Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:53 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,049,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySwelly View Post
I don't get it. If you make them suffer a painful death, and then they die, how do they learn from the pain? They're dead. And if you're trying to teach would-be murderers a lesson, I don't think it helps. Those people are already crazy, and they don't care what happens.

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure most states have gotten rid of it. There is a rumor that the US purchased 30,000 guillotines, but I don't think that's been proven.
True I'm sure some one would take the death penalty over the terrible prison system they have in South America or Russia. Also keep in mind these days one or two inmates per cell is almost unheard now days with prison overcrowding like this now in most jails and prisons in most states in the US http://www.prisonpath.com/wp-content...nia-prison.jpg

The pros is some one in for robbery ,car theft , B&E and theft is they are a bit safer not having killer around.Where they could get killed or hurt really bad well they are locked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 11:16 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistressAngelica View Post
punishment should ALWAYS!!!! fit the crime..Giving someone a shot that kills them is way to humane..they deserve something lingering and extremely painful..if they have raped,tortured a child they deserve something so horrible!!
Part of the reason we don't punish rapists with the death penalty, for instance, is that it would motivate them to kill their victims since they would no longer have anything to lose by doing so (and it might increase their chances of getting away).

Suppose you mutilate someone convicted of a crime, and new evidence later on reveals that they were innocent? Suppose they did something that was useful to society but because you've disabled them, they can no longer do their job? What is the point of retribution in punishment anyway? Retribution is a subjective, irrational sort of emotional desire. Or what if it's determined later on that what they did should not be considered a crime, or as severe a crime? At least if you imprison someone, that kind of sentence can be ceased. Our understanding of morality slowly changes over time. In Saudi Arabia they might think cutting off a hand for stealing is just but that's a horrendous waste of human capital, and it's humiliating and cruel from our perspective (well... my perspective, maybe not yours).

The arguments against medieval punishments you suggest are strong and numerous. But you're more than welcome to move to Iran and see how that works out.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:14 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
To think we even use capital punishment anymore... It's so unethical and hypocritical. Not that everyone can be reformed or anything, but still... And the electric chair no less! Wow!
I find it unethical to rape, torture and/or murder someone. We're all hypocritical to some degree I guess, but I'll side w/ the "hypocrisy" of capitol punishment.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:48 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
To think we even use capital punishment anymore... It's so unethical and hypocritical. Not that everyone can be reformed or anything, but still... And the electric chair no less! Wow!
How many friends have you had murdered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.