U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:59 PM

999 posts, read 1,383,243 times

Advertisements

Springfield Ma has produced Shadows fall , Killswitch Engaged , All That Remains and the whiney whoa is me rock band staind. And just down the road in Hartford Fates Warning was formed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 09:24 PM

910 posts, read 796,877 times
Cincinnati's scene is unimpressive imo. We mostly have crappy metalcore bands fronted by 17-18 year old scene kid brats.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:45 AM

845 posts, read 1,052,829 times
I would hardly call it a scene, but Richmond, VA gave birth to bands like GWAR, Lamb of God, Municipal Waste, the Deceased and some other undrground/unsigned bands. There's more of a hardcore and punk scene here it seems. Not country despite popular opinion. Thank god! A lot of the bands have played at places like The National, and Alley Cats. There is another place downtown that changed names, don't know what it's called now. Most of these clubs cater to most forms of music though.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:47 AM

3,235 posts, read 5,147,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 614citydweller View Post
ok you all are thinking of old-man metal bands. COLUMBUS, OH is where it's at. Attack Attack!, Miss May I, The Crimosn Armada, The Devil Wears Prada (technically from Dayton), My Ticket Home, and soon-to-be signed Death of an Era. Just to name a few
Those are some of the worst bands to come out in recent years. Trendy scenster garbage played by a bunch of people who are more concerned about image than the music.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:19 AM

137 posts, read 121,048 times
New York City (and it's suburbs) have produced some real metal/hardcore/hard rock gems.

I'll list my personal Favs:

Type O Negative - RIP Peter Steele. The reason I embraced metal back in 1995 at the tender age of 15. IMO, the greatest band to come out of Brooklyn, ever.

Monster Magner - If you want to know what an acid trip "sounds" like, this is the band for you. Dave Wyndorff is one bad ass mofo.

Manowar - Completely OTT and a bit of a joke now, but Hail and Kill is one of the greatest metal songs of all time. I was surprised to learn that they are from Long Island. The imagery and sound is very European, Power-metalesque.

Virgin Steele - A similar sound to Manowar, but a little more self aware. Completely epic.

Dream Theater - These guys can play. And Images and Words is a classic. A little self indulgent at times, but who cares, these guys can pull it off. Sad to hear that Portnoy is no longer with the band. Seeing them open for Maiden this past summer at MSG was orgasmic.

Life of Agony - From the pummeling hardcore/metal hybrid of their debut, to the more soulful, almost grungy style of their latter albums, they are a real unique and powerful band (and awesome live).

Pist.On. - A little known band from Brooklyn, who were from the same scene as Type O. They kind of sound like a hybrid between the latter and Paradise Lost, which is a good thing. Total gloom induced metal euphoria.

Uneartly Trance - Atmospheric black metal meets drone. Harsh and dark, not for the faint of heart.

Honorable mentions: The entire NYHC scene. Quicksand, Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, Shelter, Carnivore (Pete Steele's first band). Agression and anger personified.

I'm sure i've left a few out, but this will do for now.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:11 PM

999 posts, read 1,383,243 times
when talking about NYC bands how could you forget Prong , Anthrax and Overkill. All great metal band back in their day.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:17 PM

137 posts, read 121,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
when talking about NYC bands how could you forget Prong , Anthrax and Overkill. All great metal band back in their day.

Overkill is an oversight, my bad. I never really got into Anthrax, they were always the inferior thrash band of the "big four". Prong are cool too, highly influential.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:37 PM

5,262 posts, read 7,770,281 times
Sw FL

Old 09-26-2010, 11:43 PM

965 posts, read 1,184,613 times
I have no idea. Raleigh supposedly had a good metal scene during the 80s/early 90s - Corrosion of Conformity came from there. Charlotte had a decent glam metal scene for a while, but I haven't heard much (apart from some hardcore and straight-edge type punk bands) from there for a while.

But the NC Triangle has always had a very, very, very large indie rock and pop scene (Superchunk, Archers of Loaf, Polvo, Metal Flake Mother/Squirrel Nut Zippers, Picasso Trigger, The Connells, Dillon Fence, among many others), and the various attempts at metal (and hip hop as well) here haven't ever caught on. There's something of a small but tight noise-rock/experimental scene here, and I wonder if something might grow out of that.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM

1 posts, read 954 times
well I was going to ask as well...what the best metal scene is because I live in Tampa,FL....and I was thinking about opening up my own metal band promoting business and I was all like Tampa is not a good place to do it...but I can see it has potentital just like anywhere else in the U.S. thank you guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.