U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 10:52 PM

216 posts, read 344,372 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a location that may be right for me? I have an autoimmune disease with complications, and I'm SUPER SENSITIVE to weather temperatures, but at the same time I'm on a fixed income and need to live somewhere where the COL index is well below the average of 100. I'm originally from the Southeast, which doesn't get very cold (usually) in winter compared to a lot of other regions of the US, but the recent cold weather we've had here in Atlanta has been intolerable.

I've realized I don't do well at temps under 55 degrees or over 80 degrees but it seems the cities/states that are warmer year round are the most expensive, so affordability gets the edge over temperature. I'm willing to relocate, and I don't have to worry about working full-time as I am disabled, but I may try to pick up something sedentary on a part-time basis. The cost of living must be low as I am on a fixed income, but I'm okay with having a roommate, if I must. Here's a little personal info that might help with recommendations:

I'm a black female (actually multiracial, but my family identifies as black) in my late 30s. I don't have any kids, and I'm single. I've got a degree and some grad school under my belt. I like to read, and I'm a geek - like running my own Linux web server, and spec'ing out parts to build my own computer kind of a geek. I'm an atheist, and I don't like politics. I don't care what consenting adults do in their bedrooms. My hobby/passion is photography, and I also like to write/blog, and video blog. I'm adventurous, and have PLENTY of experience being the only, or one of few, people of color among whites. It does not bother me. Yes, I speak "Ebonics" when I'm among people who speak it in a social setting, but my first language is standard English.

Can anyone make any recommendations? Ideally, I don't want to pay more than $550 a month on renting an apartment, or preferably a house. Oh, good public transportation or a cheap cab company is a must. Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 02:29 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,492,106 times
Obviously Southern California has the mildest climate for you, but it would still get over 80F. San Diego is your best bet.

Old 12-13-2009, 03:01 AM

216 posts, read 344,372 times
I just checked out San Diego, and it is too expensive. Thanks for your response, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Obviously Southern California has the mildest climate for you, but it would still get over 80F. San Diego is your best bet.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:36 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,492,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRo View Post
I just checked out San Diego, and it is too expensive. Thanks for your response, though.
I'm sure there are some affordable neighbourhoods, or towns nearby (probably not on the coast) that are in your price range.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 AM

1,779 posts, read 3,490,999 times
Must be over 55 but not over 80? And affordable?

I don't think that's likely to happen. San Diego is the only continental US city that will stay above 55 and under 80 most of the time. Hawaii is not excessivley hot and isn't cold, but it is another expensive area to live.

The South will get too hot in the summer, The North too cold in winter.

New Mexico is relativlely mild and affordable, but it will break your temperature requirements several times. But given your strict requirements for affordabilty it's probably the best area in the US for your requirements.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:26 AM

1,988 posts, read 6,378,055 times
Maybe a smaller town in Southern California outside of the major cities would be cheaper but still safe and with suitable weather.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:46 AM

608 posts, read 813,175 times
You may want to check out southern Louisiana. Although it gets hot in the summer, winter temps are mild, (55-70 usually) and the cost of living is very low in the smaller towns. As far as availability of jobs, lower expenses, and proximity to larger cities goes, take a look at towns such as Vinton, Scott, Iota, Church Point, Duson, or Eunice. These inland towns generally will be safe if a hurricane comes through the gulf also.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:32 AM

2,296 posts, read 5,596,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm sure there are some affordable neighbourhoods, or towns nearby (probably not on the coast) that are in your price range.
No there's not. Spend some time in the San Diego forum. OP will financially be putting herself at great risk if she moves into San Diego County.
Unless she is willing to live in Barrio Logan, home of MS13 and lots of Tijuana-styled mafioso. Then there's Skyline- she could rent a one bed for 650 a month but be at the mercy of very high and violent crime (bodies found in apt complex dumpsters, etc).
Also, SD is a desert climate- that means that 5 miles in, high heat drives into the temperatures. It does not remain in the 50-80 degrees range in East San Diego/East County. Go to 10news and look.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:01 AM

1,034 posts, read 3,875,670 times
The desert locations get hot summers, but nice, mild winters. Tucson, AZ stays a little cooler than Phoenix, AZ in both summer and winter. I bet you could find housing in your price range in Tucson or areas of Phoenix and it's surrounding suburbs like Mesa or Glendale. The challenge will be dealing with the summers but if you are not out and about much, you'll be inside enjoying the A/C.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:54 AM

13,387 posts, read 16,762,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
The desert locations get hot summers, but nice, mild winters. Tucson, AZ stays a little cooler than Phoenix, AZ in both summer and winter. I bet you could find housing in your price range in Tucson or areas of Phoenix and it's surrounding suburbs like Mesa or Glendale. The challenge will be dealing with the summers but if you are not out and about much, you'll be inside enjoying the A/C.
Prescott has some trailer Parks at low cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.