U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-13-2009, 06:44 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,649 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi me and my husband are looking into moving to america we just got married in September ready for a new start away from Ireland. We dont want to move to a big city, would like 4 seaons not just one (Rain) love the snow, don't know were to start looking. He works in the electrial constuction and i will work at anything bar work, office work anything. Could some one please help us and give us some ideas????? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-13-2009, 07:08 PM
 
575 posts, read 1,136,919 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Mee View Post
Hi me and my husband are looking into moving to america we just got married in September ready for a new start away from Ireland. We dont want to move to a big city, would like 4 seaons not just one (Rain) love the snow, don't know were to start looking. He works in the electrial constuction and i will work at anything bar work, office work anything. Could some one please help us and give us some ideas????? Thank you.
1. Lake Oswego, Or
2. Birmingham, Wa
3. Fort Collins, Co

Spend sometime to read through those places and see if they fit your life style.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2009, 07:58 PM
 
Location: Bike to Surf!
3,080 posts, read 9,939,455 times
Reputation: 2978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Mee View Post
Hi me and my husband are looking into moving to america we just got married in September ready for a new start away from Ireland. We dont want to move to a big city, would like 4 seaons not just one (Rain) love the snow, don't know were to start looking. He works in the electrial constuction and i will work at anything bar work, office work anything. Could some one please help us and give us some ideas????? Thank you.
Unless at least one of you is a US Citizen or Permanent Resident, you cannot move to or work in the United States.

You could potentially get an L-visa through a job transfer if you work for an international company with branches in America.
You could potentially get an H-visa if one of you has a Bachelor of Science degree in a technical field and can convince a US company to hire you.
You could apply to the diversity lottery (yearly) and try to win a Green Card.

Otherwise, there is no way for you to legally immigrate to the United States. Sorry, times have changed since the days of open immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 01:43 AM
 
Location: Southwest Washington
2,317 posts, read 6,885,296 times
Reputation: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery1 View Post
1. Lake Oswego, Or
2. Birmingham, Wa
3. Fort Collins, Co

Spend sometime to read through those places and see if they fit your life style.
Birmingham, AL? Bellingham, WA? Which one is it?

Lake Oswego is an inner suburb of a big city and is not like a small town. Plus it's in Oregon, and in the Northwest we get 4 seasons, but not the kind you're looking for (Rain, More Rain, Still Raining, and Road Construction ), and zero snow like the OP requested. I'd look to New England, Upstate New York, or parts of the Midwest.

OP, iike sponger said, it's not that easy to immigrate to the US from Europe or vice versa. You are likely not eligible for the diversity lottery because there are so many Irish in the US.

But that said, you may look into:

Madison, WI
Appleton, WI
Ann Arbor, MI
Grand Rapids, MI
Duluth, MN
Rochester, MN
Burlington, VT
Portland, ME
Bangor, ME
Manchester, NH
Rochester, NY
Utica, NY
Iowa City, IA

You also may consider trying to move to Canada. Not sure if that appeals to you, but you may want to get on the Immigration Canada website, do the points calculator, and see if you're eligible. There are some places in Ontario that are similar 4 seasons to parts of the US, but more mild winters than much of Canada. Similar culture, to an extent (different countries so your mileage may vary).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 04:43 AM
 
Location: Colorado (PA at heart)
8,897 posts, read 13,651,876 times
Reputation: 11524
Yes, as sponger says, unless one of you is a US citizen or already a permanent resident, I think you need to first consider how plausible it would even be for you obtain a visa to work and live in the US legally before you set your heart on a specific location. For the vast majority of people, the chances are very slim so I would not get your hopes up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 09:00 AM
 
575 posts, read 1,136,919 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Birmingham, AL? Bellingham, WA? Which one is it?

Lake Oswego is an inner suburb of a big city and is not like a small town. Plus it's in Oregon, and in the Northwest we get 4 seasons, but not the kind you're looking for (Rain, More Rain, Still Raining, and Road Construction ), and zero snow like the OP requested. I'd look to New England, Upstate New York, or parts of the Midwest.

OP, iike sponger said, it's not that easy to immigrate to the US from Europe or vice versa. You are likely not eligible for the diversity lottery because there are so many Irish in the US.

But that said, you may look into:

Madison, WI
Appleton, WI
Ann Arbor, MI
Grand Rapids, MI
Duluth, MN
Rochester, MN
Burlington, VT
Portland, ME
Bangor, ME
Manchester, NH
Rochester, NY
Utica, NY
Iowa City, IA

You also may consider trying to move to Canada. Not sure if that appeals to you, but you may want to get on the Immigration Canada website, do the points calculator, and see if you're eligible. There are some places in Ontario that are similar 4 seasons to parts of the US, but more mild winters than much of Canada. Similar culture, to an extent (different countries so your mileage may vary).
Bellingham, Wa.... Sorry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 10:22 AM
 
56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire Mee View Post
Hi me and my husband are looking into moving to america we just got married in September ready for a new start away from Ireland. We dont want to move to a big city, would like 4 seaons not just one (Rain) love the snow, don't know were to start looking. He works in the electrial constuction and i will work at anything bar work, office work anything. Could some one please help us and give us some ideas????? Thank you.
You might like the Syracuse NY area, which has a strong Irish American community. It is not uncommon to have politicians and leaders in law enforcement with irish surnames. You might like the Tipperary Hill/West End neighborhood, if you like city living. You have bars with names like the Blarney Stone and Rosie O'Grady's. It is a relatively affordable area in general, except for taxes. There are 4 seasons, good schools, enough to keep you interested, is in a great location to many major cities in the Northeastern US and Eastern Canada and much more. Here's some information you might be interested in.

Tipperary Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tipperary Hill Neighborhood Association
2009 Tipperary Hill Shamrock Run
City of Syracuse
Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau
Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY
Downtown Syracuse
Welcome to KittyHoynes.com!
Coleman's Authentic Irish Pub Syracuse, NY
http://www.nibsyspub.com/
Roman Catholic Diocese of Syracuse, NY - Welcome (http://www.syrdio.org/index.asp?path=Parishview&id=130 - broken link)
Syracuse St. Patrick's Parade
Guinness Syracuse Irish Festival / September 11-12, 2009 / Syracuse, NY
Mission (http://www.bishopludden.org/bl_interior/mission.htm - broken link)


Central New York Jobs in Construction/Trades
Central New York Jobs in Electronic Technician
Central New York Jobs

Syracuse NY Apartments for Rent | Apartment Finder
#1 Syracuse Real Estate Website | CNYREALTOR.COM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington
2,317 posts, read 6,885,296 times
Reputation: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
You also may consider trying to move to Canada. Not sure if that appeals to you, but you may want to get on the Immigration Canada website, do the points calculator, and see if you're eligible. There are some places in Ontario that are similar 4 seasons to parts of the US, but more mild winters than much of Canada. Similar culture, to an extent (different countries so your mileage may vary).
The reason I suggested Canada (and made the above points) is because it is somewhat easier to immigrate to Canada than the United States, and they have the highest immigration quotas of any country.

Here's the link to the Immigration Canada website:
Immigrating to Canada
You'll probably be most interested in the very top one--skilled workers/professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,542 posts, read 13,616,159 times
Reputation: 7752
I have to assume Claire has already looked into what is required to become a citizen. She didn't ask about that.

Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York all good choices, Claire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2009, 10:34 AM
 
56,538 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Reputation: 12490
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You might like the Syracuse NY area, which has a strong Irish American community. It is not uncommon to have politicians and leaders in law enforcement with irish surnames. You might like the Tipperary Hill/West End neighborhood, if you like city living. You have bars with names like the Blarney Stone and Rosie O'Grady's. It is a relatively affordable area in general, except for taxes. There are 4 seasons, good schools, enough to keep you interested, is in a great location to many major cities in the Northeastern US and Eastern Canada and much more. Here's some information you might be interested in.

Tipperary Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tipperary Hill Neighborhood Association
2009 Tipperary Hill Shamrock Run
City of Syracuse
Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau
Armory Square :: Official Website for Historic Downtown Syracuse, NY
Downtown Syracuse
Welcome to KittyHoynes.com!
Coleman's Authentic Irish Pub Syracuse, NY
Welcome to Nibsy's Pub located in Syracuse NY offering great food and beer.
Roman Catholic Diocese of Syracuse, NY - Welcome (http://www.syrdio.org/index.asp?path=Parishview&id=130 - broken link)
Syracuse St. Patrick's Parade
Guinness Syracuse Irish Festival / September 11-12, 2009 / Syracuse, NY
Mission (http://www.bishopludden.org/bl_interior/mission.htm - broken link)


Central New York Jobs in Construction/Trades
Central New York Jobs in Electronic Technician
Central New York Jobs

Syracuse NY Apartments for Rent | Apartment Finder
#1 Syracuse Real Estate Website | CNYREALTOR.COM
Forgot this too: Onondaga County, New York

Also, the Albany NY area has a strong Irish American community too. Also, at my high school just west of Syracuse(which is also the side that Tipp Hill is on in the city of Syracuse), it was very Irish American and Catholic. It was not uncommon to see surnames like Murphy, O'Donnell, Walsh, McNamara, Kelly, Ryan and Duffy, among some others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top