U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:46 AM

4,475 posts, read 7,300,888 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain why Raleigh is listed? I've been there several times and aside from the Cameron Village area and Glennwood Avenue, it seemed like more of a place where you'd raise your kids; a more family oriented kinda city. Am I missing something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 AM

4,668 posts, read 6,121,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Austin, Portland, New Orleans, and Seattle would be my top choices.
This was going to be my list exactly.

Old 12-13-2009, 12:03 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,589,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
Even if a city as a whole doesn't seem like a natural fit for 20-30 year olds there are areas of all major cities which would be a good fit for that age range.
this...the big cities all have that going on, as well as stuff for other age ranges... I would much prefer it over college towns, I hate college towns, even when I was in college I was over it after freshman year and found myself driving or flying elsewhere on the weekends to go out instead. Even bigger ones tend to have that scene, but then you get all the damn 18-20 year olds going there too with fake ids *puke*. Mostly the scene there is a binge drinking grind fest playing sir mix a lot ,possibly with some indie bands thrown in for good measure getting drunk off pbr and other disgusting cheap beer. You think I can hand out business cards to most of these clueless, broke and unworldly folk, or make real networking connections, or meet experienced women? Negative.
Even if they are younger in cities like NYC and Chicago or DC they tend to have a more "grown up" mind set, meet entrepreneurs and people actually doing something with their lives, etc. Not so much in the usual pegged "young city" cities.

Last edited by grapico; 12-13-2009 at 12:13 PM..

Old 12-13-2009, 12:56 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,678,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
this...the big cities all have that going on, as well as stuff for other age ranges... I would much prefer it over college towns, I hate college towns, even when I was in college I was over it after freshman year and found myself driving or flying elsewhere on the weekends to go out instead. Even bigger ones tend to have that scene, but then you get all the damn 18-20 year olds going there too with fake ids *puke*. Mostly the scene there is a binge drinking grind fest playing sir mix a lot ,possibly with some indie bands thrown in for good measure getting drunk off pbr and other disgusting cheap beer. You think I can hand out business cards to most of these clueless, broke and unworldly folk, or make real networking connections, or meet experienced women? Negative.
Change indie bands with country bands and you just described Lubbock (Texas Tech), San Marcus (Texas State), and College Station (Texas A&M). I decided to go to college in Houston instead of those towns so I could avoid that scene. I have to say, the student body in big city colleges seem to be much more diverse, classy, and mature than small town schools. At least, that's the way it seems in Texas. I don't know if that's true for the rest of the country.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:42 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,988,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Can someone explain why Raleigh is listed? I've been there several times and aside from the Cameron Village area and Glennwood Avenue, it seemed like more of a place where you'd raise your kids; a more family oriented kinda city. Am I missing something?
Maybe it's for 20 somethings who are married with kids. I wouldn't think that would be all that strange. If you're going to have kids I think it makes sense, biologically, to at least have one of them before age 30.

In North Carolina the median age at first marriage is 26 for women and 27 for men. There only looks to be four states where "age at first marriage" is above thirty. So a married 28-year-old with a new baby is maybe the 20 something they'd have. Or not, just thinking.

Interactive Map - The States of Marriage and Divorce - Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Old 12-13-2009, 05:29 PM

3,117 posts, read 6,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Change indie bands with country bands and you just described Lubbock (Texas Tech)
No, not really. Not at all actually.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:20 PM

4,475 posts, read 7,300,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Maybe it's for 20 somethings who are married with kids. I wouldn't think that would be all that strange. If you're going to have kids I think it makes sense, biologically, to at least have one of them before age 30.

In North Carolina the median age at first marriage is 26 for women and 27 for men. There only looks to be four states where "age at first marriage" is above thirty. So a married 28-year-old with a new baby is maybe the 20 something they'd have. Or not, just thinking.

Interactive Map - The States of Marriage and Divorce - Pew Social & Demographic Trends
That makes sense.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:48 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,154,332 times
Best Cities For Singles 2009 - Forbes.com
1. New York City
2. Boston
3. Chicago
4. Seattle
5. Washington D.C.
6. Atlanta
7. San Francisco
8. Los Angeles
9. Milwaukee
10. Philadelphia
11. Austin
12. San Diego
13. Denver-Aurora
14. Cleveland
15. Providence
16. Portland
17. Dallas
18. Buffalo
19. Minneapolis
20. Virginia Beach-Norfolk
21. Baltimore
22. Las Vegas
23. St. Louis
24. Pittsburgh
25. Houston
26. Orlando
27. San Antonio
28. Columbus
29. Miami
30. Phoenix
31. Indianapolis
32. Charlotte
33. Tampa-St. Petersburg
34. Detroit
35. Sacramento
36. Memphis
37. Kansas City
38. Cincinnati
39. Salt Lake City
40. Jacksonville

Old 12-13-2009, 07:49 PM

3,995 posts, read 8,872,528 times
Not ranked...

Scottsdale, Tempe, Phoenix
Seattle (downtown)
New York
Boston
Chicago (inside the loop)

Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 AM

989 posts, read 1,932,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
It's just very well-rounded. I'm speaking of the entire Research Triangle though. I mean, Chapel Hill/Carrboro works for your college crowd, arts and music scene, vibrant atmosphere, etc. Then Raleigh/Durham is nice for your city needs and amenities. And of course bedroom communities like Cary are perfect for the whole "safe suburban life" thing for when you get older and want a family. It has a little bit of everything within that stretch to tide you over through each of the different stages that occur between 20-40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or