U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 05:44 PM

305 posts, read 363,737 times

Advertisements

If you had to sterotype an "Urbanite," what would that person be like? How would they talk? What would they be interested in? How would they drive? Would they be mean, nice, blunt?

Of course all cities and people are different, but if you had to generalize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 02:18 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
Rough guess at this hour: Somewhat callous, easily bored, fun, and cultured. By "cultured" I can just mean "exposed to more cultural products." Even a poor urban kid likely has a better chance of seeing an indie film or going to a Chinese market than I ever had.

The part about "callous and easily bored" is a bit of an insult, but I also think it's understandable when it occurs. If you see things all the time it's going to take more to entertain you. Also if you see/hear many sob stories you're going to be a bit "compassion fatigued" or at least learn to tune some things out. I respect that both these may occur, but it's true that at times it makes urban visitors seem cold or whiny. (The stereotype being slightly stand-offish people constantly asking "what do you do here?" and being clearly dissatisfied by the answer. I think that stereotype has some truth though)

Another that is often true is that agriculture or nature is foreign and maybe even a little weird for them. Me and my cousin from the city spent time at this house of another cousin who lives in the countryside. At one point she goes "what is that sound?" At first I didn't know what she was talking about, but then I answered "it's a cow." I seem to recall her eyes going round and being like "a cow?" The thought of cows being close enough to a house to hear almost seemed to freak her out.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:09 AM

30,679 posts, read 49,430,310 times
More accustomed to being able to find things at 2am. Barber shops are open, pizza parlors, shopping is all available 24/7. Whereas moving rural all businesses open in the morning and close in the afternoon. So there are few places open at night.

Less able to do things for themselves. I mean fewer jack-of-all-trades.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:17 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,206,495 times
people that are not surprised by much or easily offended..

Old 12-14-2009, 11:23 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,627,844 times
I don't think you can. Most urban people I know have all sorts of personalities, schedules, likes, dislikes, speed, etc....... maybe the only thing I can think of is being faster in terms of getting around and dealing with situations in public.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:36 AM

3,113 posts, read 6,494,960 times
In real life, "urbanites" can't be stereotyped. The "urbanites" on C-D are this: Stuff White People Like

Old 12-14-2009, 01:57 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,410,475 times
I don't think you can generalize. I suppose if you take "urbanite" to mean someone who is living in a city by choice (and not because that's where the jobs are, etc.), then you could make some bigger generalizations. I'd guess that people who prefer life in the city put access to a diverse range of people and experiences high on their list of priorities, and who maybe feel more energized by being around a lot of other people (even if they themselves are introverts), as well as probably generally put a higher priority on living in a denser, more compact and walkable neighborhood.

I'm willing to pay more (within reason; can't afford some, no matter how much I'd like them) and put up with some downsides of city life if it means living in an urban neighborhood. Others have other priorities, and choose instead to live with bigger yards, more square footage, and the hassles of driving, among other things. It's those preferences that vary by person, but as far as "nice," "mean," "blunt," (or how they talk) etc., I don't think there's any one-size-fits-all answer.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:27 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,958,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
In real life, "urbanites" can't be stereotyped. The "urbanites" on C-D are this: Stuff White People Like
I have noticed a bit of an SWPL tendency. (At first that site confused me as many/most things they list are not things actual white people I know like. Eventually I figured out they mean a certain kind of white person not "white people" in general)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or