U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 05:21 PM

513 posts, read 295,029 times

Advertisements

Interesting and convenient timing on this as I'm on the hunt to find a better place to be a progressive / heavy rock musician:

How Metal Is Your City? | NOISEY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 07:20 AM

Another, covering music, bands, and fans in general:

Here Are The Top 50 Cities For Music Fans In The U.S. | Metal Injection

Phoenix doesn't even register. I need to get out of this crapstain of a town.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:28 AM

245 posts, read 225,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Another, covering music, bands, and fans in general:

Here Are The Top 50 Cities For Music Fans In The U.S. | Metal Injection

Phoenix doesn't even register. I need to get out of this crapstain of a town.
Tucson, Tempe, and Phoenix all make the list on top 100 metal cities in the post above yours.

Your list probably just represents musicians per capita, which means nothing in terms of quality original music.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:42 AM

Phoenix metro isn't on the second list (Tempe is pretty far down the first)... and Tuscon isn't Phoenix area. It's in the southern part of the state.

Also, this city is pretty infamous for having a crappy scene. Every musician I've known from here has echoed that sentiment. Quality of having a couple of notable artists is nice and all, but when there's not much going on, it's hard to make friends, form bands/projects, have a regular scene to mill about in, etc.

Last edited by Mr_Polymath; 09-27-2016 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-27-2016, 09:13 AM

245 posts, read 225,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Polymath View Post
Phoenix metro isn't on the second list (Tempe is pretty far down the first)... and Tuscon isn't Phoenix area. It's in the southern part of the state.

Also, this city is pretty infamous for having a crappy scene. Every musician I've known from here has echoed that sentiment. Quality of having a couple of notable artists is nice and all, but when there's not much going on, it's hard to make friends, form bands/projects, have a regular scene to mill about in, etc.
I hear you.

Back in Memphis, I actually had a great time as a musician. I knew several bands who toured regularly, ran quality studios, and local acts were always very appreciative and helpful in finding me bands looking for musicians, projects, gigs, etc. There are very talented musicians literally everywhere.

I'm in the Music City now, and I definitely don't feel the same love for music or community overall, it's mainly just business. I have met a couple of friendly and helpful musicians (mainly due to my attractive female bandmate at the time), but a lot of snotty ones.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:39 PM

^
I always wondered that about Nashville. I kinda assumed that it was a lot about country (not anywhere near the top of my preferred genre list) specifically, and being "successful" at it.

Phoenix actually has decent, and original bands IME... for the most part. It's nice to not have a "sound" that everyone's chasing around here. The scene (if you could call it that) is just so miniscule. There's very few venues that host local talent, no local spots where musician types would hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or