U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 12:12 PM

181 posts, read 789,926 times

Advertisements

What other major cities could elect a gay mayor? Houston is the first major city to do so, but some smaller cities like Portland Oregon and Providence RI have done so as well.

I think NYC and Boston could easily. Chicago I feel would have problems because of the large black population and blacks are generally more socially conservative. Also a good deal of old school catholics there.

What about L.A? arent' hispanics really socially conservative?

San Francisco could obviously.

San Diego...pretty conservative and has a military presence but tends to be laid back socially I could see them.

Dallas could they already elected several gay officials in citywide elections and the mayor always participates in the gay festivals.

Phoenix I don't see happening they're very conservative, and in Arizona which is conservative.

Atlanta is interesting...they have a big gay presence on the one hand and are very democratic but they are heavily black (which is why they go dem) so again there's the demographics issue. Plus it's in GEORGIA I don't think they have very good attitudes towards gays do they???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 02:15 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,222,532 times
Los Angeles has had gay elected officials, but I dont know if LA would ever elect a gay mayor. Some of the smaller cities around LA might. LA's minority base is surprsingly socially conservative.

Dallas almost did. Councilman Ed Oakley ran for mayor a few years ago and got 44% of the vote. But Dallasites decided Tom Leppert was the better one for the job. Its not a total loss for the gay community, he is adgenda is surprisingly very pro-gay. He always marches in the parade and goes around the country speaking to Gay tourism groups about Dallas as a gay destination.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:27 PM

32,389 posts, read 55,223,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
LA's minority base is surprsingly socially conservative.
Its not really a surprise all things considered.

And I don't think they'd have a problem electing anyone so long as they are qualified to run the city.

The issue of electing a mayor is not the same as defining marriage, which certainly speaks to the religious proclivities of most people albeit to varying degrees.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:30 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,636,246 times
The city I went to college in elected a gay republican mayor.... but it was only a city of around 30k

Old 12-14-2009, 02:52 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,162,484 times
Yeah, it could easily happen in Atlanta.

We elected Kathy Woolard, a white lesbian City Council President back in the 90's - when the City black population was much higher than it is now.

Just last week we elected our first gay Asian City Councilman, Alan Wan.

The suburb of Decatur has had a gay Mayor, and there are a handful of other gay folks that have been elected in the metro, including several State Representatives to the Legislature.

Atlanta politics do not match it's region, nor are they easy to explain. BUT, the gay voting block in the City is large and vocal, and was very heavily courted in this latest round of City elections.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:00 PM

608 posts, read 812,729 times
Is the gay movement being pushed a little hard on C.D.? Of course a gay/lesbian mayor could get elected in other major cities, but who really cares? Seriously, do some people out there actually keep tabs on gay vs straight city officials across the nation?

Old 12-14-2009, 05:02 PM

1,588 posts, read 3,565,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
What other major cities could elect a gay mayor?
The fact that you have to ask this question is sad.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:56 PM

5,656 posts, read 7,459,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodude84 View Post
What other major cities could elect a gay mayor? Houston is the first major city to do so, but some smaller cities like Portland Oregon and Providence RI have done so as well.

I think NYC and Boston could easily. Chicago I feel would have problems because of the large black population and blacks are generally more socially conservative. Also a good deal of old school catholics there.

What about L.A? arent' hispanics really socially conservative?

San Francisco could obviously.

San Diego...pretty conservative and has a military presence but tends to be laid back socially I could see them.

Dallas could they already elected several gay officials in citywide elections and the mayor always participates in the gay festivals.

Phoenix I don't see happening they're very conservative, and in Arizona which is conservative.

Atlanta is interesting...they have a big gay presence on the one hand and are very democratic but they are heavily black (which is why they go dem) so again there's the demographics issue. Plus it's in GEORGIA I don't think they have very good attitudes towards gays do they???
Try not to confuse yourself.

Arizonans as a whole are not generally socially conservative. They're pretty open-minded. In addition, although Tempe is only 175,523 in population, it is a part of the Phoenix Metro and did have an openly gay mayor (Neil Giuliano) who served for four terms as a Republican nonetheless. He also served as president of GLAAD (Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) from September 2005-January 2009, and he is considering a run for the Arizona gubernatorial election in 2010 as a Democrat.

Tucson and Flagstaff have generally been the more liberal-leaning cities in AZ, but regarding Phoenix, let's not confuse fiscal conservatism with libertarianism or social conservatism (can't say it enough). Phoenix also has a high gay population to boot.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:31 PM

13,241 posts, read 24,454,663 times
Spokane did, but he was in the closet.

It didn't end well.

James E. West (politician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-14-2009, 08:06 PM

15,400 posts, read 19,587,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
Is the gay movement being pushed a little hard on C.D.? Of course a gay/lesbian mayor could get elected in other major cities, but who really cares? Seriously, do some people out there actually keep tabs on gay vs straight city officials across the nation?
Unfortunately until being Gay is no longer a social stigma and we are treated equally by the government/society.......Gay people do need to keep tabs on such political matters. (I don't feel like having to wear a pink triangle; unless I want to) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMY8g5X7yN8 .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or