U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 01:54 PM

5 posts, read 5,379 times

Advertisements

I'm a new member, I currently reside in Miami, Florida.

I went back to school but im almost done, I have 8 months left and I would like to leave Miami. I need a change from here.

I'm not exactly sure where to go though......

Just something about the people here lately, I have nothing against my own kind, but lately there is a lot of trash coming to the surface. I know every place has it's trash, it's just time to get out of here soon.

A little bit about me and requirements:

Me:

28 y/o Male
Currently single
Born in Miami
Cuban background (but I'm not your loud type, I'm very much Americanized)
Health care tech: Radiography, CT, MRI

Things I like & Requirements:

Photography
I love to drive so having a car is a must
Avid motorsports enthusiast (road racing, ie. not nascar)
Some twisty roads would be nice, for a fun Sunday morning drive
I don't care for clubbing, I'd rather goto a bar
Meeting new people
I don't mind the heat, i'm used to it
I don't not want to shovel snow, even though I like the cold.
I prefer living in a home (having a garage is nice)

If there is any other info that would help in finding a relocation spot, I'll post it as this thread develops.

oh and i have an indoor cat, prob won't be much of a difference for him.

Quite interested to see what others have to say, I have seen some nice threads on here with plenty of info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 02:05 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,170,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSS Mike View Post
I'm a new member, I currently reside in Miami, Florida.

I went back to school but im almost done, I have 8 months left and I would like to leave Miami. I need a change from here.

I'm not exactly sure where to go though......

Just something about the people here lately, I have nothing against my own kind, but lately there is a lot of trash coming to the surface. I know every place has it's trash, it's just time to get out of here soon.

A little bit about me and requirements:

Me:
28 y/o Male
Currently single
Born in Miami
Cuban background (but I'm not your loud type, I'm very much Americanized)
Health care tech: Radiography, CT, MRI

Things I like & Requirements:
Photography
I love to drive so having a car is a must
Avid motorsports enthusiast (road racing, ie. not nascar)
Some twisty roads would be nice, for a fun Sunday morning drive
I don't care for clubbing, I'd rather goto a bar
Meeting new people
I don't mind the heat, i'm used to it
I don't not want to shovel snow, even though I like the cold.
I prefer living in a home (having a garage is nice)

If there is any other info that would help in finding a relocation spot, I'll post it as this thread develops.

oh and i have an indoor cat, prob won't be much of a difference for him.

Quite interested to see what others have to say, I have seen some nice threads on here with plenty of info.
Well, you could join a couple of hundred thousand of your old neighbors and come to Atlanta.

I have several Cuban friends from South Florida that love it here, and there are dozens of daily flights when you need a little homesickness fix!

Old 12-10-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Well, you could join a couple of hundred thousand of your old neighbors and come to Atlanta.

I have several Cuban friends from South Florida that love it here, and there are dozens of daily flights when you need a little homesickness fix!
For some reason Atlanta never really answered my calling.

At first somewhere in the southwest caught my attention, but some are saying places like phoenix = retirement community. That's what some people say about Miami, which is not true.

I have time to plan for this, but great feedback is always good.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,466,902 times
Not sure what your budget is but San Diego would work for you although it's pricey and the job market is not good right now. If you can make it work by finding a decent job then I think it would be a good place to look. Lots of motorcycles here it seems to and with the mountains there are plenty of places to ride. It's colder overall than Miami but pretty much every place is except Hawaii but not what most people consider "cold" overall, very mild actually. And it gets cold and snows in our local mountains so if you need a little winter escape it's just a 45-60 minute drive from the beach.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:13 PM

2,298 posts, read 5,596,716 times
What can you afford for housing? You can get a good 2 bed condo in DC Metro for 250-300K. You can buy a whole 3 bed house for less than 180K in Wichita KS.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:14 PM

23,127 posts, read 35,127,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSS Mike View Post
For some reason Atlanta never really answered my calling.

At first somewhere in the southwest caught my attention, but some are saying places like phoenix = retirement community. That's what some people say about Miami, which is not true.

I have time to plan for this, but great feedback is always good.
To me, it sounds like Seattle is exactly what you're looking for.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,841,400 times
There are so many places you can choose. If you are open to it, I'd cast my net wide and look at a variety of opportunities that might open for you.
I think you might struggle with the desert SW and the mountain states because it's so dry. After acclimating to Miami, I could hardly breathe when I went to Colorado a few years ago. If you don't want snow, NC is probably about as far North as you will want to go. So, take a look at the swath from NC, across the South to Texas and then on the West Coast.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
What can you afford for housing? You can get a good 2 bed condo in DC Metro for 250-300K. You can buy a whole 3 bed house for less than 180K in Wichita KS.
I'm looking to rent at first, it gives me the freedom to pack up and leave in case I do not like it. I'd say about $1,600 a month or less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not sure what your budget is but San Diego would work for you although it's pricey and the job market is not good right now. If you can make it work by finding a decent job then I think it would be a good place to look. Lots of motorcycles here it seems to and with the mountains there are plenty of places to ride. It's colder overall than Miami but pretty much every place is except Hawaii but not what most people consider "cold" overall, very mild actually. And it gets cold and snows in our local mountains so if you need a little winter escape it's just a 45-60 minute drive from the beach.
I considered San Diego, average pay in California for an imaging tech with advanced skill was about 80k+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
To me, it sounds like Seattle is exactly what you're looking for.
I've been to Seattle before, but I was younger I was 16 if i remember correctly. Aren't there a lot of misty and dreary days? I'll miss the sunshine.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
There are so many places you can choose. If you are open to it, I'd cast my net wide and look at a variety of opportunities that might open for you.
I think you might struggle with the desert SW and the mountain states because it's so dry. After acclimating to Miami, I could hardly breathe when I went to Colorado a few years ago. If you don't want snow, NC is probably about as far North as you will want to go. So, take a look at the swath from NC, across the South to Texas and then on the West Coast.
I have been to the Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and the dryness didn't affect me, so the SW isn't out of the question. It would make for some interesting scenery.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:51 PM

594 posts, read 950,448 times
Southern California, or New Jersey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or