U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-23-2010, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,992 posts, read 6,583,124 times
Reputation: 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Sure. I mean also, I'm not that interested in what a Southerner thinks feels Southern, because there's a bias there. I have no reason to label Southern Ohio as feeling "Southern" other than because that's the vibe I felt while being there. I have no agenda otherwise. I'm sure it's not truly Southern like Mississippi, Georgia, S. Carolina, etc., but there are more Southern traits there then say Chicago or Minneapolis, where I associate myself with Midwestern.
I have family in the Daytonnati area, and I can say that to me the area seemed as Southern as banjos, sweet tea and NASCAR. Cincinnati is more Southern than Dayton, but both have strong Upland South cultural influences. I've also visited the "true south" states of Alabama and South Carolina, and while both are "more southern" than Cincinnati, the resemblance is still there. I'd say Cinci is more like Birmingham or Nashville than Minneapolis. Driving north on I-75 from Cincinnati, I don't feel like I'm "back home" until I get north of Sidney.

Of course, my opinion may be biased. I'm sure someone from Jackson, Mississippi would probably think "Daytonnati" was Midwestern. It's all based on perspective. One interesting thing is that most SW Ohio residents consider themselves Midwestern, though some identify with the South. I wonder if their perspective would change if they visited the Upper Midwest.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-23-2010, 08:11 PM
 
3,516 posts, read 4,263,828 times
Reputation: 1507
^ not everything in the Midwest has to be compared to the Upper Midwest That's not the standard. That's one extreme. Southern Ohio is more like Indy, St. Louis or Cleveland than it is like Nashville
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Owensboro, Kentucky
46 posts, read 57,073 times
Reputation: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I have family in the Daytonnati area, and I can say that to me the area seemed as Southern as banjos, sweet tea and NASCAR. Cincinnati is more Southern than Dayton, but both have strong Upland South cultural influences. I've also visited the "true south" states of Alabama and South Carolina, and while both are "more southern" than Cincinnati, the resemblance is still there. I'd say Cinci is more like Birmingham or Nashville than Minneapolis. Driving north on I-75 from Cincinnati, I don't feel like I'm "back home" until I get north of Sidney.

Of course, my opinion may be biased. I'm sure someone from Jackson, Mississippi would probably think "Daytonnati" was Midwestern. It's all based on perspective. One interesting thing is that most SW Ohio residents consider themselves Midwestern, though some identify with the South. I wonder if their perspective would change if they visited the Upper Midwest.
I don't see it. Drive about 25 miles into Kentucky and see if you still think Cincinnati seems Southern. You're from way up there though, so I understand.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,992 posts, read 6,583,124 times
Reputation: 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ not everything in the Midwest has to be compared to the Upper Midwest That's not the standard. That's one extreme. Southern Ohio is more like Indy, St. Louis or Cleveland than it is like Nashville
I get the comparison to St. Louis and Indy (I've been to both, they are similar to Cinci, Midwest-South hybrids), but Cleveland is more northern. More Northeast/Great Lakes than Midwest, but still North. I'd say Southern Ohio is more like Nashville than Cleveland, industry aside.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,992 posts, read 6,583,124 times
Reputation: 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster21 View Post
I don't see it. Drive about 25 miles into Kentucky and see if you still think Cincinnati seems Southern. You're from way up there though, so I understand.
I don't see the difference other than rural/urban divide, and I've been to northern Kentucky and SW Ohio many times. Chillicothe, Ohio is very, very similar to Falmouth, Kentucky. I know the area well because I have family in SW Ohio. I'm not saying Southern Ohio is like Mississippi, because it isn't, but it is like Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee. "Upper South" is the technical term. I'm sorry, but it's not the true Midwest.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2010, 11:31 PM
 
854 posts, read 618,904 times
Reputation: 281
^You sure about that?

Chillicothe is in south east Ohio

I can see calling south east Ohio southern, but not south west. Sure, some people from CERTAIN AREAS in Cincinnati may have a slight southern accent, but that's about it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2010, 04:36 AM
 
Location: Walker, Louisiana (I miss the mountains)
1,839 posts, read 1,644,440 times
Reputation: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I don't see the difference other than rural/urban divide, and I've been to northern Kentucky and SW Ohio many times. Chillicothe, Ohio is very, very similar to Falmouth, Kentucky. I know the area well because I have family in SW Ohio. I'm not saying Southern Ohio is like Mississippi, because it isn't, but it is like Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee. "Upper South" is the technical term. I'm sorry, but it's not the true Midwest.
Missouri isn't a whole lot like Tennessee or Kentucky. Only a small portion is.

And trust me, if you go deep enough into Kentucky there is a MAJOR difference.

Ohio is Mid-western and North-eastern. But not southern. I'm gonna start calling Minnesota Canadian because I can and see how that flies.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2010, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Southern Minnesota
5,992 posts, read 6,583,124 times
Reputation: 2918
Wouldn't bother me. I'd love to be a Canadian.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2010, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Floribama
8,559 posts, read 14,825,159 times
Reputation: 4922
I had some good online friends from Cincy come down and visit, when they got here they said they had to listen really carefully to understand what I was saying. Nuff said.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-24-2010, 09:54 AM
 
Location: Cleveland
4,443 posts, read 3,049,123 times
Reputation: 2342
Well you have to start to wonder why several people now feel that Southern Ohio feels "Southern", yet some of you keep insisting that our feelings are wrong (perhaps because we're so "Canadian").
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top