Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What type of winter weather do you prefer?
Bitter cold & snowy (well below freezing) ~ Similar Southeaster/Central Canada & Upper Midwestern U.S. 12 12.63%
Cold & Snowy (slightly below freezing) 26 27.37%
Cold & Dry (slightly below freezing, rarely snow/rain) 6 6.32%
Cold & Snow, Rain, mixed. (Around freezing point)~ Similar to NYC area 8 8.42%
Variable, from Bitter Cold to Mild (Sometimes heavy snow, or rain) ~ Similar to Denver area 6 6.32%
Chilly/Mild & Rainy (Occasional/rare snowfall) ~ Similar to Western Europe & Seattle area 6 6.32%
Mild to Warm (Sometimes rainy) ~ Similar to S. Florida & Hawaii 31 32.63%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:33 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

I like the warm weather because when you get older the cold makes the body have more aches and pains.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 11:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
I like it cold (20s and 30s), puncuated by a few days of Artic-like weather (teens and below). Pretty much what I get here in Northern Illinois.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:36 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,597,964 times
I prefer the changing seasons. Hot for 3 months, cold for 3 months, and a mix of both in between. I love the variety of weather in the southern midwest.
My family has a place in Southern Florida where is spend 2 weeks every year to satisfy my beach fix and I try to make it the Rockies every year for at least one ski trip. I don't mind the cold as long as it's sunny as I know how to layer my dress to stay warm.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:15 PM

160 posts, read 498,834 times
I prefer mild to warm winters. On the day after Christmas many people were swimming in the gulf of mexico by Naples Pier, and my family was fishing.

On New Years I was able to go to Marco Island and fish again. It was beautiful, the temperature was perfect, there was full moon out, dolphins were in the water ,and the palm trees were swaying.

I also like the fact that I was wearing a cut-off t-shirt and shorts and was able to walk home from the gym to my house at night, and feel comfortable doing it.

Although the poll should be changed. Usually Winter in S. Florida is the dry season and the humidity is at a low point, it's not supposed to rain that often until the spring/summer months (wet season).

Old 01-02-2010, 04:57 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,313 times
I love the temp range from where I live now. NYC. It gets cold but its never way below freezing for very low. It snows, but we only average 24 inches of snow a year. The ground is mostly bare through out the year, and you only have to dig your wipe your windshields maybe 10 times the whole winter. But theres nothing worse than 34 degrees and raining.

I love Denver's temp also. 72F one day 32 and snowing the next.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:35 PM

42 posts, read 224,834 times
I absolutely love snow. But there are certain limits to everything. Take Buffalo right now. During their NFL Football game, it was snowing like crazy, and this atrocious Arctic Air Mass made temperatures near zero. Snow is beautiful, but it is hard to enjoy it with severe cold.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:42 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
I prefer snowy and cold winters. The snowpack generally lasts from December to April here in central NH. This allows for a good variety of winter activities such as: skiing, snowshoeing, ice fishing, pond hockey, snowmobiling, etc. I also like the fact that our summer temps are much more tolerable (70s an 80s for highs- lows in the 40s and 50s). The humidity doesn't bother me too much. It is much better then living in a semi-arid climate with brown vegetation much of the time.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:55 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,242,900 times
I;'m originally from south Georgia and I used to be such a snow lover. Then the DC area got a foot and a half of snow two weeks ago. My weekend plans were ruined, It took like a half an hour to dig my car out of the snow because it never occured to me to buy a shovel, and I was late to work because my car got stuck in a snow bank after spinning out on an unplowed road near my home. Snow is no longer cute. There are still snow piles here and there in VA and I'm sick of seeing them. They're hard chunks of ice and covered with dirt and soot so its not even pretty anymore. I still like snow but no longer the big snow fan I once was.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 AM

32 posts, read 79,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
80 degrees and sunny
ditto

Old 01-04-2010, 11:18 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
4 seasons. Kinda like here in Memphis, but not as long and hot of a summer. More snow in the winter. So a climate like the Lower Midwest/Upper South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.