an example of why... Shots of Seattle.

Check out the pics...

Words Can't Describe Seattle's Beauty This Week

And more of WA State...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11883007-post212.html

Last edited by JustCallMeTC; 12-11-2009 at 02:27 PM..

Old 12-11-2009, 04:06 PM

7,644 posts, read 9,498,848 times
California, or a combination of rural northern New England and New York City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or