Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:21 PM

14 posts, read 69,516 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for the US city that has the best four season weather, where one distinctly feels the changing of the seasons, but isn't exasperated by any, specifically, I would it define as:

1. Not hitting temperature extremes, no less than 35 in winter and (preferably) no hotter than the 85 in summer.

2. No over-abundance of rain

3. No serious natural disaster problems (hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc.)

4. Lots of sunshine, even in winter

5. Seeing the leaves fall in autumn, the trees go barren in winter, the flowers bloom in spring, and outdoor bliss throughout summer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:08 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Maybe Indianapolis? Columbus? St. Louis? Scottsbluff? You're not going to find any one place that meets all of your criteria, but the Lower Midwest is the best fit.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:16 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
You're asking for a lot, maybe even too much. But if there is it's probably somewhere around Dover, Delaware. It gets a little colder and warmer than you'd like but It's pretty much spot on otherwise.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:21 PM

443 posts, read 1,346,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggoat View Post
I'm looking for the US city that has the best four season weather, where one distinctly feels the changing of the seasons, but isn't exasperated by any, specifically, I would it define as:

1. Not hitting temperature extremes, no less than 35 in winter and (preferably) no hotter than the 85 in summer.

3. No serious natural disaster problems (hurricanes, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc.)

5. Seeing the leaves fall in autumn, the trees go barren in winter, the flowers bloom in spring, and outdoor bliss throughout summer
Um, if you never want the temperatures to go below freezing (your qualification was 35 minimum) how will the trees be "barren" in the winter? Also, to get fall color you will need to live in a "colder" climate for fall/winter as concentrated groves of trees that change color are typically located in locales that experience cool to cold fall and winters.

Anyway, I know the answer to this post because I've lived there. There are two choices for 4 complete seasons...Los Alamos New Mexico and Flagstaff Arizona:

1) Both are located at nearly the same latitude...~36 degrees north and both are at around 7000 feet in elevation.
2) Latitudinally they are too far south to get the extreme cold that say Denver or Salt Lake City might get being 400 miles further north. Arctic air intrusions (a few days at 0F or below) are very, very rare.
3) Elevation wise, they are high enough to not be too wet and cloudy in winter nor are they too hot or humid (no humidity really) to be uncomfortable in summer.

I lived in Los Alamos for nearly 4 years and in that time the summer temps never got above 85. Summers were awesome...very comfortable, no humidity and LOTS of sunshine...a few afternoon thunderstorms in August that would cool things down nicely and make everything smell good. In winter we never had a temp below 10F...generally highs were in the 40s and lows in the upper 20s. A few (less than 3) snowstorms per year...10 inches or so...usually would melt in town within a few days. Fall was gorgeous, beautiful aspen color in town starting in early October...weather was crisp and cool at night and warm during the day. Spring was also beautiful...similar weather to fall although slightly cooler.

So, my vote would be Los Alamos or Flagstaff. 4 clearly distinct seasons with no extreme temps (less than 10F or > than 85F) every year...no matter if it is warmer or cooler than "average".

Some might ask, if Los Alamos why not Santa Fe? Well, Santa Fe is actually about 1000 foot lower in elevation than Los Alamos which makes a BIG difference in the summer...Santa Fe can easily get above 90 which can get uncomfortable in a place where not all homes have AC.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:33 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
The answer to this question is blatantly obvious.

California.

No before all y'all scream "EARTHQUAKES", CA hasn't had a big one in quite awhile. Bad earthquakes are extremely rare, and when they happen, it typically isn't the end of the world for most folks.

I lived in CA from birth (1983) until 2007. The only memorable earthquakes were Loma Prieta, Landers, and Northridge. All of the other ones were fairly minor tremblers, not to mention, the chances of dying or getting injured in a earthquake are miniscule.

So, OP, if you are willing to deal with ~ 3 bad earthquakes every 24 years, than CA is your place. Any of the counties stretching up the coast will suit you fine, though the further north you go, the more rain you are bound to get.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:09 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
The answer to this question is blatantly obvious.

California.

No before all y'all scream "EARTHQUAKES", CA hasn't had a big one in quite awhile. Bad earthquakes are extremely rare, and when they happen, it typically isn't the end of the world for most folks.

I lived in CA from birth (1983) until 2007. The only memorable earthquakes were Loma Prieta, Landers, and Northridge. All of the other ones were fairly minor tremblers, not to mention, the chances of dying or getting injured in a earthquake are miniscule.

So, OP, if you are willing to deal with ~ 3 bad earthquakes every 24 years, than CA is your place. Any of the counties stretching up the coast will suit you fine, though the further north you go, the more rain you are bound to get.
Except that in the parts of California where there is sun in winter, there is not much of a fall or winter to speak of. The areas where there is a decent fall it either gets too cold or too much rain or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post
Um, if you never want the temperatures to go below freezing (your qualification was 35 minimum) how will the trees be "barren" in the winter? Also, to get fall color you will need to live in a "colder" climate for fall/winter as concentrated groves of trees that change color are typically located in locales that experience cool to cold fall and winters.
Parts of the Northwest rarely go below freezing, but the trees still go barren in the winter.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:24 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Except that in the parts of California where there is sun in winter, there is not much of a fall or winter to speak of. The areas where there is a decent fall it either gets too cold or too much rain or both.
Well, with the parameter of 35°, there will be no "winter" to be had anyway.

And come on, what do you call that season of the fires, Santa Anas, and the leaves crackling under your feet? That is Fall to a Southern Californian.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:41 AM

152 posts, read 221,442 times
San Fransisco

Old 12-16-2009, 04:51 AM

366 posts, read 297,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlover View Post

Anyway, I know the answer to this post because I've lived there. There are two choices for 4 complete seasons...Los Alamos New Mexico and Flagstaff Arizona:

1) Both are located at nearly the same latitude...~36 degrees north and both are at around 7000 feet in elevation.
2) Latitudinally they are too far south to get the extreme cold that say Denver or Salt Lake City might get being 400 miles further north. Arctic air intrusions (a few days at 0F or below) are very, very rare.
3) Elevation wise, they are high enough to not be too wet and cloudy in winter nor are they too hot or humid (no humidity really) to be uncomfortable in summer.

I lived in Los Alamos for nearly 4 years and in that time the summer temps never got above 85. Summers were awesome...very comfortable, no humidity and LOTS of sunshine...a few afternoon thunderstorms in August that would cool things down nicely and make everything smell good. In winter we never had a temp below 10F...generally highs were in the 40s and lows in the upper 20s. A few (less than 3) snowstorms per year...10 inches or so...usually would melt in town within a few days. Fall was gorgeous, beautiful aspen color in town starting in early October...weather was crisp and cool at night and warm during the day. Spring was also beautiful...similar weather to fall although slightly cooler.

So, my vote would be Los Alamos or Flagstaff. 4 clearly distinct seasons with no extreme temps (less than 10F or > than 85F) every year...no matter if it is warmer or cooler than "average".

Some might ask, if Los Alamos why not Santa Fe? Well, Santa Fe is actually about 1000 foot lower in elevation than Los Alamos which makes a BIG difference in the summer...Santa Fe can easily get above 90 which can get uncomfortable in a place where not all homes have AC.
New Mexico has spectacular weather. I agree.

Old 12-16-2009, 04:57 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggoat View Post

The closest you're going to get to that would be the coastal areas of the Carolinas. Wilmington, NC...Charleston, SC....Myrtle Beach/Conway, SC.
Mild four season climate overall with about 2 weeks of over 90 degree heat on average. Less intense the closer to the ocean you are. They also have a wonderful invention there called air-conditioning which helps one cope. Plenty of sunshine, 250 days or so. A threat of hurricanes but mathematically rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.