Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:52 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Wasn't Virginia the last state to use it?

One more point for Virginia in my book.

The U.S. has become so pansy.
If you want them to suffer more it might be "better" for states to reintroduce being "drawn and quartered" than the electric chair. Granted I don't think "drawn and quartered" was used much in the US, but the colonials would sometimes whip people until they died or gouge their eyes out.

I can see a defense for the death penalty, but I don't see any need to make it more painful than necessary. Yeah their victims probably suffered more, but if we go down that road the state would have to start raping and mutilating some murders to "make it even" and that's just crazy. If it has any point it's to be "ultimate", end the person being an object of personal vengeance, and "take out" a threat to others. Making it painful is not necessary for any of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:19 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,637,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
If I wanted to talk about it I really would have talked about it, thanks.
So your post must have been an illusion.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:09 PM

15 posts, read 14,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
To think we even use capital punishment anymore... It's so unethical and hypocritical.

Ever have it happen to YOU? Family members life taken?
What about the unspeakable crimes that these people commit? What they've done causes far more damage to society and is far more "unethical" than capital punishment.
Hypocritical? So feeding and giving free cable to a mass murderer on the public's dime is a better option? No, I'd rather be "hypoctitical" and see justice served than know that some creep is eating a hot meal and watching Oprah in prison. If you murder somebody, premeditated murder, so not in self defense or an accident, there needs to be consequences that could deter the act from happening to begin with. You shouldn't have the right to go on living if you kill a child or innocent bystanders. I will even go as far as to say that if a drunk driver kills someone, they should be put to death. There have been numerous cases where a drunk driver has killed someone, went to jail, got out and then drove illegally and killed again.
That opinion said, there needs to be an airtight case against a person if you are going to use capital punishment. DNA, witnesses, murder weapon. I think that every state needs capital punishment and that gun laws need to be changed

Old 12-14-2009, 03:08 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,940,832 times
Up until last year Nebraska was the only state to still mandate electrocution, but they were strongly encouraged to adopt lethal injection.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:49 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
If you want them to suffer more it might be "better" for states to reintroduce being "drawn and quartered" than the electric chair. Granted I don't think "drawn and quartered" was used much in the US, but the colonials would sometimes whip people until they died or gouge their eyes out.

I can see a defense for the death penalty, but I don't see any need to make it more painful than necessary. Yeah their victims probably suffered more, but if we go down that road the state would have to start raping and mutilating some murders to "make it even" and that's just crazy. If it has any point it's to be "ultimate", end the person being an object of personal vengeance, and "take out" a threat to others. Making it painful is not necessary for any of that.
I'll meet you in the middle. I see no reason to go to the extreme of intentionally dragging it on and making it unrelentingly painful but at the same time, I am totally opposed to intentionally designing it to be as painless as possible. I am for electrocution, the gas chamber, firing squad, and hanging.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:39 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,551,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I'll meet you in the middle. I see no reason to go to the extreme of intentionally dragging it on and making it unrelentingly painful but at the same time, I am totally opposed to intentionally designing it to be as painless as possible.
Okay why? If it's a matter of absolutely painless requiring too much research or expense I can see it, but I really don't see why that would be the case. We put people out for surgery all the time so I don't see why "putting someone out permanently", via drugs, would be that expensive or require any research.

Is it that you feel a painless death sends the wrong message? That death or killing is "easy and bloodless." Possibly the guillotine would be a way to go to avoid that. The guillotine is quick, but certainly not bloodless. And you can possibly use the executed person's organs afterward with the guillotine. (Sounds weird, but I think the guillotine or firing squad is probably more humane than hanging or electrocution)

Old 12-15-2009, 02:50 AM

50 posts, read 148,466 times
I would choose firing squad if I was unfortunate enough to have the choice.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:00 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Okay why? If it's a matter of absolutely painless requiring too much research or expense I can see it, but I really don't see why that would be the case. We put people out for surgery all the time so I don't see why "putting someone out permanently", via drugs, would be that expensive or require any research.

Is it that you feel a painless death sends the wrong message? That death or killing is "easy and bloodless." Possibly the guillotine would be a way to go to avoid that. The guillotine is quick, but certainly not bloodless. And you can possibly use the executed person's organs afterward with the guillotine. (Sounds weird, but I think the guillotine or firing squad is probably more humane than hanging or electrocution)
I believe a painless killing sends the wrong message that the person being executed is being afforded a luxury (a death specifically designed to be painless, which is something the victim was not entitled to) as well as making a mockery out of the perception of all legal executions.

Actually, I would be for the use of the guillotine. I believe France maintained it until François Mitterand abolished it in 1980 or 1981.

Hanging is really just as quick if the rope is measured properly as according to the person's height and weight.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,051 times
punishment should ALWAYS!!!! fit the crime..Giving someone a shot that kills them is way to humane..they deserve something lingering and extremely painful..if they have raped,tortured a child they deserve something so horrible!!

Old 07-19-2013, 08:57 AM

798 posts, read 1,034,035 times
I don't get it. If you make them suffer a painful death, and then they die, how do they learn from the pain? They're dead. And if you're trying to teach would-be murderers a lesson, I don't think it helps. Those people are already crazy, and they don't care what happens.

Back on topic, I'm pretty sure most states have gotten rid of it. There is a rumor that the US purchased 30,000 guillotines, but I don't think that's been proven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.