U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Most Scenic Mountain Range?
Appalachians 15 20.00%
Rockies 21 28.00%
Cascades 27 36.00%
Alaskan Ranges 12 16.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 01:04 PM

3,995 posts, read 8,872,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
But the Sierra's and Rockies are two completely different mountain ranges wtf.
The Sierras are "sub-ranges" of the Rocky Mountains which stretch from Alaska to Mexico; they include all the ranges in the Western U.S. including the Sierras, the Cascades, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:02 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,618,888 times
The Rocky Mountains of course and some of the most beautiful and stunning sub-ranges of the Rockies are in Idaho.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:28 AM

17,435 posts, read 21,272,660 times
I would have to vote for the Sierra's, only because when you travel to that region there's a good chance you'll see them in their majesty, unlike the Cascades which suffer from too many times of the year they're obscured by clouds.

I spent 10 days up in Oregon/Washington in June. In all that time up there, only on my last day there, did I get the opportunity to see Mt.Rainier in all its glory, but only for an hour when there was some rare sunshine late in the afternoon.

I didn't even get to see Mt. Hood, obscured in clouds the time I passed through there.

Seeing the Sierra's is more predictable. No matter when I've traveled to Lone Pine or Bishop, they've been there to be seen. How I wish it was that way with the Cascades!

Same with the Alaskan ranges. Too unpredictable. I was longing to see Mt. Mckinley when I was up there a few years back, and after two days, I gave up and moved on. And that was in early August. But then, my guidebook warned me there was only a 1 out of 3 chance I'd see it on my travels.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:23 PM

38 posts, read 96,308 times
Try the Ouachita national forest or Ozarks if you like GREEN! All that humidity and heat make anything grow. Mainly in western Arkansas, SE Missouri and ne Oklahoma. These are VERY old mountains that were once as tall as Mt. Everest. They are 500 million years plus...

Old 12-19-2009, 12:58 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,892,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I would have to vote for the Sierra's, only because when you travel to that region there's a good chance you'll see them in their majesty, unlike the Cascades which suffer from too many times of the year they're obscured by clouds.

I spent 10 days up in Oregon/Washington in June. In all that time up there, only on my last day there, did I get the opportunity to see Mt.Rainier in all its glory, but only for an hour when there was some rare sunshine late in the afternoon.

I didn't even get to see Mt. Hood, obscured in clouds the time I passed through there.

Seeing the Sierra's is more predictable. No matter when I've traveled to Lone Pine or Bishop, they've been there to be seen. How I wish it was that way with the Cascades!

Same with the Alaskan ranges. Too unpredictable. I was longing to see Mt. Mckinley when I was up there a few years back, and after two days, I gave up and moved on. And that was in early August. But then, my guidebook warned me there was only a 1 out of 3 chance I'd see it on my travels.
That's what makes the Cascades so great! It's more special and more of a treat when you do get to see them. Summer usually offers tons of opportunities to see them, and I even saw Mount St. Helens and the low Cascades from the I-5 corridor a few times these past couple of weeks (and it's winter now!).

Old 12-19-2009, 07:06 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,972,761 times
This is why Alaska is my most desired state to visit right now...

Uploaded on March 31, 2008 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdpayetphotography/archives/date-posted/2008/03/31/ - broken link)
by smilesbypayet

Uploaded on October 7, 2006 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tbd1/archives/date-posted/2006/10/07/ - broken link)
by tbd1

Uploaded on July 10, 2008 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarbah77/archives/date-posted/2008/07/10/ - broken link)
by sarbah77

Uploaded on June 30, 2008 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_leahy_photos/archives/date-posted/2008/06/30/ - broken link)
by brandon_leahy

Old 12-20-2009, 11:57 PM

4,925 posts, read 9,788,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

Come to Oregon and Washington and see the Cascades from the east side...not near the clouds, not near the rain...much more sun and many more views of the mountains!

Old 12-21-2009, 01:42 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,118,627 times
My heart belongs to the Cascades, Bend Oregon, Sisters, Joseph Oregon. Deschutes Nat'l Forest, Ochoco Range.

Alaska is breathtaking, you need to see it to experience it. I loved it there.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:47 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,892,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
This is why Alaska is my most desired state to visit right now...

Uploaded on March 31, 2008 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cdpayetphotography/archives/date-posted/2008/03/31/ - broken link)
by smilesbypayet

Uploaded on October 7, 2006 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tbd1/archives/date-posted/2006/10/07/ - broken link)
by tbd1

Uploaded on July 10, 2008 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarbah77/archives/date-posted/2008/07/10/ - broken link)
by sarbah77

Uploaded on June 30, 2008 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandon_leahy_photos/archives/date-posted/2008/06/30/ - broken link)
by brandon_leahy
Beautiful pictures. I can't wait to personally visit Alaska.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,819,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
The Sierras are "sub-ranges" of the Rocky Mountains which stretch from Alaska to Mexico; they include all the ranges in the Western U.S. including the Sierras, the Cascades, etc.

No the Rockies DO NOT include the Sierra Nevada Range, the Cascades, or the Alaska Ranges.

Simply not true.

I'm from Seattle. Born and bred, 3rd generation. I've traveled extensively (48 states). So I've seen every mountain range in this country. So you'd expect me to say the Cascades are my favorite. And they're close. As for Mountains in the lower 48, Mt. Rainier itself is the most majestic in my view. With a nearly 12,000 foot vertical rise, it is simply massive and commands your attention.

But growing up in Seattle means appreciating another range of mountains. The Olympics.

Now mind you, a view of Mt. Rainier is sensational to have, but in my view, being able to view an Olympic Mountain Sunset over Puget Sound is one of life's greatest joys. They rise to about 8,000 feet. But because they rise up from the water, they are simply spectacular.

The Olympics HAVE to be in this conversation. That they're not doesn't surprise me. Most people in the US don't know they exist..

Last edited by JustCallMeTC; 12-21-2009 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.