U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 08:31 PM

608 posts, read 812,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Unfortunately until being Gay is no longer a social stigma and we are treated equally by the government/society.......Gay people do need to keep tabs on such political matters. (I don't feel like having to wear a pink triangle; unless I want to) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMY8g5X7yN8 .
My earlier statement wasn't meant to call out gays/lesbians. I just think that it's silly to determine a person's qualifications based upon whether they're gay or not. I'm a straight "redneck" conservative from Texas, but I really could care less if my city officials are gay or not. As long as they do a good job representing my community, I have no worries about all of the other stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:48 PM

425 posts, read 505,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
Atlanta is interesting...they have a big gay presence on the one hand and are very democratic but they are heavily black (which is why they go dem) so again there's the demographics issue. Plus it's in GEORGIA I don't think they have very good attitudes towards gays do they???
A significant number of those blacks are also gay (or "straight" people with gay friends/associates). Those two things are not mutually exclusive. Not sure why that was presented as if the group could only have one characteristic.

Secondly, all of Georgia would not be voting, and Atlanta has a very different political makeup than the state as a whole.

The mayoral candidates of late have seen the "gay" voting bloc as one they must court to win the election. I think Atlanta could easily elect a gay mayor.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,969,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
The city I went to college in elected a gay republican mayor.... but it was only a city of around 30k
Tempe, Arizona apparently had a gay Republican mayor.

ACTIVISTS PROTEST AS RUDY SPEAKS BEFORE GAY BACKERS (http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/1999/08/29/1999-08-29_activists_protest_as_rudy_sp.html - broken link)

I suppose if I were to guess for major cities to elect gay mayors I might guess San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, Seattle, Minneapolis, and New York City. Possible "wild cards" could include Atlanta, Denver, and Washington, DC. The idea "blacks are all socially conservative" is somewhat misleading. They are socially conservative for a group that votes Democratic in such high percentages (Blacks vote Democratic in higher percentages than gays do), but not that socially conservative when you consider rates of church-going and education. Less religious black professionals are often somewhat socially liberal and you might see more people like that in DC or Atlanta. (I hope this doesn't sound racist, if anything I'm trying to talk about blacks as varied and influenced by numerous factors.)

Although what certainly matters is what the gay candidate is like and who he or she is running against. I certainly would not have predicted Houston being the first city of its size to elect a lesbian, but the candidate and situation likely mattered. So if Chicago or Detroit ended up with a very impressive gay or lesbian running against a dufus or something I could see it happening there too. Or if a gay or lesbian was running against either an atheist or a Scientologist they'd have a good shot.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:06 PM

4,474 posts, read 7,292,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Atlanta politics do not match it's region, nor are they easy to explain. BUT, the gay voting block in the City is large and vocal, and was very heavily courted in this latest round of City elections.
Savannah has a large gay population for it's size and is very much a gay friendly city despite being in Georgia.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:29 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,888,070 times
Quote:
What other major cities could elect a gay mayor?
Honestly? I think most major American cities could elect a gay/lesbian mayor if they were the best candidate for the job.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:05 PM

608 posts, read 812,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Honestly? I think most major American cities could elect a gay/lesbian mayor if they were the best candidate for the job.
Agreed. Polliticians generally have too many issues as it is. Most folks, (even those that claim to be "anti-gay") would rather have a competant leader representing their hometown, including a gay one than some idiot that bases their opinions on sexual preferance, but can't do their job well.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:11 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Yeah; I think lots of people underestimate americans. I bet smaller cities could in Texas would vote for a gay mayor. Texans care more about ability to do the job instead of sexuality

Old 12-15-2009, 09:03 AM

5,739 posts, read 12,447,542 times
Quote:
What other major cities could elect a gay mayor? Houston is the first major city to do so, but some smaller cities like Portland Oregon and Providence RI have done so as well.

I think NYC and Boston could easily. Chicago I feel would have problems because of the large black population and blacks are generally more socially conservative. Also a good deal of old school catholics there.

What about L.A? arent' hispanics really socially conservative?

San Francisco could obviously.

San Diego...pretty conservative and has a military presence but tends to be laid back socially I could see them.

Dallas could they already elected several gay officials in citywide elections and the mayor always participates in the gay festivals.

Phoenix I don't see happening they're very conservative, and in Arizona which is conservative.

Atlanta is interesting...they have a big gay presence on the one hand and are very democratic but they are heavily black (which is why they go dem) so again there's the demographics issue. Plus it's in GEORGIA I don't think they have very good attitudes towards gays do they???
I'm surprised a gay was elected at all in the state of Texas. I don't think the city of Orlando (Where I live) will ever elect a gay official. As racially diverse as we are, Orlando still has a very strong conservative presense of the old time red necks who cant let go that Orlando is no longer a small town. Miami I believe has elected various gay officials, far more liberal and progressive then Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville will ever be

Old 12-15-2009, 11:43 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,273,490 times
Quote:
Atlanta has already had gay elected officials in the past, so I don't see sexual orientation as a real issue in a city election. A gay candidate for mayor could be elected if he/she were the right person for the job.

By the way, it doesn't really matter what kind of attitudes people have in the rest of the state - people outside of the city don't vote in mayoral elections.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:02 PM

1,988 posts, read 6,372,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I'm surprised a gay was elected at all in the state of Texas. I don't think the city of Orlando (Where I live) will ever elect a gay official. As racially diverse as we are, Orlando still has a very strong conservative presense of the old time red necks who cant let go that Orlando is no longer a small town. Miami I believe has elected various gay officials, far more liberal and progressive then Orlando, Tampa, and Jacksonville will ever be
I think you would be surprised since we have openly gay representatives on the city council in Orlando already and one of the largest LGBT communities in the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or