U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2009, 10:14 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,793 posts, read 2,703,877 times
Reputation: 1339

Advertisements

Shout outs to the great food cities:

Milwaukee-- Brats. Amazing. Probably the most underrated food city.

Chicago-- Deep dish pizza is certainly one of my favorites.

NY-- I guess pretty much everything in NY is delicious. Pizza and Pasta get especially high marks.

Philly-- God Bless the South Philly Italians.

New Orleans-- Southern food is so fattening that it will eventually kill you, but at least you will die happy.


I know there are many other great food cities, but these are some off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2009, 11:27 PM
rah
 
Location: Oakland
3,315 posts, read 8,122,018 times
Reputation: 2508
I know a lot of people associate seafood with SF, especially dungeoness crab, and probably salmon too...but to me the quintessential SF food (and my favorite SF food...possibly my favorite food period, when it's done right) would be the "SF style burrito" (or Mission style, whatever you wanna call it). I grew up eating those things, as did tons of other Bay Area residents...no other place does them quite like they're done in the Bay Area. Chipotle for example is an imitation of the SF style burrito...it's ok, but not the same as an authentic one from a good taqueria somewhere in SF or elsewhere in the Bay.

San Francisco burrito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And for Philly...Cheesesteaks! what else? I guess i do still have to try scrapple
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,240,132 times
Reputation: 1819
My 3 favorites--

NY--pizza and bagels.
Philly- cheesesteaks
Boston- New England clam chowder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley
4,060 posts, read 9,112,573 times
Reputation: 3435
Probably most of AZ - green chillies and of course Mexican
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,945 posts, read 4,149,388 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I know a lot of people associate seafood with SF, especially dungeoness crab, and probably salmon too...but to me the quintessential SF food (and my favorite SF food...possibly my favorite food period, when it's done right) would be the "SF style burrito" (or Mission style, whatever you wanna call it). I grew up eating those things, as did tons of other Bay Area residents...no other place does them quite like they're done in the Bay Area. Chipotle for example is an imitation of the SF style burrito...it's ok, but not the same as an authentic one from a good taqueria somewhere in SF or elsewhere in the Bay.

San Francisco burrito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And for Philly...Cheesesteaks! what else? I guess i do still have to try scrapple
I would associate salmon more with Seattle and the PNW, than I would with SF. A friend of mine from Seattle brought back some wasabi flavored salmon jerky that was the most delicious dried meat I've ever experienced.

SF is where chop suey and cioppino were invented. While I'm not a huge chop suey fan, I think cioppino is my all time favorite Italian dish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My 3 favorites--

NY--pizza and bagels.
Philly- cheesesteaks
Boston- New England clam chowder
C'mon Rachael, Manhattan clam chowder is way better than New England style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Probably most of AZ - green chillies and of course Mexican
Green chiles are really more of a New Mexico thing than an Arizona thing. Although, they're widely used throughout the Southwest. The only food I miss from my time in Colorado was the green chile cheese fries from Chubby's in Denver. So good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,945 posts, read 4,149,388 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Shout outs to the great food cities:

Milwaukee-- Brats. Amazing. Probably the most underrated food city.

Chicago-- Deep dish pizza is certainly one of my favorites.

NY-- I guess pretty much everything in NY is delicious. Pizza and Pasta get especially high marks.

Philly-- God Bless the South Philly Italians.

New Orleans-- Southern food is so fattening that it will eventually kill you, but at least you will die happy.


I know there are many other great food cities, but these are some off the top of my head.
Brats are what we're mainly known for, but we have quite a few local specialties most people have never experienced. Things like beer cheese soup, pasties, frozen custard, cream puffs, cheese curds, cannibal sandwiches, fish fries, smoked fish, kringle, German potato salad, and a whole lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 01:14 PM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,616,838 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
I know a lot of people associate seafood with SF, especially dungeoness crab, and probably salmon too...but to me the quintessential SF food (and my favorite SF food...possibly my favorite food period, when it's done right) would be the "SF style burrito" (or Mission style, whatever you wanna call it). I grew up eating those things, as did tons of other Bay Area residents...no other place does them quite like they're done in the Bay Area. Chipotle for example is an imitation of the SF style burrito...it's ok, but not the same as an authentic one from a good taqueria somewhere in SF or elsewhere in the Bay.

San Francisco burrito - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, I don't think most people in other parts of the country realize that places like Chipotle are imititating a burrito style that orginated in San Francisco.

I'll always associate San Francisco(and the some of the surrounding coastal towns) with cioppino. Growing up, I used to love going with my family to Scoma's down on the wharf and getting the lazy man cioppino--filled to the brim with clams, crab meat, shrimp, scallops, and fish. Down in Moss Landing on Monterey Bay, Phil's has a good cioppino as well. By the way, real Northern California cioppino should be spicy as hell and large enough that it's a challenge to finish, with fresh sourdough bread on the side.

In the Pacific Northwest, I'd say a regional specialty that pops up fairly often is smoked-salmon chowder. I'd say I eat it more often than clam chowder in Portland and Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,675,924 times
Reputation: 466
San Antonio-Tex-Mex
Fort Worth-Texas BBQ
Santa Fe, NM- Mexican Food
New Orleans- Creole
Southern Louisiana to Houston- Cajun style sea food. I know Southern Louisiana isn't a city but I don't think you can really pin Cajun sea food to one major city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 01:58 PM
rah
 
Location: Oakland
3,315 posts, read 8,122,018 times
Reputation: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, I don't think most people in other parts of the country realize that places like Chipotle are imititating a burrito style that orginated in San Francisco.

I'll always associate San Francisco(and the some of the surrounding coastal towns) with cioppino. Growing up, I used to love going with my family to Scoma's down on the wharf and getting the lazy man cioppino--filled to the brim with clams, crab meat, shrimp, scallops, and fish. Down in Moss Landing on Monterey Bay, Phil's has a good cioppino as well. By the way, real Northern California cioppino should be spicy as hell and large enough that it's a challenge to finish, with fresh sourdough bread on the side.

In the Pacific Northwest, I'd say a regional specialty that pops up fairly often is smoked-salmon chowder. I'd say I eat it more often than clam chowder in Portland and Seattle.
Hmm, salmon chowder sounds like it would be really good...i forgot to mention cioppino, which is also undoubtedly some good San Francisco food. I guess the SF burritos are just a more modern/popular form of SF food, as they came into existence in the 1960's, whereas cioppino is the more "original" and historic SF food, having been around since the 1800's. Plus, I guess a burrito is a little more convenient than a bowl of soup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 02:05 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
4,085 posts, read 7,670,057 times
Reputation: 2648
NY - Bagels, pizza, Nathan's hot dogs, Gray's Papaya hot dogs, variety of ethnic food, pastrami/Jewish Deli, cheesecake.

NJ - All Italian food, Italian deli/salumerias, "Texas" weiners (deep-fried hot dogs), Taylor Ham, Jersey/Rutgers Tomatoes w/ Jersey grown Basil and fresh Mozz., Fat Sandwiches, Stromboli, Disco Fries, pastrami/Jewish Deli, boardwalk fries, Cluck U wings, White Manna and other burger joints' sliders, Jersey produce like blueberries, cranberries, corn, peaches, etc.; seafood from Jersey Shore, especially flounder that I catch myself...

Philly - Cheesesteak, Hoagies, Wawa

Chicago - Chicago Hot dogs (w/ Vienna Beef, bright green relish, etc.), deep dish pizza, Italian Beef sandwiches

Milwaukee - Brats

Montreal - Poutine, steaks, "viande fumee" (smoked meat, similar to pastrami), montreal-style bagels (e.g. St. Viateur), Coffee Crisp candy bars

Memphis - Barbecue

Kansas City - Barbecue

Austin - Barbecue

San Antonio - Mexican food

Albuquerque - New Mexican food, green chile burgers, chile sauces (red and green)

San Diego - Fish Taco, Mexican food

Los Angeles - French dip sandwiches, hot dogs (Pink's and Carney's), Armenian food, Thai food, Sushi, tacos, fresh dates from Palm Springs, various other ethnic foods, In-N-Out burger, Fatburger

Seattle - seafood, apples, coffee

Las Vegas - Buffets, facsimiles of big-name restaurants from other cities but for lower prices and with no wait, a mix of mexican, asian, ethnic, and fast food similar to L.A.

San Francisco - "California Cuisine", seafood, wine from nearby Napa and Sonoma, Chinese and Japanese food

Miami/So. Florida - Cuban sandwich, Pollo Tropical (but we have them in Jersey now, too), Cuban food, Seafood, some southern food and BBQ also.

Boston - North End pizza and bread, pot roast, clam chowder, lobster (courtesy of nearby Maine), seafood like cod, scrod, haddock, striper, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top