U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: The Most Scenic Mountain Range?
Appalachians 15 20.00%
Rockies 21 28.00%
Cascades 27 36.00%
Alaskan Ranges 12 16.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 AM
 
Location: In The Outland
6,023 posts, read 11,901,272 times
Reputation: 3535

Advertisements

The Montana Eastern Front of the Rocky Mountains.


A pocket lake in the Southern Cabinet Range (in the northern Montana Rockies)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2009, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Cary, North Carolina
42 posts, read 201,518 times
Reputation: 40
What I don't get is how do all of you people appreciate mountains that are 60% bleak and barren? The Rocky Mountains, in my opinion, mostly just look like barren rocks. (Hence the name Rocky). At least the Appalachian and Cascades provide beautiful greenery. The Rockies do have trees, but they don't add any green.
Here are some examples:
Rockies:
Attachment 55020
Attachment 55021
Appalachians:
Attachment 55022
Attachment 55023
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Cary, North Carolina
42 posts, read 201,518 times
Reputation: 40
A perfect example of barren Rockies is rickers response just above my previous one. You call that natural beauty when you have the Appalachians? The Rockies look okay, but to me, they are not even close to the Great Smokies, Blue Ridge, Adirondacks, and Whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 02:59 PM
 
138 posts, read 705,112 times
Reputation: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flute View Post
A perfect example of barren Rockies is rickers response just above my previous one. You call that natural beauty when you have the Appalachians? The Rockies look okay, but to me, they are not even close to the Great Smokies, Blue Ridge, Adirondacks, and Whites.
To each his own, I guess. I happen to think the Appalachians, Smokies, etc. don't come close to the stark, dramatic beauty of the Rockies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 03:39 PM
 
2,352 posts, read 1,816,712 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdswines View Post
To each his own, I guess. I happen to think the Appalachians, Smokies, etc. don't come close to the stark, dramatic beauty of the Rockies.
Which themselves pale in comparison to the Cascades or the Olympics..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Rural Northern California
1,019 posts, read 2,484,114 times
Reputation: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
The Sierras are "sub-ranges" of the Rocky Mountains which stretch from Alaska to Mexico; they include all the ranges in the Western U.S. including the Sierras, the Cascades, etc.
No, I think you're getting the Rocky Mountains confused with the Western Cordillera (which include all of the mountains in the Western Part of North America). The Rockies are the Rockies, and include most of the mountains in the Eastern Half of the Western Cordillera, but end in Utah at the Wasatch Front. Then you have the Basin and Range province, which is geologically distinct from the Rockies, and finally, continuing East, you eventually come to the Sierra Nevada, which is geologically distinct from both the Basin and Range and the Rocky Mountains. The Sierra Nevada are a subrange of the Pacific Coast Ranges, as are the Cascades, Olympics, Oregon Coast Ranges, California Coast Ranges, and the Saint Elias Mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 04:20 PM
 
2,352 posts, read 1,816,712 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
No, I think you're getting the Rocky Mountains confused with the Western Cordillera (which include all of the mountains in the Western Part of North America). The Rockies are the Rockies, and include most of the mountains in the Eastern Half of the Western Cordillera, but end in Utah at the Wasatch Front. Then you have the Basin and Range province, which is geologically distinct from the Rockies, and finally, continuing West, you eventually come to the Sierra Nevada, which is geologically distinct from both the Basin and Range and the Rocky Mountains. The Sierra Nevada are a subrange of the Pacific Coast Ranges, as are the Cascades, Olympics, Oregon Coast Ranges, California Coast Ranges, and the Saint Elias Mountains.

Fixed that for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Rural Northern California
1,019 posts, read 2,484,114 times
Reputation: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Fixed that for you.
Haha, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 05:15 PM
 
Location: In The Outland
6,023 posts, read 11,901,272 times
Reputation: 3535
Big Salmon Lake in the Bob Marshal Wilderness Complex located in the U.S.A. Northern Rocky Mountains.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 11:42 PM
 
Location: Rural Northern California
1,019 posts, read 2,484,114 times
Reputation: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Which themselves pale in comparison to the Cascades or the Olympics..



Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Big Salmon Lake in the Bob Marshal Wilderness Complex located in the U.S.A. Northern Rocky Mountains.

Beautiful shots! This isn't as impressive as those two, but it's one I took the second week of fall, on the West side of monitor pass (Sierra Nevada):

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top