U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:44 AM

23,125 posts, read 35,070,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
My understanding of Decatur, it wasn't founded as a suburb, it was its own city with its own economy. Same with Marietta. Today they function as burb because Atlanta's suburbs have engulfed them, but they weren't originally envisioned to be suburbs.
True of every city on Atlanta's list except for Avondale Estates, which was one of the U.S.'s first planned communities.

The City of Avondale Estates :: History

I'm thinking that the true 'uburbs' of Atlanta would be Vinings, Buckhead, Ansley Park, Brookwood Hills, Virginia-Highland, Inman Park, Grant Park, Druid Hills, Morningside/Lenox Park, LaVista Park, Martin Manor, Brookhaven, Underwood Park, West End, Cascade Heights and Collier Heights to name a few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:57 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,216,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Tennessee has the tiny towns act which says you can't start a new town within (I think) 10 miles of an existing town. There are a few exceptions, but generally you can tell the towns apart.
But then what happens when the cities engulf them, i.e. Franklin/Brentwood?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:02 AM

3,628 posts, read 9,216,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
True of every city on Atlanta's list except for Avondale Estates, which was one of the U.S.'s first planned communities.

The City of Avondale Estates :: History

I'm thinking that the true 'uburbs' of Atlanta would be Vinings, Buckhead, Ansley Park, Brookwood Hills, Virginia-Highland, Inman Park, Grant Park, Druid Hills, Morningside/Lenox Park, LaVista Park, Martin Manor, Brookhaven, Underwood Park, West End, Cascade Heights and Collier Heights to name a few.
Isn't VA-Highland more of a neighborhood in the city proper? I mean it's not far from downtown at all.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:07 AM

23,125 posts, read 35,070,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Isn't VA-Highland more of a neighborhood in the city proper? I mean it's not far from downtown at all.
In the sense that it is largely made up of single-family homes (as are the others that I listed), I would consider it a 'uburb'.
Kudos to the OP for bringing a new term to the lexicon.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:47 AM

8,011 posts, read 16,075,189 times
I hate the term "urburb." It's redundant. They're just secondary metropolitan cities or satellite cities. There are also different kinds of them. In the Boston area, Cambridge and Somerville are very much a part of Boston's immediate urban fabric. They weren't cities built to be on their own, they were developed as a result of Boston's growth. They aren't really suburbs though. They're urban cities that are part of a larger organism.

On the other hand, cities like Lowell, Lynn, Salem, Lawrence, Haverhill, Brockton, etc developed as their own independent cities and have since become part of the Boston area and are more secondary dependents on the city of Boston than they are independent smaller cities. They are satellite cities caught in Boston's orbit (Lynn is almost fully engulfed by Boston's spread and is more a suburban city).

Old 12-14-2009, 04:35 PM

5 posts, read 10,356 times
The way I see it, "suburban Phoenix" and "suburban Atlanta" sounds redundant because they are both pretty much giant suburbs themselves. Seriously, outside of downtown high-rises, it's very difficult to differentiate whether you're in the city or a suburb because they are very similar in terms of urban design. Thus, I would definitely NOT refer to places like Tempe and Mesa as "Urburbs" of Phoenix or Avondale Estates and Decatur as "Urburbs" of Atlanta. I like lammius' interpretation - cities that can be considered suburbs based on proximity to an even larger city but have characteristics (such as population density, mass transit, walkability, etc) that are very urban and are comparable to the region's core city. A few examples might be Cambridge, MA, Jersey City, NJ, Hoboken, NJ, Union City, NJ, Yonkers, NY, Camden, NJ, Alexandria, VA, Arlington, VA, etc. I also agree that the neologism is confusing in many ways and isn't likely to catch on.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:09 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,514,551 times
So are urburbs just inner-suburbs which have minimal break from the inner-core city? If so, I tend to agree with TravelinMan on a couple of points. First off, cities like Phoenix and Houston don't have "urburbs". they are 517 and 540 square miles so any neighborhoods that would fit the description of an "urburb" were annexed years ago.

I even feel like Atlanta has a neighborhoods with "urburban" qualities within their borders. The most notable neighborhood is Buckhead. In many ways it's like Brookline to Boston. They both have very beautiful, very wealthy single-family homes in a relatively dense urban layout along with a nice downtown...Buckhead's downtown is more focused on high-rises, while Brookline is focused more on density and a pleasant pedestrian atmosphere.

For Boston, I would say our "urburbs" are Cambridge, Brookline, Somerville, and Watertown.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:12 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,653,507 times
Most ridiculous word I think I've ever heard. That and Twitter.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,154,879 times
As compared with suburbs in the East, most of the "suburbs" here in the SF Bay Area are uburbs. Typical lot size in most of them is 40 X 80 at most.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:18 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,120,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
New York City: (Alphabetized)

Downtown Brooklyn
Downtown Jamaica
Elizabeth
Flushing
Garden City
Hempstead
Jersey City
Long Island City
Mount Vernon
Newark
North Shore of Staten Island
Paterson
Trenton
White Plains
Yonkers

5 of them are actually in NYC city limits, they aren't part of the city's "core", some are actually further away than the separate cities.
You left out the grandaddy of them all: Hoboken NJ. and downtown Brooklyn , downtown Jamaica, North Shore, Flushing and Long Island City are all within the city limits. The OP was looking for areas outside the city. All the others are pretty good examples of urburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or